Femara fears

GayleMc
GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm embarassed to admit this, but I'm very scared to start my Femara. I know what the side effects can be and I know this must be done, but... any advice would be welcome. Has anyone had problems working their job? Does it help to take it at night versus day? I did ask these questions of the onc's PA but she had only good things to say about it. I'm the type of person who deals better if I know the pros AND the cons. I know this sounds so silly. I completed chemo and rads and survived but I can't shake this scaredy cat mentality.

Comments

• Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Femara
    Can't say I've had side effects. I,like Rague I've been on it for 5-6 months. Achey bones, but I am almost 50. lol It does go after ur bones, so calicum and vit. D a must. Walking, some vigrous excercise a must. I have a 45 degree hill I briskley walk up and down. Guss thats all the side effects so far. I will be n it 10 yrs cause of the cancer I have. IDC, HER2+,ER and PR+ and 18/20 lymph nodes +. I thinkthey may be other choses. Ask ur onc.You didn't mention what ur fears are about the femara.Katz
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    I have been on it since
    I have been on it since March and have had joint pain in my shoulders. Mentioned it to my onc last visit and she recommened Glucosamin, which I now take 3 times a day. It seems to be helping. I have had some hot flashes but they are not that bad. Other than that seem to be doing okay with it.

Hugs

Donna
  • wendybia
    wendybia Member Posts: 73
    femara
    i started in march...i take it at night, thought it made me a little dizzy...aches aren't too bad at all certainly manageable...don't be scared !!! :)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I never thought twice about taking my Femara
    I've had no problems with Femara in the 5 months I've been taking it. I don't have a "job" I go to - I'm a stay at home wife and 'horse mother' (our Sons are in their 30's) to our 4 horses, 2 dogs and Fundy Bunny. I take it in the morning. I'm IBC so the day I got the script from Chemo Dr. for Femara I was at my VA and got 10 days worth to start before they started sending me my 3 month supplies of them.

There are the possibilities of side effects - but TO ME - the the potential of not taking them (or at least trying them) is potentially worse.

(I;m IBC - I had A/C, surgery, Taxol, rads and now Femara.)
  • GayleMc
    wendybia said:

femara
    i started in march...i take it at night, thought it made me a little dizzy...aches aren't too bad at all certainly manageable...don't be scared !!! :)

Whew. Thank you all so much
    Whew. Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I was mostly afraid of starting to feel bad just as I am starting to feel quite well. It never crossed my mind to not take it, I was just experiencing fear of the unknow. Once again, Thanks so much.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    GayleMc said:

Whew. Thank you all so much
    Whew. Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I was mostly afraid of starting to feel bad just as I am starting to feel quite well. It never crossed my mind to not take it, I was just experiencing fear of the unknow. Once again, Thanks so much.

I'm not on femara (sp?), but I applaued you for
    posting your question and concerns:-)))

I am so very happy that we have such an array of experienced and educated women and men here on our site to provide comfort .. and a sounding board for us - all!

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Katz77 said:

Femara
    Can't say I've had side effects. I,like Rague I've been on it for 5-6 months. Achey bones, but I am almost 50. lol It does go after ur bones, so calicum and vit. D a must. Walking, some vigrous excercise a must. I have a 45 degree hill I briskley walk up and down. Guss thats all the side effects so far. I will be n it 10 yrs cause of the cancer I have. IDC, HER2+,ER and PR+ and 18/20 lymph nodes +. I thinkthey may be other choses. Ask ur onc.You didn't mention what ur fears are about the femara.Katz

I am not on Femara, but,
    I am not on Femara, but, want to wish you good luck with it! Keep us updated on how you are doing when you can.

Hugs, Debby
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    VickiSam said:

I'm not on femara (sp?), but I applaued you for
    posting your question and concerns:-)))

I am so very happy that we have such an array of experienced and educated women and men here on our site to provide comfort .. and a sounding board for us - all!

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

Femara
    I've been taking Femara since last September. Side effects have been slight. A little stiffness after sitting for a while, at first there was increased hot flashes but they settled down some...and if I didn't have the hot flashes I would be concerned that the drug was not doing its job for me. I also blame Femara for my forgetfulness even though I was like that before. LOL. Hugs to you. Gracie
  • GayleMc

Femara
    I've been taking Femara since last September. Side effects have been slight. A little stiffness after sitting for a while, at first there was increased hot flashes but they settled down some...and if I didn't have the hot flashes I would be concerned that the drug was not doing its job for me. I also blame Femara for my forgetfulness even though I was like that before. LOL. Hugs to you. Gracie

I've only been on the Femara
    I've only been on the Femara for 4 days, but so far so good. I really appreciate all the information you gals have sent. I know it's early on for me but I'm optimistic!!! Gracie, your attitude is great, I never thought to look at some of the side effects as a way to assure that the medicine is working.