Port on Monday

MOrtiz0810
MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So I'm having the port put in this Monday! After 2 surgeries, this should be a piece of cake! The nurse already called me today to give me the instructions. But I would like to hear from the BC family as to your experience with having a port placed and how long did it take? I know times and protocols might vary a bit, but I was hoping that it was a simple procedure, and hopefully painless!

The nurse also told me that I can't drive myself so my guess is that it's done under general anesthesia? Someone had mentioned to me that they can do this procedure under local anesthesia. Anyone had this procedure done under local anesthesia?

Comments

• I had a local...
    and was awake during the entire procedure. My port was placed over my left breast, the right girl having been removed, and is a noticeable 'bump'. It can be uncomfy when when wearing a safety belt. I had a neighbor take me and a friend picked me up. The hospital also made sure I had some lunch before letting me go. It was 4 hours tops. I don't recall why I was not permitted to drive myself, but it was reasonable.

You will really appreciate the port come chemo time when the nurses are changing bags. It's much easier on you and the nurses.

One thing my nurses have shared, it needs to be flushed with saline every 6 weeks or so if it stays in after chemo. Not sure when or who will do that...also, only RNs should be allowed to access this divine convenience.

I would also like to add, make sure your chemo facility is clean. Nurses change the pillow cases between patients, wipe down recliners, and frankly, don't encourage a lot of extraneous visitors. You are NOT locked into any particular chemo facility, it's important that you feel comfortable and relaxed. I have a friend in the medical field and she arranged to have her chemo treatments in areas where she was working for the day and were convenient for her.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    I didn't have a port MOrtiz
    I didn't have a port MOrtiz since I didn't have chemo, but, want to wish you good luck on Monday.

I know the other bc survivors here will post more information for you and help.

Hugs, Megan
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    I was put out for mine. I
    I was put out for mine. I think about 4 hours. Mine was also put in my left upper arm instead of my chest. It was sore for awhile especially if i bumped it and for awhile i had a hard time stretching my arm out straight cuz it felt like it was pulling my vien but after awhile i didnt even notice it was there and glad i have it. It made blood draws, chemo and what ever lab tests they wanted to do so much easier and much less painful. It never hurt me to use my port but some ladys on here say they experienced some pain or discomfort.
    After the surgery there was no way i could of drove myself home i had some good drugs, they would of pulled me over for being under the influence. hehe!
    To take it out my doc said they can do it at the hospital or in her office with local anesthesia. Im having my removed next wednesday during my exchange surgery. Kinda sad to see it go cuz now they actually have to dig for my veins and they dont like to be very coperative.
    Good luck with your port!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    My port
    I was put under for my port too, so there was no way I could have driven home, even though I felt fine. They put mine over my right breast, since I had the mastectomy of my left breast. I had mine put in on a Monday and had my first chemo treatment on Wednesday. There was no real pain, just a little sore. You can see a little bump under my skin. Good luck, you'll be fine.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    put under.......
    I was put under general for the power port insertion procedure. I don't remember a thing...until they woke me up. Spent maybe 5 hours total in hospital.... it was swollen and sore for almost 2 weeks....upper left chest insertion. I chose the power port so it could also be used for PET Scans and MRIs. Good advice...make sure OBLY a nurse accesses it...techs are unfortunately not that familiar with it and it absolutely has to be flushed after uses. But what a wonder tool it is for chemo etc..........no more poking to find delecate veins! I did take a small pillow with me for seat belt drive home.......never had to take pain meds (which dr. gave me a prescription)......It was sore, not pain....took a while for swelling to go down....but it is now hardly noticeable... The usual port requires a 3/4" needle to access..mine requires a 1" needle which is less common. No matter........you will love having this. I have been told for removal it can be done in dr. office under local. But I expect to be keeping my a long time....it went in in March.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    how soon before chemo starts?
    Good thread, glad you asked one of the questions I forgot I had! When do you get your port put in? How soon before chemo starts? My mastectomy is next Thursday, and I'll be having a port put in for my chemo treatments, but was wondering when they would put it in. I didn't realize it would be that long of a surgery, I thought it would be just a quick little procedure!
  • how soon before chemo starts?
    Good thread, glad you asked one of the questions I forgot I had! When do you get your port put in? How soon before chemo starts? My mastectomy is next Thursday, and I'll be having a port put in for my chemo treatments, but was wondering when they would put it in. I didn't realize it would be that long of a surgery, I thought it would be just a quick little procedure!

The procedure itself is quick...
    in fact, that took 10-15 minutes, that's why I had the local. It was the ancillary stuff...hurry up and wait...that made it 4 hours.

The cancer sisters that rallied to my side when I was diagnosed had theirs put in during their cancer surgeries. They were the ones that told me to, "make sure you get a port!" I would have preferred my port placed during surgery, but as we know, we can't always get what we want.

I began chemo a week after my port was installed.

Hope this information is useful.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607

installed in hospital.....recovery time the longest
    the actual 'procedure' is less than 30 minutes I understand. for power port had to be in hospital and put under....the entire time there was @5 hours, but that included hours in recovery waiting for bp to raise, etc.
  • MOrtiz0810

My Oncologist told me that
    My Oncologist told me that Chemo will begin one week after my port is placed in, so I'm a little stressed thinking about Chemo, but trying to stay positive! I've had huge delays between my mastectomy(my original surgery was on 4/27) and starting chemo, because I had some wounds from the reconstruction that were healing at turtle speed, so the surgeon had to go back in to do some minor debridement. The minor complications that I had with the healing are rare, so please don't let that discourage you in any way!

I will send positive thoughts your way for your speedy recovery :)
  • MOrtiz0810
    Thank you so much for the
    Thank you so much for the feedback! It sounds to me like the port is going to be a huge advantage :)
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462

Hi Heather
    Had my mastectomy May 4. At the time I didn't know I would need chemo. Had my port put in June 21 and had my first chemo June 23. I was in the hospital for 5 hours for the port, but most of that was waiting and recovery. Since yours is being done the same time as your mastectomy, it won't be that much longer than your surgery.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    had my port put in and started chemo the same day!
    on june 10, i had my port put it, it was under general anesthesia, had chemo later that afternoon, left hospital at 6:30 in the evening (after being there 13 hrs. 37 min.) - wish i had someone to drive me home, but had to do it myself.
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69

PORT
    MY PORT WAS PUT IN THE SAME TIME AS MY MASTECTOMY, WHICH WAS 8-26-2009 AND MY FIRST CHEMO WAS 10-16-2009.
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Try and relax
    The port should be a breeze after what you have already been through and it difineatley serves its purpose well. It can get a little sore once in awhile, and it's awesome when they remove it!