Looks like it's The Netherlands and Spain!!!! World Cup update!

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
EXCITING soccer last night!!! No score for ever, then a header from Spain!!! WHAT a GAME!!!!

(I just hope the Dutch will make a showing in the finals...so far, as one dutchman said, "They have been consistently mediocre"...sigh...)

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    The beautiful game indeed
    Yeah -- just the final we wanted! I hope both teams show up with their A game and give us a thrill.

My husband is in sports heaven right now -- World Cup and Tour de France. He's logging lots more TV time than usual.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Odd thing about
    Odd thing about Soccer..though I lived in Germany for over 20 years, and my brother longed to be Pele (THE soccer hero of my childhood!) I never liked soccer then, and don't like it now! 30 seconds of VuVuzelas sends me over the edge of reason, I must say! If my life depended on who is playing, what the scores are, I am in deeeeep doo-doo! LOL Even as a kid, I never "got" any sport that could end in a tie! What's up with that??? My brother is a French citizen and lives in France, and he has a 20 year old son~ needless to say, they are in full soccer fever mode! LOL

Now baseball, on the other hand...Go Yankees! I had the great thrill of being in Oakland in April when the fabulous Yankees turned a triple play~ first one since 1968~ and I saw it! And I saw Derek Jeter and A-Rod...it hardly gets any better than that!And my sister went and saw them again last night~ and they won 3 games in a row! No ties! LOL

Which is why there are so many sports available to so many of us...and for those of us who don't like any of them~ opting out is good too!

I loved what my niece wrote on FB about The World Cup:

"The World Cup is a lot like the Twilight Series; a lot of running around, no one scores, and if you aren't a fan, you just don't understand it!"

That pretty much summed it up for me! But truly, I am happy for all who are caught up in things other than the cost of health care, the economy, and other things looming large in our lives!
    In that regard..Viva VuVuzelas!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Christine Louise
    chenheart said:

Odd thing about
    Odd thing about Soccer..though I lived in Germany for over 20 years, and my brother longed to be Pele (THE soccer hero of my childhood!) I never liked soccer then, and don't like it now! 30 seconds of VuVuzelas sends me over the edge of reason, I must say! If my life depended on who is playing, what the scores are, I am in deeeeep doo-doo! LOL Even as a kid, I never "got" any sport that could end in a tie! What's up with that??? My brother is a French citizen and lives in France, and he has a 20 year old son~ needless to say, they are in full soccer fever mode! LOL

Now baseball, on the other hand...Go Yankees! I had the great thrill of being in Oakland in April when the fabulous Yankees turned a triple play~ first one since 1968~ and I saw it! And I saw Derek Jeter and A-Rod...it hardly gets any better than that!And my sister went and saw them again last night~ and they won 3 games in a row! No ties! LOL

Which is why there are so many sports available to so many of us...and for those of us who don't like any of them~ opting out is good too!

"The World Cup is a lot like the Twilight Series; a lot of running around, no one scores, and if you aren't a fan, you just don't understand it!"

That pretty much summed it up for me! But truly, I am happy for all who are caught up in things other than the cost of health care, the economy, and other things looming large in our lives!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

OMG funny
    I'd rather shred this entire box of documents than watch baseball. Hmm, the shredding sounds like vuvuzelas -- puts me in the mood for more soccer!
  • chenheart

OMG funny
    I'd rather shred this entire box of documents than watch baseball. Hmm, the shredding sounds like vuvuzelas -- puts me in the mood for more soccer!

LOL Does that mean you like
    LOL Does that mean you like the Twilight Series too? We're doomed, I tell you, we're doomed! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughter is so good for the soul!

Hugs,
    Chen
  • KathiM
    chenheart said:

Odd thing about

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I never 'got' baseball.....
    Men with cute butts (THAT part is NICE) covered by VERY thin material...ROFL...

The seventh inning stretch....

Beer

More Beer...

Hummm, maybe I DO get baseball!!

Hup! Hup! Holland!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Christine Louise
    KathiM said:

I never 'got' baseball.....
    Men with cute butts (THAT part is NICE) covered by VERY thin material...ROFL...

The seventh inning stretch....

Beer

More Beer...

Hummm, maybe I DO get baseball!!

Hup! Hup! Holland!

Hugs, Kathi

So, Holland, ya think?
    I haven't decided who to cheer for, but I never can be neutral at a sporting event. I'd better get aligned soon and choose how to paint my face.

Holland, Netherlands, Dutch -- what's with all the seemingly unrelated names? And, why orange for the team when there's no orange in their flag? A strange, mysterious people, I think. (As for the Spanish ...)
  • chenheart

So, Holland, ya think?
    I haven't decided who to cheer for, but I never can be neutral at a sporting event. I'd better get aligned soon and choose how to paint my face.

Holland, Netherlands, Dutch -- what's with all the seemingly unrelated names? And, why orange for the team when there's no orange in their flag? A strange, mysterious people, I think. (As for the Spanish ...)

Primer..... Netherlands of
    Primer..... Netherlands of course means the low or nether part of the land mass, which the country Kathi calls her 2nd home is! Dutch is an incorrect geographical translation( by the Americans, of course!) of what the GI's THOUGHT the country/language was..namely Deutsch~ which means German! Holland is really the name of the country in it's closest translation, anyway! Whereas most everyone else would ask a person from the Netherlands how to say something in "Hollandish"...it was and now remains the misinformed Americans who ask how to say something in "Dutch." This has been assimilated into the language/culture so that it seemingly belongs there! Thus, the people in Holland speak Dutch...even though they really don't and never have~ unless they were speaking German!

Confused????? LOL
  • KathiM
    chenheart said:

Primer..... Netherlands of
    Primer..... Netherlands of course means the low or nether part of the land mass, which the country Kathi calls her 2nd home is! Dutch is an incorrect geographical translation( by the Americans, of course!) of what the GI's THOUGHT the country/language was..namely Deutsch~ which means German! Holland is really the name of the country in it's closest translation, anyway! Whereas most everyone else would ask a person from the Netherlands how to say something in "Hollandish"...it was and now remains the misinformed Americans who ask how to say something in "Dutch." This has been assimilated into the language/culture so that it seemingly belongs there! Thus, the people in Holland speak Dutch...even though they really don't and never have~ unless they were speaking German!

Confused????? LOL

Tee Hee...and even the Dutch have embraced it....
    "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much" and "As a finishing touch, God created the Dutch"...

Of course, MY fav (being with a dutchman is..."You can always tell a dutchman, but you can't tell him much!").

Holland is 2 of the provinces (like states) in The Netherlands. Noord and Zuid. These were the most important of the 7 provinces in the 17th century that made up the Republic of The Netherlands. Netherlands, as Chen said, means 'Low lands', referring to the fact that much of the country is under sea level. Every country calls other countries by whatever is pronounceable...(the dutch call the US...Verenigde Staten, for instance). Spain is Spanje, etc. Holland comes from Houtland, which means Wood Land (in Dutch). Diets is the origin of the word 'dutch', just like Deutsch, a form of a germanic language.

Orange came from the 'house of orange', the south of France, where the Royal Family originally came from. Now, the Royal Family is mainly German, because of the large amounts of princes and princesses who married Germans. The Netherlands is a monarchy, but also has a prime minister and cabinet, in The Hague (Den Haage, in dutch).

The Dutch were very important in America's history...look around...New York was originally 'New Amsterdam'. Wall Street was Wal Straat, Harlem is from Haarlem (a city in The Netherlands). The constitution was based on the 17th century Dutch constitution, when The Dutch Republic was one of the leading countries in the world. The bill of rights, too. The flag shares it's colors with at least 2 other countries: France (the stripes go side-to-side, the Dutch flag, up-and-down) and America. Many words are part of the English language, landscape, cookie. Just like many English words are in the Dutch language...PC, computer....

I'm showing off my 'training' that my Mother-in-Law insisted I do to 'get it right!'...rofl!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM said:

Tee Hee...and even the Dutch have embraced it....
    "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much" and "As a finishing touch, God created the Dutch"...

Of course, MY fav (being with a dutchman is..."You can always tell a dutchman, but you can't tell him much!").

Holland is 2 of the provinces (like states) in The Netherlands. Noord and Zuid. These were the most important of the 7 provinces in the 17th century that made up the Republic of The Netherlands. Netherlands, as Chen said, means 'Low lands', referring to the fact that much of the country is under sea level. Every country calls other countries by whatever is pronounceable...(the dutch call the US...Verenigde Staten, for instance). Spain is Spanje, etc. Holland comes from Houtland, which means Wood Land (in Dutch). Diets is the origin of the word 'dutch', just like Deutsch, a form of a germanic language.

Orange came from the 'house of orange', the south of France, where the Royal Family originally came from. Now, the Royal Family is mainly German, because of the large amounts of princes and princesses who married Germans. The Netherlands is a monarchy, but also has a prime minister and cabinet, in The Hague (Den Haage, in dutch).

The Dutch were very important in America's history...look around...New York was originally 'New Amsterdam'. Wall Street was Wal Straat, Harlem is from Haarlem (a city in The Netherlands). The constitution was based on the 17th century Dutch constitution, when The Dutch Republic was one of the leading countries in the world. The bill of rights, too. The flag shares it's colors with at least 2 other countries: France (the stripes go side-to-side, the Dutch flag, up-and-down) and America. Many words are part of the English language, landscape, cookie. Just like many English words are in the Dutch language...PC, computer....

I'm showing off my 'training' that my Mother-in-Law insisted I do to 'get it right!'...rofl!

Hugs, Kathi

As far as Spain's history....
    I'm forbidden to speak of it...ROFL...I would be asked to leave the country!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM said:

As far as Spain's history....
    I'm forbidden to speak of it...ROFL...I would be asked to leave the country!

Hugs, Kathi

*Good grief*
    Soccer is the most evolutionary backwards sport on the planet! I would have hoped that with the advancement of an opposable thumb, men would make use of it. Let's not neglect to consider those Neanderthals that watch the game and get involved in riots.

Rugby, there's a man's sport, men holding the ball and running at the same time! No time to writhe about faking an injury.

I, for one, will be quite happy when all this silliness is over.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Soccer
    My daughter likes to watch soccer. I tried, but what is that buzzing noise from the audience? Too much for me, but the players are great to watch.
  • KathiM

*Good grief*
    Soccer is the most evolutionary backwards sport on the planet! I would have hoped that with the advancement of an opposable thumb, men would make use of it. Let's not neglect to consider those Neanderthals that watch the game and get involved in riots.

Rugby, there's a man's sport, men holding the ball and running at the same time! No time to writhe about faking an injury.

I, for one, will be quite happy when all this silliness is over.

Basketball then falls there, too...
    I don't know if you heard, but when the Lakers won a few years ago, there was rioting all over L.A.

Actually, much of the rioting in any of these things is caused by the people who DON'T watch...they just look for an excuse to get wild...sigh...

And I agree with the fake injury. BUT, now there is a yellow card penalty waiting for any player who 'simulates' and injury...saw one in the Holland/Brazil game...I say, good for them!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    laurissa said:

Soccer
    My daughter likes to watch soccer. I tried, but what is that buzzing noise from the audience? Too much for me, but the players are great to watch.

I hate that, too....
    It's from the horns that the watchers have...crazy...if the game is slow, I turn it off because of the noise...

Hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    laurissa said:

Soccer

The buzzing is from the long
    The buzzing is from the long plastic horms called VuVuzelas! Sounds like a swarm of bees! Someone tried to bring one into Wimbleton! Without success, thankfully! And Yankee Stadium banned them too!

And much as I make fun of it all...riots and elevated blood pressure aside, at the end of the proverbial day, it's all Just A Game~ and a nice respite from real life...as in Beast Battling, Gulf oil spills, lying executives, war, and recession. To name a few! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥