Breast Cancer

Summerlove
Summerlove Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm 72 and have just found out I have breast cancer. I thought I had pulled something untill my doctor said I had a lump. Had a mamoram on 5/27/10 and on 6/1 told had to come back for ultra sound bopsy 6/8 it was done,6/11 told it was aggressive and may involve some lymph nodes. I'm scared noone in my family history ever had this. Saw a Plastic surgon yesterday gave me options on having one or both done and have reconstruction done.
It is so hard to decide. Also can have lumpactomacy done, but the cancer could come back even after treatment. Please someone explain to me. As I sit here I go into sweats. My husband has been very supportive. I have not told my children and really don't know how to tell them some live close and some live out of state. I go to the Dr. this afternoon to tell her what I decide can anyone tell me about what after is like.

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Summerlove, so sorry to hear
    Summerlove, so sorry to hear of your dx. So glad that your husband is around to help you.
    I cannot tell you what to do, because each person is different.

But, bear these things in mind:
    1. In this day & age 72 is not old, so make long-term plans.
    2. Another thing to think about is taking steps now to ensure that you will not have
    to go through treatment again in later years.

It was hard to tell my family also. I e-mailed them promptly, realizing that they were going to find out through facebook, etc. (I am 63.)

I sincerely wish you the best; let us know what happens.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Welcome, Summerlove.
    So sorry to hear about your ordeal. You've come to the right place. I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection done in Dec. '09. I have Stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma and 10 positive lymph nodes. I did not have a mastectomy. I underwent 6 rounds of chemo which ended May 6. I have just started 35 sessions of radiation. Every surgeon and oncologist has their treatment regimen and every patient and every patient's cancer is different. I chose to follow the advice of my "experts." I hope you are happy with your doctors and if you're in doubt, it never hurts to get a second (or third) opinion about your treatment.

Good luck to you and many hugs. You will get through this. Let us all know how you are doing.

Renee
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Here is my advice, for what
    Here is my advice, for what it's worth:

Tell your family. It will give them a chance to help, or at least to try to understand the changes that will happen in your life.

Get a notebook and keep a list of questions. Write them down whenever you think of them and take the notebook with you to write down the Dr. answers. The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask and wish you had.

Ask your husband to come with you and write down his questions too. cancer is scary and 2 heads are better than one, especially when strong emotions are involved.

If any of your family or friends ask what they can do to help, tell them! Don't try to go it alone. Maybe they can go shopping for you, cook a meal for you, mow your lawn, or just sit and be quiet with you, or listen to you, whatever. You will both need help in the weeks to come.

Stay in touch with this website. It is great to read the experiences of those who have been there/done that.

take care of yourself, seof
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    missrenee said:

Welcome, Summerlove.
    So sorry to hear about your ordeal. You've come to the right place. I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection done in Dec. '09. I have Stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma and 10 positive lymph nodes. I did not have a mastectomy. I underwent 6 rounds of chemo which ended May 6. I have just started 35 sessions of radiation. Every surgeon and oncologist has their treatment regimen and every patient and every patient's cancer is different. I chose to follow the advice of my "experts." I hope you are happy with your doctors and if you're in doubt, it never hurts to get a second (or third) opinion about your treatment.

Good luck to you and many hugs. You will get through this. Let us all know how you are doing.

Renee

I am so sorry Summerlove.
    I am so sorry Summerlove. It is shocking to hear those words. I had a lumpectomy with radiation treatments. Having breast cancer is a hard pill to swallow, but, you can get through this and beat it!

You have all of us giving you support and encouragement!

Trust in your doctors and question anything you don't understand. This is your treatment, your life.

I never thought twice about telling my family and friends. I love them and they love me and were a huge support to me. And, when I would break down, my husband took over and told people. But, do what you feel best in doing and when you feel it is right.

Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    missrenee said:

Welcome, Summerlove.

Renee

Welcome to the site
    Welcome to the site summerlove! I am so sorry that you have bc and found us as a result of that. But, you will get lots of support, encouragement and help.

Good luck to you!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    seof said:

Here is my advice, for what
    Here is my advice, for what it's worth:

Tell your family. It will give them a chance to help, or at least to try to understand the changes that will happen in your life.

Get a notebook and keep a list of questions. Write them down whenever you think of them and take the notebook with you to write down the Dr. answers. The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask and wish you had.

Ask your husband to come with you and write down his questions too. cancer is scary and 2 heads are better than one, especially when strong emotions are involved.

If any of your family or friends ask what they can do to help, tell them! Don't try to go it alone. Maybe they can go shopping for you, cook a meal for you, mow your lawn, or just sit and be quiet with you, or listen to you, whatever. You will both need help in the weeks to come.

Stay in touch with this website. It is great to read the experiences of those who have been there/done that.

take care of yourself, seof

Seof gave you great advice.
    Seof gave you great advice. Not much I can add except to say good luck to you and I hope you find lots of support and comfort on this board as I have.

Hugs, Megan
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    hi summerlove you came to
    hi summerlove you came to the right site for imformation on breastcancer, im just sorry you have to be here as we all are!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    jo jo said:

hi summerlove you came to
    hi summerlove you came to the right site for imformation on breastcancer, im just sorry you have to be here as we all are!

I am also so sorry
    I am also so sorry summerlove. Praying for you today and always!
  • MSM1003
    MSM1003 Member Posts: 15
    lumpectomy vs mastectomy
    Hi my name is Melissa and I choose the lumpectomy. I wanted them both removed so there would be no later worries, but the doctor said my insurance would not pay.

This cut got very infected and took 5 months to heal. A new tumor came back right next to the old one as soon as chemo stopped. Additionally, I went from stage IIc to stage 4 because it spread to my liver, stomach and bones now.

If I could go back in time, I would have said mastectomy period but this is totally your decision.

A good website to review is http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20188813,00.html
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Dear Summerlove
    First off I love your name!
    I remember when I was told I had cancer, I was devastated and so was my Husband. But after that I got mad. This will not beat me and it can't beat you. I told my family. I need them.. If it was one of them I would want to know. You really have to take one day at a time. Things will clear up with time. It is all very confusing in the beginning. You got some great advice here. And we will all be here 24 hours a day 7 days a week for you and your Hubby when ever you need us. Ask allot of questions. I did allot of research on the Internet . But it was this forum that helped me the most. These ladies are the best and we all know exactly how you feel, and how you will feel. Please let us help .. someday you will be doing it for others right here. Take care God bless Kay
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Dear Summerlove
    First off I love your name!
    I remember when I was told I had cancer, I was devastated and so was my Husband. But after that I got mad. This will not beat me and it can't beat you. I told my family. I need them.. If it was one of them I would want to know. You really have to take one day at a time. Things will clear up with time. It is all very confusing in the beginning. You got some great advice here. And we will all be here 24 hours a day 7 days a week for you and your Hubby when ever you need us. Ask allot of questions. I did allot of research on the Internet . But it was this forum that helped me the most. These ladies are the best and we all know exactly how you feel, and how you will feel. Please let us help .. someday you will be doing it for others right here. Take care God bless Kay

SummerLove .. Welcome to our Sisterhood
    Warrior's in PINK ... I am sorry why you are here, but know that you will find comfort on our board.

Vicki Sam
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    surgery
    Summerlove . . . what did you decide on your surgery? I am 56 - had what they thought was stage 1 invasive ductal cancer - my doctors thought a lumpectomy & radiation would be a good choice. But, I chose to have a mastectomy and I have never regretted it. For one thing, they did find some cancer in the sentinel lymph nodes. Another thing - I do have cancer in my family, and my oncologist wants me to have the BRCA test done - and possibly have the other breast removed and my ovaries removed if that comes back positive. I'm probably not going to do the BRCA test, so I am glad that I did choose a mastectomy for my right breast. I haven't decided yet if I want to do reconstruction. I'm ok for now with my different body and with using a prosthesis. The only time that bothers me is if it's really hot out - kind of uncomfortable then - but so worth it to hopefully have the cancer gone.

Wishing all the best for you . . . you are not alone in this . . . our thoughts & prayers are with you!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Welcome
    Welcome Summerlove, Like my fellow posters said, I wish you didn't have to be here. You have come to the right place though, everyone here will help and support you..
    Hugs,
    Wanda
    Your name is very interesting. Maybe someday you can share it's origin!
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    I opted for a lumpectomy
    I opted for a lumpectomy (followed by re-excision)with chemo now, radiation next, followed by arimidex for 5 years. Do tell your children - they have a right to know and will amaze you as to how strong and supportive they can be My husband has also been right by my side. You can do this as overwhelming as it seems now. This is a great support site - use it often. Good luck to you.
  • EdnaM
    EdnaM Member Posts: 30
    Welcome Summerlove - I'm 71
    I'm so sorry to hear your DX but sounds like you are in good hands with your Drs.
    I'm 71 and had a right breast mastectomy April 21. I also went thru the mammogram,
    ultrasound,MRI, biopsy. I certainly didn't deal well with the news but after being
    told and the dr. said to go home and yell, cry, scream and make your decision.
    I followed my surgeons advice and went with just the right breast mastectomy with
    1 lymph node removal. (I first saw dr. Feb. 8 and with all testing and appointments
    surgery was Apr. 21) I'm very fortunate that have been declared cancer free with no
    chemo or radiation - am going to give arimedix a try and hopefully can tolerate it.
    I'm glad your husband is supporative - I couldn't have faced it without my husbands support.
    Only 1 daughter and she has taken so much of her time to go to Drs. appointments, oncologist, and then on to prostesis fittings. Guess she felt Mom and Dad were too old to comprehend all the info alone.- makes you love and appreciate them more than ever.
    I chose not to have reconstruction and haven't regretted it so far.
    As everyone has said each one of us is different - get all the info you can and then
    you, your family and the drs. confer - you will make the right decison for you.
    Please keep us posted we all care about each other!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Summerlove
    Summerlove, so sorry you are visiting this site with all of us. I'm glad you have a supportive husband. Tell the rest of your family and close friends. They will all be as supportive too.

I'm 61 (postmenopausal 11 years) and the 5th in my family with bc. I was dx May 21. My gyn found the lump and mammogram & ultrasound the next day confirmed his suspicions. I then had biopsy at oncology surgeon's office and breast MRI. I then needed to have a MRI assisted biopsy done on other breast. I had invasive lobular carcinoma in rt breast 6.1cm. I had lobular carcinoma in situ in the left breast. So with my family history I decided on bilateral mastectomies which I had done June 22. Before surgery I did have the BRCA gene test done and I'm negative. I did it more for my daughter who's 33 and her two daughters. Today I'm 2 weeks post op. My surgeon took out sentinel node + 2 from right side and they were negative. On the left 7 nodes were removed that were close and all tested negative. I spent 2 nights in the hospital and I'm just taking it easy at home. My dr removed the drains 1 week post op. I'm dealing ok with the discomfort of nerve endings, occasional twinges, stitches, steri strips, etc. However he did give me the good news that I don't need chemo or radiation because he's confident the cancer was removed. I see oncologist in 2 weeks and will discuss what pill form to take for the next 5 years. It's also been suggested that I have oncologist do the OncotypeDX test to find out what recurrence percentage I have.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Visit this site often as there is a wealth of info.
    Char