Last minute advice for me

Comments

• KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Please don't drive yourself back
    Dear Aysemari,
    Please ask a friend, hire a cab or find another way to get home after your mastectomy. You will be in no shape to drive yourself after having anesthesia, pain medication, blood loss and the trauma/stress of the procedure. I hope all goes well with your surgery.Please keep us posted.
    Hugs, K
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    KayNYC said:

Please don't drive yourself back
    Dear Aysemari,
    Please ask a friend, hire a cab or find another way to get home after your mastectomy. You will be in no shape to drive yourself after having anesthesia, pain medication, blood loss and the trauma/stress of the procedure. I hope all goes well with your surgery.Please keep us posted.
    Hugs, K

check with the social worker on the unit
    The patient navigator or social worker can be of help with transportation issues when necessary. Please don't hesitate to ask for the ride home and help once you get home after surgery. These services are available through a variety of sources in most hospitals.
    Hugs, K
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Ayse
    I know in my case after my mastectomy, there was no way i could drive. You should really find someone to take you and bring you home. I dont even think they would let you drive yourself afterwards. Button shirts are exactly what you need. Just be easy on yourself and let yourself heal. Good luck
    Laura
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    lolad said:

Ayse
    I know in my case after my mastectomy, there was no way i could drive. You should really find someone to take you and bring you home. I dont even think they would let you drive yourself afterwards. Button shirts are exactly what you need. Just be easy on yourself and let yourself heal. Good luck
    Laura

Please call about Road to Recovery
    Ayse,

I just really want to echo Claudia's suggestion about the ACS' Road to Recovery Program.

It sucks that you've had bad experiences asking friends for help, but please keep in mind that Road to Recovery volunteers volunteer their time exactly for the reason that they WANT TO drive someone to and from an appointment, surgery, etc.

Ayse, don't leave those volunteers sitting there with no one to drive! Please take a look at the ACS' Road to Recovery page, and call them: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/SupportProgramsServices/Programs/road-to-recovery

Traci
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    TraciInLA said:

Ayse,

I just really want to echo Claudia's suggestion about the ACS' Road to Recovery Program.

It sucks that you've had bad experiences asking friends for help, but please keep in mind that Road to Recovery volunteers volunteer their time exactly for the reason that they WANT TO drive someone to and from an appointment, surgery, etc.

Ayse, don't leave those volunteers sitting there with no one to drive! Please take a look at the ACS' Road to Recovery page, and call them: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/SupportProgramsServices/Programs/road-to-recovery

Traci

Hey Ayse
    I can totally

Hey Ayse
    I can totally relate to how you feel about asking people to drive you...I also live alone,all my family members live far away....so I was forced on call on friends to drive me
    to and from my surgeries...your doctor will also want someone to stay with you at least overnight when you go home....now I have a couple of dear friends who were able to do this for me...but I still felt like I was imposing ..so I looked into what one does when one has no family to help...there are after care facilities for people who live alone...they will pick you up and take you to a place at least overnight where you will have good aftercare.Your insurance should cover the cost of this. Ask your hospital about this option. Or at least call your local ACS and tell them you need a ride to and from your surgeries. They have volunteers{people who have been there!}who will drive you. You absolutely cannot drive yourself home. You will be doped to the gills girl! Let us know what you figure out...there are a lot of us who have to go solo...but you're not alone!We are here to help....
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Ayse,

Traci

Hahaha if you put it that way!
    Promise Tracy, I will give them a call tomorrow,so they won't be with no one to drive.

I am getting the strong sense that I have underestimated my situation here.

Ayse
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    aysemari said:

Promise Tracy, I will give them a call tomorrow,so they won't be with no one to drive.

Ayse

Hey Ayse! Please don't
    Hey Ayse! Please don't drive yourself, please! We will all be worried to death about you and you don't want that, do you?

You take care of yourself and know that I am praying for you, ok?

Sue :)
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    aysemari said:

Ayse

Ayse
    If I lived close to you I swear I would come help you. I feel so bad you don't have help. After my surgery I did most things myself, but it was comforting to know if I couldn't I had my mom. She came down and helped me for 2 weeks.
    I wish you the very best.
    hugs 2 u
    Jennifer
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87

Ayse
    If I lived close to you I swear I would come help you. I feel so bad you don't have help. After my surgery I did most things myself, but it was comforting to know if I couldn't I had my mom. She came down and helped me for 2 weeks.
    I wish you the very best.
    hugs 2 u
    Jennifer

Aysemari,
    I would help, too.

Aysemari,

I would help, too. I don't want to pry and ask where you live but I am in the L.A. area.... if you are close, let me know.
    My family is out of town. I remember having it all worked out and at the last minute things changes and I felt the same way.

If we can help take that stress away.....

Take care.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

I'll be thinking of you
    You don't have to ask a friend or neighbor..get a cab or talk to a social worker about volunteer help to get you home. The better you take care of yourself the first few weeks will shorten your recovery time. We'll be there with you in our thoughts.

Good luck Ayse! Keeping you
    Good luck Ayse! Keeping you in my prayers!
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Ayse
    If you could send me a private message--I think I can help you. It seems you live very near to me.

Hugs, Renee
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Survivor Tips
    Hi Ayse,

I've got some great hospital tips and things on my website that I think might help you. You can find it under the Member Resource Library on this site. Just look for my picture. :)

Off the top of my head, a lanyard for your drains was key for me and facial wipes to wash my face helped since raising your arms is impossible for a while.

Good luck!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

I saw your site SamuraiMom!
    I saw your site SamuraiMom! It is very helpful!

Thanks for letting us know about it!
  • aysemari
    Sally5 said:

Aysemari,
    I would help, too.

Aysemari,

I would help, too. I don't want to pry and ask where you live but I am in the L.A. area.... if you are close, let me know.
    My family is out of town. I remember having it all worked out and at the last minute things changes and I felt the same way.

If we can help take that stress away.....

Take care.

I try to be strong
    but I feel defeated, realizing I can't do this on my own. It is very stressful
    to make these last minute arrangements since my initial plan fell through.
    I think I was just running around like a chicken with her head cut off.

Thank you all for your caring posts, thanks to you all I will be better
    prepared.

I really thank you from the bottom of my heart, you lifted me from
    a dark place and I see clear now what needs to be done.

Amazing what a discussion board can do!

Ayse
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    aysemari said:

I try to be strong
    but I feel defeated, realizing I can't do this on my own. It is very stressful
    to make these last minute arrangements since my initial plan fell through.
    I think I was just running around like a chicken with her head cut off.

Thank you all for your caring posts, thanks to you all I will be better
    prepared.

I really thank you from the bottom of my heart, you lifted me from
    a dark place and I see clear now what needs to be done.

Amazing what a discussion board can do!

Ayse

Glad that everyone helped
    Glad that everyone helped you Ayse! Good luck with your surgery!
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Good advice here
    I second all of it.

Is your masectomy going to be single or double? Reconstruction?

It will make your recovery time longer if it is double and if you have reconstruction. They may suggest at the hospital a home health nurse to come and empty your drains. Take them up on it! You will need help.

Get something for constipation ... dulcolax ... or whatever helps you because surgery and the pain meds will make you constipated! Take them when you get home from the hospital and it will help you from being miserable.

Get small cartons of milk b/c I couldn't lift a gallon of milk for a couple of weeks. Keep bowls, plates on the counter so you don't have to reach for them (only an issue though, if you have a double).

PLEASE take the help, advice, assistance that is available.
  • aysemari

Good advice here
    I second all of it.

Is your masectomy going to be single or double? Reconstruction?

It will make your recovery time longer if it is double and if you have reconstruction. They may suggest at the hospital a home health nurse to come and empty your drains. Take them up on it! You will need help.

Get something for constipation ... dulcolax ... or whatever helps you because surgery and the pain meds will make you constipated! Take them when you get home from the hospital and it will help you from being miserable.

Get small cartons of milk b/c I couldn't lift a gallon of milk for a couple of weeks. Keep bowls, plates on the counter so you don't have to reach for them (only an issue though, if you have a double).

PLEASE take the help, advice, assistance that is available.

Dawne. Hope
    Thank you for all your advice.

Where would I be without my sisters?

I am learning so so much from the posts on this board and am so lucky
    to have found this site.

I am getting a double mastectomy and my doctor does not believe that
    home care is necessary, my insurance does cover it but he needs to put
    in the order.

This weekend I will make my house a mastectomy haven.

Ayse
  • Dawne.Hope
    aysemari said:

Dawne. Hope
    Thank you for all your advice.

Where would I be without my sisters?

I am learning so so much from the posts on this board and am so lucky
    to have found this site.

I am getting a double mastectomy and my doctor does not believe that
    home care is necessary, my insurance does cover it but he needs to put
    in the order.

This weekend I will make my house a mastectomy haven.

Ayse

you're welcome!
    Does your doctor know that you're alone and have few to help?

Right now I want to call him a jerk! :) Sorry! But, grrrrrrr! At least until you get your drains out, having a nurse come in AT LEAST once a day would be very helpful, twice a day preferable. Some women on here changed their drains by themselves. I couldn't have done it. Having a double makes it especially tough!

Get a wedge pillow, that saved me from having to sleep in a recliner. It hurt to lay flat on my back for several weeks. Even now I still sleep on the wedge and I had my DMX in February! Get pillows too to surround you on both sides. Rolling over HURT with the drains in and the pillows keep me from doing so.

My heart goes out to you, Aysemari!

Praying all goes well. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

Much love,
    dh
  • Dawne.Hope

you're welcome!
    Does your doctor know that you're alone and have few to help?

Right now I want to call him a jerk! :) Sorry! But, grrrrrrr! At least until you get your drains out, having a nurse come in AT LEAST once a day would be very helpful, twice a day preferable. Some women on here changed their drains by themselves. I couldn't have done it. Having a double makes it especially tough!

Get a wedge pillow, that saved me from having to sleep in a recliner. It hurt to lay flat on my back for several weeks. Even now I still sleep on the wedge and I had my DMX in February! Get pillows too to surround you on both sides. Rolling over HURT with the drains in and the pillows keep me from doing so.

My heart goes out to you, Aysemari!

Praying all goes well. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

Much love,
    dh

More tips ...
    I thought of some more. Anything that requires use of your pec. muscles will hurt. I couldn't open my prescriptions because they were the kind where you had to push down and turn. I couldn't push down b/c of pain. Either make sure they give your prescriptions to you without the push down kind or have them open for you at the pharmacy. I had to have my cousin open them for me.

I was very active prior to surgery and they told me to not walk for exercise for two weeks. I thought that was a little over the top and went for a walk around the block. Mistake! Had terrible muscle spasms.

For me, the muscle relaxers (flexeril) helped me more than the narcotics for pain. If they prescribe them, take them regularly.

Much love,
    dh

P.S. I had immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders where they actually cut the pec. muscle. If you're not having reconstruction with the tissue expanders ... the pushing down won't be as much of a problem.
  • aysemari
    Hubby said:

No; Nothing you wrote
    I was just talking about how Ayse let us know where she lives and she seems like a very private person.

So I could just go back to her old post and remind everyone and hopefully someone would be close enough to offer a ride.

Nothing you wrote Jamie.

Sneaky one
    You got me figured out.

Ayse
  • aysemari
    Hubby said:

No; Nothing you wrote
    I was just talking about how Ayse let us know where she lives and she seems like a very private person.

So I could just go back to her old post and remind everyone and hopefully someone would be close enough to offer a ride.

Nothing you wrote Jamie.

Sneaky one
    You got me figured out.

Ayse