I need some foundation garment recommendations...

faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Supportive camisoles for my remaining 'girl' for use while undergoing radiation?

I get that I don't want anything constricting and absolutely no underwire, but I am in dire need of some support for my remaining breast. After my mastectomy, and due to the placement of my drains, I was unable to buttress the old girl up. I eventually got to a point where I could wear sports bras, but I don't think that will work this time. Having gone 'au naturel' post-op was not comfy and walking around actually holding up my remaining breast was unnatural. Thank you God for bulky oversized zippered sweatshirts.

Male doctors seem a tad clueless placing drains where a brassiere usually rests, or maybe they have mother issues...but I digress.

Anyway, I'm not sure a shelf bra will work as weight distribution could be a problem...much heavier and bulkier on the left side and it might pull on the right, the side receiving the radiation. The radiation area will be rather extensive.

Maybe sans the camisole and stick with duct tape?

Any advice or wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I just wore large t-shirt to
    I just wore large t-shirt to absorb the grease and a sweatshirt over that. It was winter so this worked and I just let the one hang. I know what you mean tho. You might ask the nurse as they seem to have more practical advice than the doctors.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I just wore large t-shirt to
    I just wore large t-shirt to absorb the grease and a sweatshirt over that. It was winter so this worked and I just let the one hang. I know what you mean tho. You might ask the nurse as they seem to have more practical advice than the doctors.

Hi, faith_trust -
    I'm of no help to you, as I still have both girls, and did radiation in the wintertime -- by about 2-3 weeks into it, my skin was too tender to wear a bra anymore, so I wore a black cardigan over everything at work, and big sweatshirts or Polartec vests on the weekends.

I just wanted to say hello and offer a sympathetic nod. My male radiation oncologist (who otherwise was very helpful and supportive) also just looked at me blankly when I complained about not being able to wear a bra. I agree with Marcia -- the nurse(s) may have more practical advice. The ACS' tlc site (tlcdirect.org) also has a radiation camisole that you might take a look at, if you haven't already?

Traci
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Hi, faith_trust -
    I'm of no help to you, as I still have both girls, and did radiation in the wintertime -- by about 2-3 weeks into it, my skin was too tender to wear a bra anymore, so I wore a black cardigan over everything at work, and big sweatshirts or Polartec vests on the weekends.

I just wanted to say hello and offer a sympathetic nod. My male radiation oncologist (who otherwise was very helpful and supportive) also just looked at me blankly when I complained about not being able to wear a bra. I agree with Marcia -- the nurse(s) may have more practical advice. The ACS' tlc site (tlcdirect.org) also has a radiation camisole that you might take a look at, if you haven't already?

Traci

Like Marcia and Traci .. I too have tried everything ..
    from vest to large shirts .. I found it impossible to wear a bra - after losing my right breast expander -- I was miserable - to say the least. When leaving my home I had 2 BIG shirts .. I didn't want to draw anyone's eye to my breast section. I found great deals at the larger Women shops -- 2X or larger .. buttoned blouses - a few times in the dryer -- and I was good to go - not a large variety to choose from.

Traci made a wonderful suggestion .. TLC site and please ask you ONC RN for a few suggestions.

Good Luck ..

Vicki Sam
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Barely There
    Hi. I found Barely There bras at my local Kohls store. They have many different kind, however, the one that worked the best for me had no underwire and the sizes came small, medium, large & extra large. No cup size. They had padded cups & unpadded cups. They also had sports bra types and regular bra tyes with the hooks in the back. Two months after my mastectomy, I am still wearing these bras. Hope this helps. Take care.