What's in your name?

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    aysemari said:

Merhaba Mimi
    Actually I was born in germany, I am transplanted transplant =)

I am in Tempe,AZ where are you ?

Ayse

Merhaba Ayse
    I grew up in Michigan, but have lived in the Washington DC area for the past 9 years. I love it here. Do you know German as well? I took it in high school, but couldn't say I remember much.

Mimi
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    What's In My Name?
    When I was diagnoised with Breast Cancer in July/August 2007, I was ashamed to tell anyone what I had. When they asked me what kind of cancer I had, I told them it was in my chest. It took me several months to get over being embarressed to tell people that I had Breast Cancer. For you see, I was a 55 year old man back then.I did not know that men could get B.C. or even heard of men with it. So I figered it was my sworn duty to tell everyone that men can and do get Breast Cancer and that I was living proof of it. Hence the name," ManWithaMission". That was at least untill February 2009 when I found out that there was already a site for Male Breast Cancer,established in 1986 by a Daughter for her late father who died from B.C. back then. So, I guess my mission is over,too. Unfortunately you can not change your user name without quitting this site and starting over.

Robert
  • GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188

What's In My Name?
    When I was diagnoised with Breast Cancer in July/August 2007, I was ashamed to tell anyone what I had. When they asked me what kind of cancer I had, I told them it was in my chest. It took me several months to get over being embarressed to tell people that I had Breast Cancer. For you see, I was a 55 year old man back then.I did not know that men could get B.C. or even heard of men with it. So I figered it was my sworn duty to tell everyone that men can and do get Breast Cancer and that I was living proof of it. Hence the name," ManWithaMission". That was at least untill February 2009 when I found out that there was already a site for Male Breast Cancer,established in 1986 by a Daughter for her late father who died from B.C. back then. So, I guess my mission is over,too. Unfortunately you can not change your user name without quitting this site and starting over.

Robert

Robert
    DO NOT give up the mission!!!!!! For every 10 women diagnosed with BC 1 man is diagnosed. There is also a higher percentage of men that die of BC than women. Why? Because, as you stated "I did not know that men could get B.C. or even heard of men with it.". More men with BC need to spread the information......if one life is saved, its makes all of the hard work worth it. I have read so many stories of men that found lumps only to have their Drs tell them its nothing to worry about....one, 2, 3 years later....BC with cancer in other areas of the body.

How many men did not go get their prostates checked annually because they didnt want the exam? After Bobby Riggs came public with his diagnoses and what he had to go thru after surgery, prostate cancer and prevention came to the forefront.

Your a manwithamission, run with it!!!

Greg
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729

What's In My Name?

Robert

Hi Robert
    I agree with Greg that you can still be ManWithaMission here. Just because there is another website shouldn't prevent you from talking about your experiences here. We are mostly woman here with males that are in the family and we could talk to them about it because of your posts here. I did with my guys. We've also had a couple husbands posting lately and I imagine that people are reading that aren't members. So you could do good here too. Most of us here won't be going to that website.
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224

What's In My Name?

Robert

Robert,
    My uncle was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago - he was probably about 80 years old at that time - he is doing well - had chemo & radiation. But, even with the information that is out there already, I do think that a lot of people are not aware that guys can also get breast cancer - so I think your "name" still fits! My uncle has been a source of support for me since I've been diagnosed with bc - he calls to check up on me and see how things are going with my treatments - and shares his experiences with me.

Hope all goes well for you!!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Hi Robert
    I agree with Greg that you can still be ManWithaMission here. Just because there is another website shouldn't prevent you from talking about your experiences here. We are mostly woman here with males that are in the family and we could talk to them about it because of your posts here. I did with my guys. We've also had a couple husbands posting lately and I imagine that people are reading that aren't members. So you could do good here too. Most of us here won't be going to that website.

Keep up your mission, Robert!
    I think as a society we might have progressed a bit beyond "men don't get breast cancer," but probably only as far as" "Men get breast cancer, but it's so rare that no man I know has it, so it can't happen to me."

One of the reasons I've been very out and loud about having breast cancer all through my diagnosis and treatment is that I'm on the young side (I was 40 when diagnosed), so certainly heard "you can't have breast cancer -- you're too young!" So for me, I feel like it's my responsibility to be the person they *do* know who was diagnosed with breast cancer at 40, so they don't dismiss it as something that can't happen to them, their daughter, or their wife.

In the same way, I think your mission may be to be the man they *do* know who had breast cancer, so they don't dismiss it as something that can't happen to them, their son, or their husband. As Greg said, there are too many sad stories about men who waited too long, out of embarrassment or ignorance.

Traci
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522

What's In My Name?

Robert

Robert,
    I agree! It's so very important that everyone - and I mean everyone - knows that they are not exempt from the nightmare.

Keep up the mission!

Sue
  • MNLynn
    sbmly53 said:

I've often wondered about this, too!
    I'm Susan, middle initial B. Mly - last name without vowels and 53, well, that's the year I was born which makes me - eek! - 57 in December.

Thanks for asking!

Sue

eek!!!
    me, too - I'll be 57 on Dec 8th . . .
  • MNLynn

m_azingrace
    Say it "amazing grace", for the beautiful hymn that tells of our Savior's sacrifice, and the wonderful peace and joy of knowing Him, and the promise of seeing Him in glory when my trials end here. God's Blessings to you all. Gracie.

truly - amazing!
    I love your name and that hymn. My favorite hymn is "Great is Thy Faithfulness" - and I know God is faithful - even in all of this - or, maybe I should say - ESPECIALLY in all of this!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

My name's Emily, and my
    My name's Emily, and my uncle used to call me Emily Fimily when I was little. When I'm joking around with family on e-mail, sometimes I'll sign it Emilyfimily. So, there ya go :D

Just angie..how boring huh
    Just angie..how boring huh LOL
  • MNLynn
    My name & pic
    My name is just that (my middle name, actually) - and I live in MN. My pic is from something I told my husband after my mastectomy - rt breast. I'm starting to get less self conscious about wearing a prosthesis, but I was quite worried at first that my breasts wouldn't look even, so I told my husband that, if things looked "out of line" when we're out with others, he should just mention "Picasso" and I would know that I needed to head to the bathroom and get things straightened out!

ok - changed my pic - not "picasso" anymore . . . 7/9
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    sbmly53 said:

Robert,
    I agree! It's so very important that everyone - and I mean everyone - knows that they are not exempt from the nightmare.

Keep up the mission!

Sue

and pure humor
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Mine is not too interesting

Mine is not too interesting ...Mariam my Sufi Islamic name - the Christian equivalent is Mary and 11 is the month I was diagnosed and 09 the year.
  • and pure humor

Whilst still in shock...
    upon hearing of my diagnosis, I sent an email to a handful of friends that had each had cancer touch their lives. I knew they would want to know and that they would be furious if I told them months later with an "Oh, by the way".

I titled the email..."Faith, trust, and a little bit of chemotherapy" to paraphrase Peter Pan.

I have kept them updated with hopefully humorous emails since. Each time listing 3 things cancer has taught me and one annoying aspect...but hey, I'm all about finding the humor in this.

An oncologist, a surgeon, and a monkey all walk into a bar....
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member

Mine is not too interesting ...Mariam my Sufi Islamic name - the Christian equivalent is Mary and 11 is the month I was diagnosed and 09 the year.

Sunshine
    My husband calls me that. He says I can always find the good in any situation. I'm a positive person. I decided a long time ago life is to short to be sad and angry. Rain falls on the just and unjust. I'm going to spend my life enjoying every minute of it until I cross over into eternity, and even then I will go in smilin.
    Jennifer
  • filimu
    filimu Member Posts: 74

mine is
    Greek for "my friend". (fili is female, felos is male) I'm not Greek at all, nor do I speak it, only remember a few words, but I lived in Nea Makri (about 25 miles outside Athens) for 2-1/2 years back in the mid '70's when my first husband was in the Navy and stationed there. What a great place. Oh, the stories from those years! And LOVE that goat's milk Ice Cream! Nothing in the states can touch it! It was great to travel all over that area of the Med, and it was the beginning of my love of travel, which I was able to indulge later in life through another job.

Since then, among all my pets, I've named two cats Fili over the years...I had a Filimu, and then a Fili2...just seemed to fit them. And I named one of my dobermans Turk. That fit him perfectly as well.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Moopy and Aortus
    Moopy is a derivative of the nickname "Moovis," which my beloved Lisa (a name I call her only when I'm mad at her - that is, almost never) gave herself one evening while we were playing Putt-Putt golf. We played a lot of Putt-Putt golf when we were dating, and liked to make up silly names for ourselves. This one stuck! I really do think it suits her perfectly, but then I'm extremely biased. The "23" is in honor of her favorite tall bald guy on this earth... Michael Jordan.

As for me, I always liked the sound of the word "aorta." All those vowels, and stuff. Since I have all my life made up silly names for myself as a consequence of being named Joe, I'm always trying them out on Moopy. For years, I used to go with "Bullvester" until I asked her to call me "Aorta." She pointed out that "Aorta" sounded girly, which is fine if you're a girl, which I am not. So I made a counteroffer of "Aortus." She wasn't too thrilled about that, either. But she had to admit it was better than "Aorta."

And so you have the story of our goofy names!
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Snowkitty was a stray cat my
    Snowkitty was a stray cat my son brought home on his bike one day. She was malnourished, pregnant and was covered with fleas. I didn't really welcome her since I already had a cat and two dogs. Every time we left the house we would come home to find Showkitty on our deck. OK then, we let her in, all animals got fleas. When Snow had her kittens in my son's bedroom closet, I dabbed each of the kitties fleas with a que tip of flea soap. Then had to get the whole house sprayed. Thanks kid.

Anyways, she turned out to be the absolute best cat in the world. And stayed with us 19 years before she had to be put to sleep. She was white with a blue eye & gold eye.

Cindy
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Mine is dumb
    padee is for Patricia Ann Dee, and the 6339 is the end of a telephone exchange our family had since way back in the 1920's before they took away the "FL" at the beginning and inserted numbers. The FL was for the Flushing (NY exchanges). I get a lot of "is that number what I think it is?" from a lot of family and old time friends.
  • upnorthlive57
    upnorthlive57 Member Posts: 41
    michigan
    my real name is Linda, and I live in northern Michigan, my age is 57. When I was diagnosed I was so sure I was not going to make it, just the word cancer scares a person so bad..but here I am, done with treatments back to work and looking at life differently patience is my new way of life and lots of talking to my family with hugs and kisses