brows and lashes where are you

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
6 months after chemo and still very little brows and lashes. My hair still feels like fuzz. When will it all grow back normal?

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Be Patient.....
    Laurissa......I think it takes some longer than others for our "hair" to return....I was able to stop wearing my wig 6 months after chemo ended....my eyelashes took their time returning, never lost my eyebrows, they just thinned..It's been 11 months since my last chemo......I have a headful of RINGLETS! It's about 4 inches long.......I have NOT had it cut or trimmed....Now I am just waiting for it to return to it's previous state, which was NOT curly!

So, hang on, it will come.......
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MAJW said:

Be Patient.....
    Laurissa......I think it takes some longer than others for our "hair" to return....I was able to stop wearing my wig 6 months after chemo ended....my eyelashes took their time returning, never lost my eyebrows, they just thinned..It's been 11 months since my last chemo......I have a headful of RINGLETS! It's about 4 inches long.......I have NOT had it cut or trimmed....Now I am just waiting for it to return to it's previous state, which was NOT curly!

So, hang on, it will come.......

Thank you MAJW .. I am in the same stage as
    Laurissa .. as I describe my hair .. brillo pad - stuck to my scalp. Eye brows thinned, never came back, as well as my lashes.

11 months and you 4 inches of ringlets .. Then there is hope.

Thank you for sharing:-))

Vicki Sam
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    It's been six months for me
    It's been six months for me too and I still have no eyelashes. I didn't loose my eyebrows which seemed strange to me since everything else in the hair dept. was gone. My hair is slowly growing back and is now thick and curly. This is quite a change since it was thin and straight before chemo. It's also gray/black and I can't wait to dye it but am going to wait until it is a little longer. This has been quite an experience for us hasn't it?! I've stopped wearing my wigs and am going out "natural" now. What a scary, but great feeling!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MGNS said:

It's been six months for me
    It's been six months for me too and I still have no eyelashes. I didn't loose my eyebrows which seemed strange to me since everything else in the hair dept. was gone. My hair is slowly growing back and is now thick and curly. This is quite a change since it was thin and straight before chemo. It's also gray/black and I can't wait to dye it but am going to wait until it is a little longer. This has been quite an experience for us hasn't it?! I've stopped wearing my wigs and am going out "natural" now. What a scary, but great feeling!

my eyelashes and brows came
    my eyelashes and brows came back and now just cmae out 6 months later and are growing back???????????????????, hair is curly and dark. getting it colored wednesday with an organic dye. I can go without head coverings but am as chen refers to it , in the chia pet stage. i guess it does things in its own time. the thing is I lost so much weight nobody recognizes me. My sister passed me in the airport!!! That is really hard sometimes to reintroduce myself to people. and myself when I look in the mirror.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    carkris said:

my eyelashes and brows came
    my eyelashes and brows came back and now just cmae out 6 months later and are growing back???????????????????, hair is curly and dark. getting it colored wednesday with an organic dye. I can go without head coverings but am as chen refers to it , in the chia pet stage. i guess it does things in its own time. the thing is I lost so much weight nobody recognizes me. My sister passed me in the airport!!! That is really hard sometimes to reintroduce myself to people. and myself when I look in the mirror.

I did not have problems with hair
    however I shaved two times after I finished Chemo. As fore eye lashes I am still waiting for my original ones( 18 months). I have never lost my eye lashes completely but after Chemo they are really short and funny. I gave up and moved on. Yes, people do not recognize me and I am OK with it. I keep telling everyone that I change my style:very short hair, no makeup, no snaggy shorts and tanks, no manicure list goes on!
    Just being healthy and feel energetic again are my goals
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

I did not have problems with hair
    however I shaved two times after I finished Chemo. As fore eye lashes I am still waiting for my original ones( 18 months). I have never lost my eye lashes completely but after Chemo they are really short and funny. I gave up and moved on. Yes, people do not recognize me and I am OK with it. I keep telling everyone that I change my style:very short hair, no makeup, no snaggy shorts and tanks, no manicure list goes on!
    Just being healthy and feel energetic again are my goals

Did anyone use false
    Did anyone use false eyelashes and/or eyebrows?

Suzanne
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Hi Laurissa
    Oct. was my last Chemo.Radiation was done by Jan.I have had my hair trimmed 3 times now.And ready to have it trimmed again.I have a style that is short but I like it.And yes it still looks like peach fuzz of the morning.I wet it and put gel in it.And then blow it dry.It changes the texture that way.I get alot of compliments on it.My eye brows got real thin,now they grow like crazy.My eye lashes came out twice.But they are back now.I kind of got used to not having my brows done.Now about every two weeks I need them done.Like you I wonder how long it will take to get our hair texture back.Right now I am just thankful to have hair.Take care.We have come a long ways compared to last year at this time.
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Now I'm feeling lucky.
    I had no idea people had to wait so long for hair to grow back. I had my last chemo on May 13th and my brows are filling in pretty good as well as my lashes. My hair is only about 1/4 inch so far but I pull gently on it several times a day hoping to encourage more growth. I started taking a Biotin supplement after I finished chemo hoping it would help my hair and nails recover. I'm not much of a pill taker but sometimes I get desperate. I don't know if it has helped or I am just lucky but maybe you can check into taking Biotin also?
  • sunny_girl
    sunny_girl Member Posts: 33
    Latisse may help
    Latisse - the drug cosmetically used for fuller eye lashes - will regrow and darken lashes and brows for many women. They are going to do clinical trials at UCLA for breast cancer chemo patients - but haven't started yet. It is expensive, but maybe worth it.
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00999557