port cath

atrue
atrue Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
i got my port a cath yesterday and it is killing me. please tell me this gets better. im hurting and cant move my right arm. my youngest had to bathe me.. i know im whining, when i got out of surgery all i could do was cry. im so emotional what is wrong with me..im supposed to go to work tomorrow. oh yal help me. pleasseee

Comments

• Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216
    port
    Idon't know if you are male or female, but if female, this is my take. No one told me to wear a bra, I thought no bra would be better, no straps to irriate area. But the weight of the breast was pulling the incision. The pain when I stood up was unbearable, worse then the colon surgery. As soon as I realized a bra worked, it became much more comfortable and bearable till healing. Hope if you are female, this might help you. Pat
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    If the pain is that intense
    you need to have it checked out. My pain was extreme, and they found that my port had twisted on itself in the few hours after it was placed. An x-ray to determine the cause of the pain found it, and I was kept overnight, for a re-do of the port the next day.

You should not be in severe pain. Since you are, it merits asking your doctors, and finding out why.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    abrub said:

If the pain is that intense
    you need to have it checked out. My pain was extreme, and they found that my port had twisted on itself in the few hours after it was placed. An x-ray to determine the cause of the pain found it, and I was kept overnight, for a re-do of the port the next day.

You should not be in severe pain. Since you are, it merits asking your doctors, and finding out why.

I had pain for several days, difficulty getting comfortable to
    fall asleep, couldn;t move left arm too much or turn fully (port was in upper left chest)so percocet was taken..After a few days, it was OK....Unfortunately, due to how bevel at end had turned, mine only worked 60% of the time tho it was much less painful than using veins for infusion (Also needed PICC when port had totally ceased to function as it needs to be flushed every 4 or so weeks when not in use, like if you're awaiting surgery and everyone forgets to tell you about the flushing)....Bests of resultsa with your treatment; let your onc know immediately of any problems you encounter with your chemo......steve
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member

port
    Idon't know if you are male or female, but if female, this is my take. No one told me to wear a bra, I thought no bra would be better, no straps to irriate area. But the weight of the breast was pulling the incision. The pain when I stood up was unbearable, worse then the colon surgery. As soon as I realized a bra worked, it became much more comfortable and bearable till healing. Hope if you are female, this might help you. Pat

You definitely need to get
    You definitely need to get it checked out. I had my power port put in Thursday before last, and I didn't even need aspirin.
    Call the surgeon's office hon.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Not much pain
    I was not in much pain from it, sore yes, and it took getting used to, but not severe pain. Call your surgeon!! It is understandable to be emotional, you are at the start of your journey with this I imagine. You will continue to be amazed at how strong you are, be kind to yourself. There is nothing you cannot handle!
  • Daffodil324
    Daffodil324 Member Posts: 59
    When I had my port put in
    the surgeon told me I'd probably feel like I'd been kicked in the chest by a mule the next day. It wasn't quite that bad, but it was sore, a badly bruised feeling. After a week or so it was much better.

If your port is causing you a lot of pain, I would go along with the advice of the others here and get it checked out to make sure nothing's really wrong.
  • atrue
    atrue Member Posts: 29

port

hi all port is getting
    hi all port is getting better alittle uncomfortable but i can deal with it. i guess i was so upset that i made it worse ( nerves are shot) going in the morning to have a cat scan to make sure things are all good with my colon surgery. then on wednesday i go for chemo(folfox). hoping for the best still scared. the bra idea works great....it helps alot. thank you all
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    atrue said:

hi all port is getting
    hi all port is getting better alittle uncomfortable but i can deal with it. i guess i was so upset that i made it worse ( nerves are shot) going in the morning to have a cat scan to make sure things are all good with my colon surgery. then on wednesday i go for chemo(folfox). hoping for the best still scared. the bra idea works great....it helps alot. thank you all

The can check your port in the CT scan
    Have them double check your port in the CT scan. That's how they found my problem. I'd had my port placed, and a CT scan later that day to check on my colon status. When I remained in such pain, the surgeon who placed my port remembered I'd mentioned that I was having a CT scan. She checked the scan, and saw that my port had twisted. Note that the port problem was not reported - she had to look at the scan to see my port because of my complaints.

Ask your drs to double-check. It can't hurt, and you're having the scan anyway.

Good luck and feel better!