hair loss/insomnia

Kimosabe
Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Day 14 after my 1st T/C infusion. Noticing strands of hair coming out - how long before the clumps begin? Can't sleep many nights - what's up with that?!?

Comments

• MSM1003
    MSM1003 Member Posts: 15
    hair loss/insomnia
    Everybody loses their hair differently (16 plus days) and at different times depending on what kind of chemo you are taking. I lost mine in clumps during a shower on day 33, where when I was washing it, so much feel out it clogged the shower. This was hard for me. It fell out everywhere leaving bald spots in some areas and nothing wrong in other areas. My head hurt so bad right before this started, to where I wanted the hair off my head because it just hurt so bad. I got the shortest haircut, but it wasn't until chemo 4 did all my hair fall out, your body hair will follow. Your nose hair will cause you to have a lot of running noses, buy kleenex. Your eye brow and eye lashes fall out at different times too, but the good news on these is they come on as they go out which is when chemo is all over. The good news is in March I finished my take the hair chemo, and now July I have a fuller, black and grey that is almost an inch thick now. Most people get black curly hair that I have met.

Insomnia is like the number one complaint that I always hear. Us women, we think too much before we go to sleep. I suggest you get your doctor to get you help in a sleeping pill area. I had to get mine from my primary doctor and it helps a lot.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    MSM1003 said:

hair loss/insomnia
    Everybody loses their hair differently (16 plus days) and at different times depending on what kind of chemo you are taking. I lost mine in clumps during a shower on day 33, where when I was washing it, so much feel out it clogged the shower. This was hard for me. It fell out everywhere leaving bald spots in some areas and nothing wrong in other areas. My head hurt so bad right before this started, to where I wanted the hair off my head because it just hurt so bad. I got the shortest haircut, but it wasn't until chemo 4 did all my hair fall out, your body hair will follow. Your nose hair will cause you to have a lot of running noses, buy kleenex. Your eye brow and eye lashes fall out at different times too, but the good news on these is they come on as they go out which is when chemo is all over. The good news is in March I finished my take the hair chemo, and now July I have a fuller, black and grey that is almost an inch thick now. Most people get black curly hair that I have met.

Insomnia is like the number one complaint that I always hear. Us women, we think too much before we go to sleep. I suggest you get your doctor to get you help in a sleeping pill area. I had to get mine from my primary doctor and it helps a lot.

I am losing my hair after 3
    I am losing my hair after 3 treatments, last time it was about 7 treatments. Last time, i washed my hair and it all started coming out all over me. So this time I am avoiding washing my hair or combing it. I just put a head band on.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Hi Kimosabe
    I am only on day 7 haven't lost any hair yet still waiting for that. I have allot of thick hair. It will be one less thing to do when it falls out ( wont have to wash it ) I have very oily hair and have to wash it everyday. Maybe I will be lucky and it will come back less oily LOL. I only had trouble sleeping right after Chemo when I was taking the Dexamethasone. That will keep you awake. Maybe a cup of hot tea before bed ( if that is your cup of tea LOL) I hope you feel better All the best Kay
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    meena1 said:

I am losing my hair after 3
    I am losing my hair after 3 treatments, last time it was about 7 treatments. Last time, i washed my hair and it all started coming out all over me. So this time I am avoiding washing my hair or combing it. I just put a head band on.

Hi, Kimosabe -
    Just wanted to chime in that everyone is different not only in *when* they lose their hair, but *what* hair they lose.

I did the same chemo cocktail as you -- on TC, the "standard" timeframe for losing your hair is 12-16 days, so you're right "on schedule"!

Some women lose hair everywhere on their body, but many do not, and every one of us here has a different story of what went when.

In my case, I actually lost my hair in the "southern region" first. The hair on my head starting coming out in clumps by Day 17, and we buzzed it down then. I never lost the hair on my legs, under my arms, my nose hair or my eyelashes. My eyebrows thinned badly (but briefly) right at the end of chemo, but never entirely fell out.

It really is crazy how differently the exact same chemo drugs affect each of us.

Traci
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Poor sleep possibilities
    I had trouble sleeping before bc and I have trouble now. Sometimes, I realize I'm not practicing good "sleep hygiene," as they say. If I watch TV or work at the computer right before bed, the light disturbs my body's ability to feel sleepy. (Something to do with melatonin production? I won't try to google it right now.) So, it's better when I read before bed, especially something not too exciting.

Also, I can't drink anything (so much for bedtime tea) several hours before bed or I'm up using the toilet too much and can't get back to sleep. Afternoon caffeine (tea, cola, coffee, chocolate) can be a problem even many hours later. Wine with supper often results in nighttime wakefulness as I metabolize the wine.

Showering right before bed ought to be refreshing and relaxing, but often results in itchy skin.

When I really consider my evening routine, I can see where I'm sabotaging my sleep sometimes. Certainly there are additional issues, such as discomfort from expanders, neuropathy, etc. but I try to control the factors I can control. Best of luck to you!
  • Poor sleep possibilities
    I had trouble sleeping before bc and I have trouble now. Sometimes, I realize I'm not practicing good "sleep hygiene," as they say. If I watch TV or work at the computer right before bed, the light disturbs my body's ability to feel sleepy. (Something to do with melatonin production? I won't try to google it right now.) So, it's better when I read before bed, especially something not too exciting.

Also, I can't drink anything (so much for bedtime tea) several hours before bed or I'm up using the toilet too much and can't get back to sleep. Afternoon caffeine (tea, cola, coffee, chocolate) can be a problem even many hours later. Wine with supper often results in nighttime wakefulness as I metabolize the wine.

Showering right before bed ought to be refreshing and relaxing, but often results in itchy skin.

When I really consider my evening routine, I can see where I'm sabotaging my sleep sometimes. Certainly there are additional issues, such as discomfort from expanders, neuropathy, etc. but I try to control the factors I can control. Best of luck to you!

You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
    My chemo nurses were the ones to clue me in on the sleep deprivation. I thought I was getting my chemotherapy wrong as I was not experiencing the "you'll be so tired" thing. The anti-nausea steroids had me so wired I was cleaning my house in the wee small hours of the morning! My oncologist recommended over the counter Benadryl as that was what they had given me my first two chemos to alleviate any potential allergic reactions.

I stopped at the store after that chemo, bought some, and went home and took it as the doctor indicated. It was marvelous, the only draw back was I had two more days of getting up to eat and take the bloody anti-nausea stuff. I also learned to take my second dose a little earlier on those two days. It worked for me.

Best wishes.
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    hair loss/insomnia
    Thanks everyone. It's day 14 and strands of hair continue coming out but no clumps yet. The insomnia is curious. I have always been a good sleeper. Haven't had decadron for 12 days so it can't be that. Don't know it it's residual from the chemo itself or just anxiety. I think Tylenol PM will be my best friend for awhile.
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Kimosabe said:

hair loss/insomnia
    Thanks everyone. It's day 14 and strands of hair continue coming out but no clumps yet. The insomnia is curious. I have always been a good sleeper. Haven't had decadron for 12 days so it can't be that. Don't know it it's residual from the chemo itself or just anxiety. I think Tylenol PM will be my best friend for awhile.

Hair loss
    Funny I cant remember the exact time my hair started to fall out..but yes 1st it was strands, then about a week later it was the clumps so I cut it really short almost buzz cut, that was hard cause the shortest I ever cut my long hair before was at age 40 & it was up to my sholders, was diagnosed with BC at 41. A couple of weeks after that it all started to fall out...everywhere, including my legs which was the only thing i was greatful for, no more shaving my legs for months. Its been almost 3months now since I had my last Taxatere and Carbo chemo, I have what I call a baby head of hair, still really short but all covered, dark with some gray all around and really soft. Unfortunately the rest of the body hair is also back. Back to shaving legs and underarms. Oh well. Sleepless nights, yea still have them but not as bad as when I was on chemo Taxatere, carbo and Herceptin.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Pinkpower said:

Hair loss
    Funny I cant remember the exact time my hair started to fall out..but yes 1st it was strands, then about a week later it was the clumps so I cut it really short almost buzz cut, that was hard cause the shortest I ever cut my long hair before was at age 40 & it was up to my sholders, was diagnosed with BC at 41. A couple of weeks after that it all started to fall out...everywhere, including my legs which was the only thing i was greatful for, no more shaving my legs for months. Its been almost 3months now since I had my last Taxatere and Carbo chemo, I have what I call a baby head of hair, still really short but all covered, dark with some gray all around and really soft. Unfortunately the rest of the body hair is also back. Back to shaving legs and underarms. Oh well. Sleepless nights, yea still have them but not as bad as when I was on chemo Taxatere, carbo and Herceptin.

Still waiting
    It's been almost 2 weeks since my first treatment, so I know my time is coming for my hair. Hope when it happens, my underarms & legs do too! It will be great not having to shave or wax!