Urethral irritation/penis pain 3 weeks out of robotic surgery..please advise

chitown
chitown Member Posts: 90 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Was recovering well till a few days ago...the post catheter pain/bleeding had gone away.
2-3 days ago felt like a cut in the urethra on top half of penis. There is intermittent bleeding, burning sensation after urination, constant ache in top of penis and stabbing pain during the day. The doc said to wait it out to see if gets better...but am concerned.

Wondering if someone had this problem themselves or have any suggestions.

Comments

• whubbs
    whubbs Member Posts: 77
    Get a new doc
    That sounds horrible, please consider another doctors opinion.
  • griff 1
    griff 1 Member Posts: 114
    chitown
    man i am sorry to here that. i had my cath out today so i don,t know about that. please get another dr,s opionon and let us know. good luck man. griff
    142 Member Posts: 169
    Check for a UTI
    It sounds like a possible urinary tract infection - had several of those in the couple of months after surgery. Extremely painful during urination.

I aksed for cultures - the treatment can be very different depending on the infection type.

I'm convinced the cause was the "free-flow" mode I was in at that point - don't be "economical" and "fill" pads - if it is wet, change it.
  • chitown
    chitown Member Posts: 90 Member
    142 said:

Check for a UTI
    It sounds like a possible urinary tract infection - had several of those in the couple of months after surgery. Extremely painful during urination.

I aksed for cultures - the treatment can be very different depending on the infection type.

I'm convinced the cause was the "free-flow" mode I was in at that point - don't be "economical" and "fill" pads - if it is wet, change it.

Update
    The good news is the pain and irritation is improving on a daily basis, though slowly.
    Still not irritation/pain free but better than a few days ago. No cloudy urine or fever, and good urine stream,...so am assuming it is not an infection.

Though this problem is delaying my MUSE/injection usage and will have to wait another week!!
    Regarding continence/pad use by 142..i am using 1-2 pad a day and hoping it gets better over time. But good advise on pad change, my wife is giving same advise. Seems lot of women have similar problem off and on like we do. So am learning tricks of trade for continence which women seem to have known for a while!
    142 Member Posts: 169
    chitown said:

Update
    The good news is the pain and irritation is improving on a daily basis, though slowly.
    Still not irritation/pain free but better than a few days ago. No cloudy urine or fever, and good urine stream,...so am assuming it is not an infection.

Though this problem is delaying my MUSE/injection usage and will have to wait another week!!
    Regarding continence/pad use by 142..i am using 1-2 pad a day and hoping it gets better over time. But good advise on pad change, my wife is giving same advise. Seems lot of women have similar problem off and on like we do. So am learning tricks of trade for continence which women seem to have known for a while!

Infection
    I made it a rule to get checked for a UTI with any new urinary pains. A couple of mine had no visible symptom except pain. No fever, no cloudy urine (I did have a lot of debris from the urethra sutures for months).

Doc suggested 100% cranberry juice - seemed to have helped.

Glad it is improving for you.