What is your favorite tip or advice you'd like to share

sea60
sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The very best "tried and true" tip a relative gave me was, if you scald your mouth by eating or drinking somethig hot, immediately swish a teaspoon of sugar in your mouth. It stops the burn and heals the tissue on contact.

Well, I don't know about you, but I do that quite frequently while enjoying my cup of joe...thank goodness for that piece of advice!

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Blessings and best wishes,

Sylvia

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Fingernail repair; refresh a disposal;remove food odor from hand
    Love this post. Mend a broken fingernail by cutting off a small portion of a tea bag. Place a small piece of the bag over the break and seal with a fingernail glue.

Take the baking soda you are replacing in your frig and pour it down the disposal to refresh.

Remove onion or garlic smell for your hands with lemon juice.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Cut an onion without tears
    Probably not a very scientic explanation, but it works: When you cut an onion, it releases a gas. When the gas rises and hits the moisture in your eyes, it turns to acid and makes you cry.

After slicing an onion, quickly hold the slices under running water to stop the gas. (I suppose you could dunk them in a bowl of water instead.) Then, continue to cut the onion and put the pieces under water until they're too small to mess with. You won't have cried at all or very little. Also, the more you keep your face away from the onion, the better.

I'm semi-famous in this town for being the only person who can cut an onion without crying. Many people bring me their onions to cut. Now you, too, can be famous in your town!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    for powdery mildew (i think that is what it was
    I used a solution of few drops of dish soap (kitchen like Joy), 1 quart water (4 cups), and 1 teaspoon of baking soda and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed our crape myrtles which had powdery mildew. Just spray the mildewed leaves. You don't have to worry about the wind blowing the solution back on you. When the leaves drop make sure you rake all the leaves and dispose of them.
  • sea60
    Marcia527 said:

for powdery mildew (i think that is what it was
    I used a solution of few drops of dish soap (kitchen like Joy), 1 quart water (4 cups), and 1 teaspoon of baking soda and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed our crape myrtles which had powdery mildew. Just spray the mildewed leaves. You don't have to worry about the wind blowing the solution back on you. When the leaves drop make sure you rake all the leaves and dispose of them.

WOW! Thanks Marcia
    I was just looking at my Crape Myrtle wondering what the heck that was...I'm going to mix some of that stuff and spray mine.

Now I don't have to cry buckets cutting those darn onions.

Great tips so far ladies...thanks!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    OMG I love this!
    Never knew what to do for that problem. Looks like I can eat hot pizza again as long as the sugar is nearby.
    Witch Hazel is my tip given to me years ago by an elderly lady. Use it on bug bites to stop the itch and heal faster and I use it as an astringent on my face. Works great. I even bought some for my 14 year old Grandson who is starting to have pimples and he loves it too.
    Great topic, can't wait to hear more.
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    Easy to fix
    Stains in clothes. Try carpet cleaner.
    Ear aches. Try equal parts of alcohol (dries) and vinegar (restores the ph)
    Tears. A great big long hug.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    sea60 said:

WOW! Thanks Marcia
    I was just looking at my Crape Myrtle wondering what the heck that was...I'm going to mix some of that stuff and spray mine.

Now I don't have to cry buckets cutting those darn onions.

Great tips so far ladies...thanks!

I forgot to add you spray
    I forgot to add you spray them once a week. Google powdery mildew and there are lots of sites that talk about it. That's how I found this info. The crape myrtles look great this year.
  • sea60
    Menda said:

Easy to fix
    Stains in clothes. Try carpet cleaner.
    Ear aches. Try equal parts of alcohol (dries) and vinegar (restores the ph)
    Tears. A great big long hug.

Awwww
    I love the big hug for tears...so sweet!

Probably the best tip...
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Original SSS
    The only thing that WILL keep 'skeeters off me is the Original Avon Skin So Soft.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Rague said:

Original SSS
    The only thing that WILL keep 'skeeters off me is the Original Avon Skin So Soft.

Peroxide to remove blood
    I had dried blood on a white background bedspread from when my dog was sick. Didn't notice it till it was dry. Did nothing else but put peroxide on it and kept putting it on; blood disappeared completely. Now when hubby has shaving nicks and blood gets on shirt collar, peroxide words perfectly.

Cindy
  • lovs2decorate
    lovs2decorate Member Posts: 44
    Sunburn, hives and bee stings
    I used to get hives when I was little and a baking soda bath was the best to calm down my skin. You can also make a paste out of it with water and put it on sunburn. My Mom used to use which hazel compresses on sunburn as well.

My Dad tought me when you get a bee sting to make a paste of mud and put it on the site to take the swelling down.

Justine
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Snowkitty said:

Peroxide to remove blood
    I had dried blood on a white background bedspread from when my dog was sick. Didn't notice it till it was dry. Did nothing else but put peroxide on it and kept putting it on; blood disappeared completely. Now when hubby has shaving nicks and blood gets on shirt collar, peroxide words perfectly.

Cindy

Hiccups
    I was always told that if you drink a glass of water upside down, which is almost impossible, it will clear up hiccups.

Or, put a teaspoon of sugar in your mouth.

Neither worked for me. I just use the old hold your breath and it works better.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Garlic and onion odors can
    Garlic and onion odors can be easily removed from your hands by using a big stainless steel serving spoon ( safer than a knife!) and rubbing it on your hands while holding them under running water. The chemical reaction between the onions/garlic and the stainless neutralizes the smell. A flippin miracle!:)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    chenheart said:

Garlic and onion odors can be easily removed from your hands by using a big stainless steel serving spoon ( safer than a knife!) and rubbing it on your hands while holding them under running water. The chemical reaction between the onions/garlic and the stainless neutralizes the smell. A flippin miracle!:)

someone told me if you get
    someone told me if you get the juice of peppers on your hands and its burning them, to dip them in milk. never tried it cuz I dont like peppers. and being a nurse I have used the peroxide and it works for sure although I learned of it when I had a car accident and blood was all over my student nurses uniform.
    Anybody know what you use so fish doesnt smell while you are cooking it, chemo brain here was tod but then immediatly forgot.
  • sea60
    I recall hearing about the fish oder but can't remember either!
    My little indoor dog, Abby was sprayed by a skunk a few months back and when we brought her in wrapped in a towel, I cannot begin to tell you how horrible she smelled!

We threw her in the tub and bathed her with just about anything I thought would help... tomato sauce (I didn't have juice), tooth paste/water mix, baking soda paste...all to no avail. Finally, I rubbed coffee grounds on her fur. I also put out bowls of coffee around the house. It worked!

The smell of coffee permeated the entire house within the hour, not to mentioned Abby smelled like a pot of freshly brewed coffee!

I love hearing everyone's great tips. It's so helpful to know the things that make life a little easier!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    chenheart said:

You can also make a paste of
    You can also make a paste of baking soda and water to take stains out of your counter top. We have a white counter top and sometimes get a stain on it, and, I just make that paste and leave it on for awhile, and, it comes right out.

Leeza
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    Snowkitty said:

Peroxide to remove blood

Cindy

PEROXIDE
    WHEN A NURST DISCONNECTED THE IV FROM MY PORT, BLOOD SPURTED OUT, I HAD A NAVY BLUE AND WHITE TOP ON AND THE BLOOD WAS ONLY ON THE WHITE PART, THE NURSE SAID TO PUT PEROXIDE ON IT WHEN I GOT HOME, BUT, I REALLY THOUGHT THE TOP WOULD BE RUINED, BUT IT DOES WORK AND I STILL WEAR THE SAME TOP TO EVERY TREATMENT...
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    sea60 said:

I recall hearing about the fish oder but can't remember either!
    My little indoor dog, Abby was sprayed by a skunk a few months back and when we brought her in wrapped in a towel, I cannot begin to tell you how horrible she smelled!

We threw her in the tub and bathed her with just about anything I thought would help... tomato sauce (I didn't have juice), tooth paste/water mix, baking soda paste...all to no avail. Finally, I rubbed coffee grounds on her fur. I also put out bowls of coffee around the house. It worked!

The smell of coffee permeated the entire house within the hour, not to mentioned Abby smelled like a pot of freshly brewed coffee!

I love hearing everyone's great tips. It's so helpful to know the things that make life a little easier!

Be careful
    Be careful with skunks. They squirt an oil that is why it is so hard to remove the smell. As you wash the oil will coat the drain pipes. Difficult to remove. Also, when little girls play in red lipstick don't set them in the tub. It is probably porus. That was a fun one.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Menda said:

Be careful
    Be careful with skunks. They squirt an oil that is why it is so hard to remove the smell. As you wash the oil will coat the drain pipes. Difficult to remove. Also, when little girls play in red lipstick don't set them in the tub. It is probably porus. That was a fun one.

Sunburn .. Boiling a pot of water and add regular not
    decaf tea bags. After cooling, place wash clothes into pan, rinse and place tea soaked cloth on sunburned area.. Tea will pull out the heat from our bodies. I've practice this on myself and children. It does work.

I would be careful not to service the remaining tea to dinner guest, unless it's someone you may get along with -)) joking ..

Vicki
  • sea60
    VickiSam said:

Sunburn .. Boiling a pot of water and add regular not
    decaf tea bags. After cooling, place wash clothes into pan, rinse and place tea soaked cloth on sunburned area.. Tea will pull out the heat from our bodies. I've practice this on myself and children. It does work.

I would be careful not to service the remaining tea to dinner guest, unless it's someone you may get along with -)) joking ..

Vicki

You're right Menda
    That skunk sprayed my little abby mainly in the face and she was squinting so much, she couldn't see. And I did remember thinking how oily she felt...ugh...I hope that never happens again!

Thanks for all those sunburn tips, I'm going to the coast at the end of July and despite all of us slathering on the sun block, I'm sure we'll miss a few spots!

Vicki...that was funny about reusing the tea bags...I'll make sure to discard them :D

Syl