Sharing surgical experience

Menda
Menda Member Posts: 128
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my prophalatic (sp) double mastecomy with silicone implants on Thursday. 1) did not need to spend the night. 2) did need someone with me and still do. 3) wore a "patio dress " worked perfectly. 4) pain is tolerable with meds. 5)tubes pinned into patio dresses. 6) deep breaths sneezing and coughing hurt. Lastly , not pleasant but better than I expected. Hope this helps.

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    thank you
    Thank you for sharing this! I'm having the my mastectomy (double) in 5 days, with expanders put in also. I'm nervous about the hospital stay, wondering how long I'll have to stay. Don't like the idea of being there by myself :(
    Glad to hear you're doing ok & hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Thanks again for sharing, I'm getting more nervous by the day as mine approaches, and I'm not a nervous type of person by nature, so for me to start losing my cool is really bothering me.
    *hugs to you**
    Heather
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128

thank you
    Thank you for sharing this! I'm having the my mastectomy (double) in 5 days, with expanders put in also. I'm nervous about the hospital stay, wondering how long I'll have to stay. Don't like the idea of being there by myself :(
    Glad to hear you're doing ok & hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Thanks again for sharing, I'm getting more nervous by the day as mine approaches, and I'm not a nervous type of person by nature, so for me to start losing my cool is really bothering me.
    *hugs to you**
    Heather

Hang in there you sound just
    Hang in there you sound just like I did. By the way your butt does pucker as they will you in....,LOL
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Menda said:

Hang in there you sound just
    Hang in there you sound just like I did. By the way your butt does pucker as they will you in....,LOL

Heather, you'll be okay
    It's always frightening before surgery (I've had 7). I'm just amazed at how it seems you just close your eyes, and what feels like seconds later...it's over!

I focus on God's truth and keep it on my mind. It gives me peace just as He promised! Every time I felt that fear, I'd claim HIS words over it.

Here are some I'd meditate on that I'd like to share with you:

"For YOU are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory" ~ Psalm 32:7

"Don't be aftraid, for I AM with you. Do not be dismayed, for I AM your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand"

~Isaiah 41:10

Menda - Praise God you're feeling good!!

Hugs and blessings,

Sylvia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    sea60 said:

Heather, you'll be okay
    It's always frightening before surgery (I've had 7). I'm just amazed at how it seems you just close your eyes, and what feels like seconds later...it's over!

I focus on God's truth and keep it on my mind. It gives me peace just as He promised! Every time I felt that fear, I'd claim HIS words over it.

Here are some I'd meditate on that I'd like to share with you:

"For YOU are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory" ~ Psalm 32:7

"Don't be aftraid, for I AM with you. Do not be dismayed, for I AM your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand"

~Isaiah 41:10

Menda - Praise God you're feeling good!!

Hugs and blessings,

Sylvia

Menda and Heatherbelle :-)) Please take care it will be okay
    as you both can see that many of sisters in Pink have walked this path .. I myself had my bi-lateral mac'tmy on 1/12/10 ..stayed 5 days in hospital - allergic to PCN, so my stay was a bit longer - plus here in California .. mact-my patients having lumph node testing stay a few days, otherwise it is a 23 hour stay .. I can hardly imagine - my surgery alone was 6 1/2 hours, plus recovery time.

First few days a blur .. hurts to lift your arms to pick up or grab for something, I could hardly type on my cell phone .. coming over here to our board - forget it.

Menda .. I did the same thing in pinning my tubes to the inside of whatever I was wearing. Have someone wash your hair if possible - sponge baths .. well, I jumped into the bath tub with the assistance of my husband, and let me tell you .. it took 3 people to pull me out .. okay in fairness our master bath tub is oversized and deep .. not a pratical place for my first bath aka sponge bath .. so I then opted for the shower .. another mistake ... you think I would learned something for my bath experience .. I don't know just want to feel human, normal.

I also found that having cups, plates at mid range laying on countertops helped, same for milk or anything that I needed to grab from refrigerator. I moved my arms all the type .. circles, back and forward .. by 1 week check up with Breast Cancer doctor, I had full range motion and did not need to go to Physical Therapy. Whooo YA .. only piece of cake I experience .. since chemo stated back on Sept. 6, 2009.

Snaps and button are your best friends . I also opted for wife beater T-Shirts to protect my new boobies from blouses. Just extra protection .. cheaper than tank tops for women - also the Jockey brand is 100% cotton and breaths.

Best of Luck - my sisters:

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Menda so glad
    Menda so glad your surgery is over. I'm assuming you are having reconstruction??? I'm surprised you didn't stay in the hospital longer. I had bilateral mastectomies with no reconstruction June 22 and spent 2 nights. I definitely agree on moving arms as much as possible. Also, my hubby gets out an assortment of dishes & glassware every morning for my use as it's still quite uncomfortable to raise the arms to pick up items in the cabinet. Then too, I'm only 4'9". lol

Heather it's only natural to be a bit nervous. As much as we prepare ourselves before surgery (like reading these message boards) we're all different. You'll be fine and when you're able we'll be right here waiting to talk with you:)
    Char
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    just smile
    Don't laugh!! ha ha My husband would crack-me-up and it would hurt like hell. I'd hold a pillow firmly against my chest to supprrt the movement. I love to laugh! I too had bilateral mastectomy last June O9. I't all be good, I am very happy with how things have turned out so far, Praise Jesus. I have barbie boobs right now (no nips), I went from a 38DD, to no breasts, to a 36B. I love not having to wear a harness anymore. Just take care of yourself and be postive. God Bless Alison
  • webbwife50
    under garments
    Someone on here mentioned a camisol for post mastectomy. Before my surgery I went to the boobie store and sure enough it was a wonderful ctton camisol with little pads you could insert if you wanted to help your chest look somewhat normal. It had pockets for the tubes and was the most comfortable and useful, it was pretty and feminine too. And insurance covered it!!!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

under garments
    Someone on here mentioned a camisol for post mastectomy. Before my surgery I went to the boobie store and sure enough it was a wonderful ctton camisol with little pads you could insert if you wanted to help your chest look somewhat normal. It had pockets for the tubes and was the most comfortable and useful, it was pretty and feminine too. And insurance covered it!!!

Hi
    Hi! I too love my camisole. Hubby & I went grocery shopping last night and I put on my camisole with those cute cotton inserts and I felt somewhat human:) lol The pockets to hold the drains were wonderful. Thankfully my surgeon removed my drains one week post op. I washed my camisole on gentle cycle w/cold water and it came out great. It has to be dried flat though. I ordered a second one that I have to pick up next week so I can wear one while the other is drying. I'm still wearing a compression bra 24/7.
    Char
  • webbwife50
    cahjah75 said:

Hi
    Hi! I too love my camisole. Hubby & I went grocery shopping last night and I put on my camisole with those cute cotton inserts and I felt somewhat human:) lol The pockets to hold the drains were wonderful. Thankfully my surgeon removed my drains one week post op. I washed my camisole on gentle cycle w/cold water and it came out great. It has to be dried flat though. I ordered a second one that I have to pick up next week so I can wear one while the other is drying. I'm still wearing a compression bra 24/7.
    Char

gifts
    I think they should just give those camisols to any women who has just had a mastectomy. It use to make me feel better just having it on! I felt pretty, well maybe.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member

gifts
    I think they should just give those camisols to any women who has just had a mastectomy. It use to make me feel better just having it on! I felt pretty, well maybe.

I hated my camisole and wore it only once!
    I was really glad my ins covered the $60. But I did use the little detachable pockets for the drain bulb.

I was very comfortable with nothing but my snap down the front nitegown (and underware of course). I had a single mastectomy so the little puff pretend boob was usless cause it didn't drape to match. But I felt trapped in it and it was hot. Within six weeks I had my silcone fake boob and mastectomy bras and looked like before...actually better cause a certified fitter gave me my proper size bra (for the first time in my life).

But some here just loved their camisoles, so I guess everyone has to find out for themselves. I didn't have reconstruction so maybe that makes a difference too.

Hugs, Judy :-)