July Surgeries - exchanging "Expanders" ??? I seem to recall ..... there are several of us schedule

VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I would like to get a listing so we can share - pre-op and post-op experiences. What can help us sleep at night, or exercise that will promote our ability to heal.

My Exchange is scheduled for 7/21/10

Vicki Sam

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    July 23
    Hi VickiSam,

My change is schedule for Friday 7/23/10.

I go in for pre-op testing next Monday. I got REALLY sick from the anesthesia, I'm hoping this time around I don't have to deal with that.

I know you had issues with infections ... may we all our surgeries go smoothly with no complications.
  • VickiSam

July 23
    Hi VickiSam,

My change is schedule for Friday 7/23/10.

I go in for pre-op testing next Monday. I got REALLY sick from the anesthesia, I'm hoping this time around I don't have to deal with that.

I know you had issues with infections ... may we all our surgeries go smoothly with no complications.

Thank you so much .. Dawne.Hope .. I go in for my
    pre-OP on 7/15/10. I seem to recall my plastic nurse stating that I would have to wear a 'support bra' .. clasp in front for 1 year .. Has anyone said anything to you regarding wearing a bra - 24 hours a day ?

Dawne -- Please confirm with Plastic .. issues with anesthesia // perhaps you can get a sit down, or telephone call with anesthologist a few days before surgery and express your concerns. I know how everyone seems to think that the general meeting - 5 minutes before being wheeled in surgery serves as a meeting.

Yes, thank you for remembering my never ending battle iwth infections. hehehehehe

God's hand on you my friend.

Vicki Sam
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Tomorrow - July 7!!!
    Thanks for doing this, Vicki Sam. I get my lovely, soft, gorgeous implants at 7:30 tomorrow morning. Woooo! Just in time -- my expanders have gotten soooo annoying this last week. I will certainly let you all know how it goes. Woooo!
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member

Tomorrow - July 7!!!
    Thanks for doing this, Vicki Sam. I get my lovely, soft, gorgeous implants at 7:30 tomorrow morning. Woooo! Just in time -- my expanders have gotten soooo annoying this last week. I will certainly let you all know how it goes. Woooo!

Good Luck Ladies
    To each and everyone of you, I'm wishing you all the best in this transition.

Love Ronda
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

Good Luck Ladies
    To each and everyone of you, I'm wishing you all the best in this transition.

Love Ronda

Hey there!
    Just found out today that im having my exchange on August 12th. I am soooo ready for it. Ive had expanders since july of last year and had to have one removed in Feb because of an infection. Now they have to borrow my dorsal muscle from my back to build more tissue on the left side when they do the reconstruction. When i got my infection, it formed a big hole in the middle of my breast and that is what caused the tissue loss. Plus i have so much scaring that they are using the extra skin they get from my back to cover for the scars. Let me know how it goes!!

Take care
    Laura
  • VickiSam
    lolad said:

Hey there!
    Just found out today that im having my exchange on August 12th. I am soooo ready for it. Ive had expanders since july of last year and had to have one removed in Feb because of an infection. Now they have to borrow my dorsal muscle from my back to build more tissue on the left side when they do the reconstruction. When i got my infection, it formed a big hole in the middle of my breast and that is what caused the tissue loss. Plus i have so much scaring that they are using the extra skin they get from my back to cover for the scars. Let me know how it goes!!

Take care
    Laura

Whoo YA .. Ladies .. I am soooooooooo READY
    My left breast is rounded and my right breast is shaped like a football. I didn't want to complain .. but I hate this look .. Can wait to look somewhat normal .. next step .. nipple or tattoo ..

What to do ??? pondering

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam said:

Whoo YA .. Ladies .. I am soooooooooo READY
    My left breast is rounded and my right breast is shaped like a football. I didn't want to complain .. but I hate this look .. Can wait to look somewhat normal .. next step .. nipple or tattoo ..

What to do ??? pondering

Vicki Sam

Christine Louise .. You're in our thoughts and prayers
    Please keep us posted ... I am going home right after surgery, no overnight stay or so I've been told.

Coming home same day ?

God's hand on you tomorrow :-)))

Vicki Sam
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    Thursday July 8
    Double masectomy scheduled for Thursday, reporting at 9:30. Just finished my last 12 hour day for a while. I am spending tommorrow at the spa. Then doing laundry and those chores I didn't do this weekend.
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Hi All,

Can't wait to hear how everyone's reconstructions turn out!!

Speaking from recent experience, my whole attitude has improved just since the silicone settled into the skin and I had the stitches taken out today from my nipple reconstruction.

Tatoos will be in September.

I wish all of you the same positive experiences!!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

p.s. I have my photos up of my reconstruction on my website if you're interested. It's listed under the Member Resource Library. Just look for my photo. :)
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    July 12th
    Double mastectomy for me - last mile stone, with chemo behind me!

Ayse
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    aysemari said:

July 12th
    Double mastectomy for me - last mile stone, with chemo behind me!

Ayse

Good luck to all who are
    Good luck to all who are having their exchange surgeries soon (and to those having Mx).

I dont have a date yet as i still have one more fill(this is taking sooooo long). I did ask about wearing a bra after exch. and i was told i'd need to wear just a supportive sport bra for a few weeks after. I will be extra careful though and also sleep on my back only,until the scar tissue has formed inside.Don't want anything to shift in there once it's done! lol
  • VickiSam
    m-star said:

Good luck to all who are
    Good luck to all who are having their exchange surgeries soon (and to those having Mx).

I dont have a date yet as i still have one more fill(this is taking sooooo long). I did ask about wearing a bra after exch. and i was told i'd need to wear just a supportive sport bra for a few weeks after. I will be extra careful though and also sleep on my back only,until the scar tissue has formed inside.Don't want anything to shift in there once it's done! lol

M-Star .. good advise .. Sleeping on my back has taken
    time to get used to. I usually wake up on right side - perhaps that is the reason my right breast looks like a football, not as rounded as my left.

I will have to work on falling asleep on my back - with pillow at each side.

Vicki Sam
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    VickiSam said:

M-Star .. good advise .. Sleeping on my back has taken
    time to get used to. I usually wake up on right side - perhaps that is the reason my right breast looks like a football, not as rounded as my left.

I will have to work on falling asleep on my back - with pillow at each side.

Vicki Sam

Good luck to all of you with
    Good luck to all of you with your surgeries!

Hugs, Leeza
  • VickiSam
    jnl said:

Good luck to all of you with
    Good luck to all of you with your surgeries!

Hugs, Leeza

Ladies .. I have taken M-Star's advise and I am now
    wearing my 'support' bra again. I almost feel perky .. my right football breast is still somewhat now on the same level playing ground as my left breast -- but the shape is different. Just knowing that my exchange is 2 weeks away, I can handle this and walk in pride.

I am curious .. where can I get some additional support bra's .. snaps in front .??? I've been looking on line ... fastened in the back ...

Any ideas?

Vicki SAm
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Im scheduled for my exchange
    Im scheduled for my exchange in one week July 14th...I cant wait. Vickisam mine are two different shapes as well...one round and one looks like a football. LOL!
    I already had my preop visit and they said id only have to wear the bra for 2-3 weeks. Heck i havent wore a bra since my mastectomy about 8 months ago...im not sure i would know what one felt like anymore.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    I was supposed to have my implants in July
    However, when I finally got to see my Oncologist, she decided for me to have 4 chemo treatments. So for now my exchange has been postponed until after chemo. I don't need anymore saline fills, so once the chemo is done, I'll be ready.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

I was supposed to have my implants in July
    However, when I finally got to see my Oncologist, she decided for me to have 4 chemo treatments. So for now my exchange has been postponed until after chemo. I don't need anymore saline fills, so once the chemo is done, I'll be ready.

I am wishing all of you
    I am wishing all of you wonderful ladies the best of luck with your upcoming surgeries!

I will be saying prayers for you and thinking of you!

Sue :)
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    Ritzy said:

I am wishing all of you
    I am wishing all of you wonderful ladies the best of luck with your upcoming surgeries!

Good luck
    Good luck to everyone with the exchange.... I have one more fill and then I need to wait two months.

I'll be anxious to hear how you are all doing... Anything must be better than these rocks.. (my expanders).

Congrats and take care.
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    Ritzy said:

I am wishing all of you

I can't wait-
    I can't wait I have 7 more rads then I'll be done next Friday. I'll meet with the plastic surgeon this Friday and I'll see what he says about how long I have to wait. Rads have been good to me so far with this expander-

rene9
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Sally5 said:

Good luck
    Good luck to everyone with the exchange.... I have one more fill and then I need to wait two months.

I'll be anxious to hear how you are all doing... Anything must be better than these rocks.. (my expanders).

Congrats and take care.

Yes, good luck to all of you
    Yes, good luck to all of you having your exchange!

Let us know how all of you do.