Immunohistochemistry Evaluation of ER/PR Levels

zivagirl
zivagirl Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just rec'd an addendum to my pathology report which I'm assuming can't be good news. It reads:

ER Interpretation - Negative Negative Low <1% Positive High >=1%
PR Interpretation - Negative Negative Low <1% Positive High >=1%

Have not yet spoken with my breast surgeon. However the pathologist said it would be best if the results were positive and I would not be a candidate for Tamoxifen. Seems like we get over one hurdle to be faced with another......

Can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    I cant give you any info on
    I cant give you any info on your er/pr. I was 100% positive for both. There are many hurdles while you fight this beast. I just want to wish you luck and hopefully someone will be able to help. I am on tamoxifen now and it was a hard decision because of the side effects, but it is supposed to help with reoccurence of bc. And with my high hormone levels, its really important to be on hormone therapy. Keep your head up and i would take your results into your next appointment and ask them what it means.

take care
    laura
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    ER/PR Interpretation
    ER= Estrogen Receptor while PR= Progesterone Receptor. There is a 3rd receptor that was probably tested for also. The blood is being tested to see if the patient is a so-called "Triple Negative." You can read a lot about triple negative breast cancer on the website of the TNBC Foundation - just Google it. If a person is triple negative then hormonal treatments (such as Tamoxifen)will not be part of the treatment plan. Chemotherapy treats this breast cancer variation very well. How do I know all this? It is me. What an education.