Dry eyes & tearing - for Janice/Boppy

Christine Louise
Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Janice, I was afraid you wouldn't see this in the middle of the other thread. Dry eyes can occur when the composition (oil, water, mucus) and balance of tears changes. That can be due to hormonal changes, antihistimes (like they give during chemo), antidepressants and many other reasons.

From emedicine:
A symptom of Dry Eye Syndrome may be intermittent excessive tearing. When your eye becomes dry and irritated, it may initiate reflex tearing and produce a large amount of tears to try to get moist and comfortable again. Your eye can only handle so many tears; the rest pour down your cheeks. Those tears do not help your eyes, so soon your eyes become dry again, and the whole process may repeat itself.

I've read that vitamin A and omega3 fatty acid can help. My dry eyes are improving since chemo is behind me.

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Thanks for the info! I
    Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I am hoping mine will get better now that I am done with the chemo. Just one of the many things you learn during this journey. Thanks again. God Bless
    (((Hugs)))Janice
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thanks for the info! I
    Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I am hoping mine will get better now that I am done with the chemo. Just one of the many things you learn during this journey. Thanks again. God Bless
    (((Hugs)))Janice

Yes, thanks for the information ....
    I guess I am suffering from dry eye sydome .. You described my systoms to a Tee ..

Vicki Sam
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Eye drops and warm compress
    Forgot to say: eye drops definitely help. There are many on the market for dry eyes. Also, lying down with a warm, wet washcloth over your eyes helps.