helping others

lolad
lolad Member Posts: 670
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had contacted the I have wings foundation for breast cancer and shared my story with them. I wanted to volunteer somehow and help other breast cancer fighters. Well, the lady who started the foundation called me today. She is a survivor herself. She told me they have been wanting to start a program called secret angel, but havent had the right person or the time do the program. She told me that after reading my story she knew instantly that i was the person and asked if i would do it. It is sending out inspirational cards and pink bears to those that have been diagnosed. Many women dont reach out when they are told, i know i didnt. This is going to let them know that someone is there to reach out to. I am so happy she chose me to do this. I just feel blessed that i am able to help someone. I had nobody in the beginning and it was so hard. I cant wait to get started. I feel so blessed. I wanted to share this with my sisters here.

Laura

Comments

• Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    I'm in
    If there is any way I can help also, let me know. I would also love to do this in my area as well. Let me know how to start this here.
    Lorrie
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Balentine said:

I'm in
    If there is any way I can help also, let me know. I would also love to do this in my area as well. Let me know how to start this here.
    Lorrie

What an angel you are! Good
    What an angel you are! Good luck to you Laura! You will be great!

Sue :)
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    let us know . . .
    Laura,

That sounds wonderful! Please let us know what's involved and how it goes. Do they work with breast clinics to get names, or how do they do that? I agree - it's so hard when you're first diagnosed - I know I could have called someplace where there would have been someone to talk to, but I didn't do it - I just didn't feel like talking to someone I didn't know. I just figured that, if things got too rough, I'd ask for a referral to a counselor at my medical center. But, with drs, family & friends, I've made it this far without professional counseling. This website is just what I need right now - I know that I can check in with everyone here and see that I'm not alone with all the emotions I'm having. And, like you said, this will be a way for someone to reach out to a newly diagnosed person - not that person having to wonder who is even there to reach out to. Good luck - and, please, keep us updated!

Lynn
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MNLynn said:

let us know . . .
    Laura,

That sounds wonderful! Please let us know what's involved and how it goes. Do they work with breast clinics to get names, or how do they do that? I agree - it's so hard when you're first diagnosed - I know I could have called someplace where there would have been someone to talk to, but I didn't do it - I just didn't feel like talking to someone I didn't know. I just figured that, if things got too rough, I'd ask for a referral to a counselor at my medical center. But, with drs, family & friends, I've made it this far without professional counseling. This website is just what I need right now - I know that I can check in with everyone here and see that I'm not alone with all the emotions I'm having. And, like you said, this will be a way for someone to reach out to a newly diagnosed person - not that person having to wonder who is even there to reach out to. Good luck - and, please, keep us updated!

Lynn

Great Subject .. I've put out several feelers .. I know
    I want to give back someway .. somehow .. I may volunteer at my Oncologist office, bringing warm blankets and snacks to chemo patients ..... just a thought.

Vicki Sam
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    How nice
    What a wonderful thing to do I am sure it will be a blessing for all involved.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    How nice
    What a wonderful thing to do I am sure it will be a blessing for all involved.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Thank you for sharing this
    Thank you for sharing this heartwarming experience~ you will be perfect for the welcoming committee, we can tell how loving your heart is from your description of what happened! A great way to Pay It Forward! Congratulations!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    chenheart said:

Thank you for sharing this
    Thank you for sharing this heartwarming experience~ you will be perfect for the welcoming committee, we can tell how loving your heart is from your description of what happened! A great way to Pay It Forward! Congratulations!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

You are so sweet to do this
    You are so sweet to do this Laura! But, you always were sweet!

You will do so much good!

Thanks for doing this!

Hugs, Angie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Angie2U said:

You are so sweet to do this
    You are so sweet to do this Laura! But, you always were sweet!

You will do so much good!

Thanks for doing this!

Hugs, Angie

Wow that is wonderful. when
    Wow that is wonderful. when I am better I want to drive people to cancer treatments.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Love it!
    The Alamo Breast Cancer association here in San Antonio has people that sew beautiful pillows so you can place under your arm...that was so sweet!

I think that is such a great idea with the cards of inspiration & bears! Yes, you are blessed to be a part of that!

I've been wanting to call to see how I can help as well.

Thank you for being an inspiration!

Blessings to you. Let us know how it goes.

sea
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    sea60 said:

Love it!
    The Alamo Breast Cancer association here in San Antonio has people that sew beautiful pillows so you can place under your arm...that was so sweet!

I think that is such a great idea with the cards of inspiration & bears! Yes, you are blessed to be a part of that!

I've been wanting to call to see how I can help as well.

Thank you for being an inspiration!

Blessings to you. Let us know how it goes.

sea

Sitting with cancer patients through their treatments
    Sometimes just going to the cancer treatment centers and sitting and visiting with the patients is a big encouraging for them. Especially for some who have no one who goes with them to their treatments. Sharing God's word and/or just some encouragement and sharing your story and advice is a great shot in the arm for many patients going through this.
    Lorrie
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Laura
    Thats great. I know by your postings that you are a caring person. You'll do great.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    laurissa said:

Hi Laura
    Thats great. I know by your postings that you are a caring person. You'll do great.

How great Laura! Good luck
    How great Laura! Good luck with it!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    DianeBC said:

How great Laura! Good luck
    How great Laura! Good luck with it!

I can feel your excitement
    I can feel your excitement by reading your post. I'm going thru radiation now, but I too plan on helping when I get over this last hurdle. Receiving a pink bear sounds cool.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

I can feel your excitement
    I can feel your excitement by reading your post. I'm going thru radiation now, but I too plan on helping when I get over this last hurdle. Receiving a pink bear sounds cool.

Secret angels! What a great
    Secret angels! What a great name and a great organization to help with.

You will be great Laura!

Thanks for doing this!