Last minute advice for me

aysemari
aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

my mastectomy is coming up. July 12th to be exact. I was planning on driving myself
there and back.

I will schedule for a cleaning service to come to my house, so that will be off my plate.
And I will cook and put things away on sunday.

Over the weekend I will shop for shirts that button on the front.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Ayse

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Ayse
    Please ask somebody to drive you to the hospital and definitely TO DRIVE YOU BACK or TAKE A TAXI!!!! Please do not drive yourself after mastectomy.Keep us posted on your conditions.You will be on pain medications and should not drive yourself
    It will be helpful if you do your bills in advance to avoid penalty and late fees.

Good luck,
    New Flower
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Help
    Holy Smokes Girl, don't you have someone to help you get to and from the hospital, a friend or neighbor? Talk to your oncologist/surgeon or local American Cancer Society for help for the first week or two. Where do you live? One of us should be able to lend a hand. You are trying to do too much alone. Let us know, please.

Kathryn
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    There is no way you'll be
    There is no way you'll be able to ~nor should you~ drive that soon after your MX!!!!

I tried driving after 2 weeks and i displaced one of my tissue expanders in doing so. It turned in the pocket and it was PAINFUL!!!

Please try and get a lift home after,and get some help around the house for the following few weeks.
    Move everything to waist level that you may need in the house (kettle, crockery, etc etc) as reaching up for things is difficult.
    Don't over-do it or you will set your recovery time back even longer,and risk damaging the incisions.

Are you having tissue expanders?
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    driving
    Do not plan to drive yourself home! Many local ACS have volunteers that will drive you or take a taxi if necessary. Do you have help with laundry etc when you get home? You sound like you have planned ahead with food stocking...........be sure to have bottled water handy, yogurt, prune juice, fruit juices, etc. Does your pharmacy deliver? Doc may give you scrip for pain pills when discharged from hospital. Do you have a home health nurse service to assist you....most insurance will pay for visits as needed. Good luck and know we are all thinkig of you and wishing you well!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    They Won't Let You Drive Home
    Ayse, I'm almost sure the hospital won't release you unless you have someone to drive you home. You will still have the pain medicine in your system. Please check with your local American Cancer Society. They will be more than glad to help you find the assistance that you need, like transportation. There are many organizations where I live that will do whatever you need done. Take care.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Jean 0609 said:

They Won't Let You Drive Home
    Ayse, I'm almost sure the hospital won't release you unless you have someone to drive you home. You will still have the pain medicine in your system. Please check with your local American Cancer Society. They will be more than glad to help you find the assistance that you need, like transportation. There are many organizations where I live that will do whatever you need done. Take care.

I'll be thinking of you
    You don't have to ask a friend or neighbor..get a cab or talk to a social worker about volunteer help to get you home. The better you take care of yourself the first few weeks will shorten your recovery time. We'll be there with you in our thoughts.
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    I understand your need to do this on your own.
    I really wanted to handle everything myself but hospitals have rules that don't usually allow them to release patients without someone to drive them home. I personally didn't need any pain meds because the only pain I felt was the IV which was in a bad place and the drain which was stitched into place so I probably could have driven myself home but sometimes you just have to "play it safe". You aren't going through all that just to turn around and risk yours and possibly someone else's life trying to drive yourself home so please get someone to drive you. Whether on pain meds or not, you may have a flood of emotions due to the reality of losing your breast. It sounds like you are doing your best to be prepared but this is one of those life-altering situations when it's okay to ask for help. I don't know where you are but if you are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I would be glad to help. Other than that, I would also suggest when you shop for the button shirts that you get some lightweight cotton cami's.

Sending you lots of hugs!!!
    Jamie
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    jamiegww said:

I understand your need to do this on your own.
    I really wanted to handle everything myself but hospitals have rules that don't usually allow them to release patients without someone to drive them home. I personally didn't need any pain meds because the only pain I felt was the IV which was in a bad place and the drain which was stitched into place so I probably could have driven myself home but sometimes you just have to "play it safe". You aren't going through all that just to turn around and risk yours and possibly someone else's life trying to drive yourself home so please get someone to drive you. Whether on pain meds or not, you may have a flood of emotions due to the reality of losing your breast. It sounds like you are doing your best to be prepared but this is one of those life-altering situations when it's okay to ask for help. I don't know where you are but if you are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I would be glad to help. Other than that, I would also suggest when you shop for the button shirts that you get some lightweight cotton cami's.

Sending you lots of hugs!!!
    Jamie

Careful what you post
    Ayse posted on one thread that she was in Tempe Az.

Ayse: Please ask for help. You probably want to be self-sufficient. But look at the opposite way. If you found out a friend of yours was driving to the hospital for surgery and was planning on driving home after, wouldn't you offer to drive if you could? People want to help, let them.

(((Hugs))))

Bob
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Hubby said:

Careful what you post
    Ayse posted on one thread that she was in Tempe Az.

Ayse: Please ask for help. You probably want to be self-sufficient. But look at the opposite way. If you found out a friend of yours was driving to the hospital for surgery and was planning on driving home after, wouldn't you offer to drive if you could? People want to help, let them.

(((Hugs))))

Bob

Careful about what?
    Sorry if I offended anyone.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    jamiegww said:

Careful about what?

Ice packs
    Be sure and use ice packs to help reduce the swelling. Oh! and a wedge pillow really helps on getting in and out of bed.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    jamiegww said:

Careful about what?

You didn't offend!
    Double Post!
  • chenheart
    jamiegww said:

Careful about what?

You didn't offend , Jamie!!!!!
    I don't think the "Careful" admonition was about anything you wrote! I think it referred to Ayse casually mentioning her list of things she had taken care of, including driving herself to the hospital and home! As you noticed, everyone responded to that part of her post by saying Don't Drive! I could be wrong, but I think it was one of those "be careful what you wish for" comments!

Hugs,
    Chen
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    jamiegww said:

Careful about what?

No; Nothing you wrote
    I was just talking about how Ayse let us know where she lives and she seems like a very private person.

So I could just go back to her old post and remind everyone and hopefully someone would be close enough to offer a ride.

Nothing you wrote Jamie.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Sorry! No Driving
    I wasn't allowed to drive until the surgeon took the drains out and pronounced me fit. That took about two weeks after the operation. I hated it. I tried a few things that weren't recommended, like cleaning up the garden and pulling a weed or two. The first weed came out easily and the second didn't. I quit tugging when it hurt. The surgeon said he really got mad if I messed up his stiches by doing too much too soon. Turning a steering wheel is also on the no-no list for the same reasons. So make arrangements with a neighbor, some local church member, a cancer center volunteer, a work buddy, or a cabbie. You need to let your body heal after major surgery. Even if it is a day operation, it is still considered major. So rest and heal!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Ayse
    Ayse most likely the hospital will not allow you to drive home. I saw my surgeon 1 week post op when he removed my drains and one of the questions I asked was about driving. He gave me the go ahead then but I still only drive a little bit and I'm 2 weeks post op. Take care and good luck. Please find someone to drive you.
    Char
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Survivor Tips
    Hi Ayse,

I've got some great hospital tips and things on my website that I think might help you. You can find it under the Member Resource Library on this site. Just look for my picture. :)

Off the top of my head, a lanyard for your drains was key for me and facial wipes to wash my face helped since raising your arms is impossible for a while.

Good luck!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member

Help
    Holy Smokes Girl, don't you have someone to help you get to and from the hospital, a friend or neighbor? Talk to your oncologist/surgeon or local American Cancer Society for help for the first week or two. Where do you live? One of us should be able to lend a hand. You are trying to do too much alone. Let us know, please.

Kathryn

Cab it is
    I must have misinterpreted some of the posts here. They had mentioned a little
    pillow for the seat belt, so I thought they drove. Well now I know to take a cab.

I guess I am not as fortunate as some people, my family is overseas and I don't
    have very close friend ships here. A friend of mine was going fly to in from the
    east coast to assist me but she just got hired and it would interfere with her new
    job. I sure don't want to get in the way of that in this economy.

It makes me feel horrible to ask strangers for help and I try not to.

I know I would do it for anyone but I learned the hard way that people are not
    like me. Last time I asked someone when I was on chemo, I was told she'll
    swing by on thursday when she doesn't have school and this was on a sunday.

So I do what I can but thanks for your input. I will look into maybe some
    home care proram.

Ayse
  • chenheart
    aysemari said:

Cab it is
    pillow for the seat belt, so I thought they drove. Well now I know to take a cab.

have very close friend ships here. A friend of mine was going fly to in from the
    east coast to assist me but she just got hired and it would interfere with her new

home care proram.

Ayse

When I did rads, I used the
    When I did rads, I used the ACS Road To Recovery program~ they have volunteer drivers; I recommend you check into that. My insurance also covered a home health care RN; she came by 2X I believe just to make sure I was ok and that I was able to take care of my drains etc.

This is the biggest "excuse" ( and I mean that kindly!) we women make: Generally we are the caregivers, or nurturers, or at the very least, the independant ones who never ask for help~ we are the ones who give it! Well, sweet sister, the proverbial shoe is now on the other foot! All previous thoughts and courses of action are hereby thrown out of your window! Talk to the RNs, talk to the Ombudsmen at the hospital, read the Info boards at the hospital, check with the ACs...you need and DESERVE assistance! And, it gives others a chance to fulfill their need to nurture! After this is all over with, and it will be, you can always Pay It Forward by volunteering yourself now and agian. That way the universe is in balance, and you don't have to think twice about asking for help now!

Hugs, Freundin!
    Claudia
  • chenheart
    aysemari said:

Cab it is

home care proram.

Ayse

rotten double post
    sigh.....double posts make me twice as long winded
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302

Survivor Tips
    Hi Ayse,

I've got some great hospital tips and things on my website that I think might help you. You can find it under the Member Resource Library on this site. Just look for my picture. :)

Off the top of my head, a lanyard for your drains was key for me and facial wipes to wash my face helped since raising your arms is impossible for a while.

Good luck!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

Hi!
    Hi Ayse! I'm wishing you all kinds of of good luck for your surgery. I'll be really really surprised if your surgeon lets you drive home. I wasn't allowed to drive until after the drains came out. Heavens, they won't even let you get dicharged without taking you in a wheelchair to get your ride! Which I thought was funny due to all the concern over blood clots - wouldn't you think walking would be better?! Anyway, I had no need of pain meds other than a couple of Tylenol after my masectomy (but I didn't go the expander route). Just make sure you follow you doctor's instructions and you'll be fine. We are all here for you. Hugs, Sally