Nutritional Choices - help!

hopeful in tally
hopeful in tally Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am confused. Depending upon what website you look at or who you talk to, there does not seem to be any consistent, accurate information about proper food choices once we have been diagnosed and treated for breast cancer. Can anyone lend some accurate information? Milk/Dairy ... good or bad? Gluten free ... necessary? No doubt proper nutrition in general is very important but I would like to get some accurate information as it applies to breast cancer. Can anyone help???
Thank you all for always be an amazing source of information and support!
Gail

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Anticancer book
    Hi, Gail -

My oncologist (who has never recommended any other book to me) recommended Anticancer: A New Way of Life, by David Servan Schreiber, MD, PhD.

I know that many other women here have also read it -- it focuses very much on good nutritional choices for people who have been diagnosed with cancer, and he makes some specific recommendations for women with breast cancer, as well. The author is a research psychiatrist and two-time brain cancer survivor. He also has a website: www.anticancerbook.com.

I would suggest this as a good place to start!

Traci
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    nutrition & breast cancer
    Here is an article from a Clinical Nutritionist at the cancer center where I get my care . . . and I heard her speak at a cancer conference. Maybe these can at least give you some ideas of things to talk with your oncologist about (that's what I'm going to do when I see my oncologist next week).

http://www.meritcare.com/healthEducation/speakers/cathy_breedon/pdfs/ProstateColonBreastPancreasCancer.pdf
  • camsgram
    camsgram Member Posts: 106
    Hi Gail
    My Onc office has a

Hi Gail
    My Onc office has a in house nutrionist that I just started working with so for right now I'm just trying to eat as many fruits and veggies as I can because everything I read points towards those for healthier eating. To bad cuz I love beef (live in Iowa) and I sure do miss it! Check with your onc to see if they have a nutritionist as well. good luck
    Kathie
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    camsgram said:

Hi Gail
    My Onc office has a

Hi Gail
    My Onc office has a in house nutrionist that I just started working with so for right now I'm just trying to eat as many fruits and veggies as I can because everything I read points towards those for healthier eating. To bad cuz I love beef (live in Iowa) and I sure do miss it! Check with your onc to see if they have a nutritionist as well. good luck
    Kathie

Try to keep it simple.
    Since my diagnosis in Feb/09, I have read many books on nutrition and cancer. All of them have great things to offer. I am not an expert so I keep it simple. I know I need to take vitamin D3 and calcium. I take a high quality multi-vitamin. I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I focus on the brightly colored ones because they are said to be the most beneficial. I eat fish and other good quality protein. I don't eat meat with hormones or antibiotics. I drink red wine but only 3 glasses per week. I do a minimum of 30 mins. of aerobic exercise at least 5 times a week. Walking is a simple way to get that done. Because I'm post menopausal, I do some weight work 3 times per week. I bought 3,5,and 8 lbs. weights so I can do it at home.

By the way, I feel great.

Roseann