My Port

Lewannah
Lewannah Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had my port inserted yesterday morning...I guess I now should ready myself for this journey. Sigh, I dont want to but I have to. I just dont understand.

Comments

• MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    we're with you . . .
    Wishing you the best - I hope things go well for you. I don't understand either why this had to happen. I've met so many wonderful people on this journey - but I wish it wouldn't have been cancer that made that happen! It's good to have this support group - to know that none of us are alone going through this.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    I didn't have chemo Lewannah
    I didn't have chemo Lewannah and I am sorry that you have to go through this.

Wishing you good luck!

Hugs, Megan
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    You Have Plenty Company Here
    Sometimes I think to myself, is this really happening to me? This can't be happening to me! But then I look in the mirror and see my mastectomy scar. I realize then that this is happening and I can't do anything about it. I just try to keep as positive an attitude that I can. Luckily, I have a great husband and other family and friends that support me. Hang in there. We are all here for each other. Hugs, Jean
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    None of us WANT this 'journey'!
    The day I got my port in was (in some ways) the first day I was really fighting something that I shouldn't have to fight. Ihe next day I started A/C.

There is no known cancer for at least 4 generations in my family but I'm IBC. It's very aggressive with (as far as I know) no genetic causation.

You have taken a very BIG step - you CAN do what you have to. Trying to understand "WHY" isn't going do to much - it happened - it's time to FIGHT - and FIGHT you can!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Rague said:

None of us WANT this 'journey'!
    The day I got my port in was (in some ways) the first day I was really fighting something that I shouldn't have to fight. Ihe next day I started A/C.

There is no known cancer for at least 4 generations in my family but I'm IBC. It's very aggressive with (as far as I know) no genetic causation.

You have taken a very BIG step - you CAN do what you have to. Trying to understand "WHY" isn't going do to much - it happened - it's time to FIGHT - and FIGHT you can!

Lewannaha .. Southern, right?
    I know many of Southern women who love to fight .. Just look at this as a fight for a YOURSELF, and to rid your body of those pesty cancer cells - trying to kill you.

You are now a PINK WARRIOR .. Go for it, Girlfriend!

Vicki Sam
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Are you wondering about the
    Are you wondering about the whole "port" thing, or about the whole "cancer" thing? Thry are two fdifferent things. You probably won't leave the cancer thing. One you are diagnosed, you learn to live with it. The port is another different thing. Yopu can learn to love it, as I have.

I suffer from needle-mania. If I see s health care person approaching me wiht a needle, I go into a defensive mode. I push, I shove, I curse, I absolutely don't let someone push a needle into me. But the port is different. I have Emala cream, which I apply a couple hours before my port will be accessed. It numbs the skin, and I don't feel anything but a bit of pressure. It is a world of differenc from having my veins accessed by the other way. Also I have heard that accessing veins through the arm can cause the vein to eventually collapse, and I certainly don't want that to happen.

A port can make all the difference to comfort when going through chnemo. My opinion is that I highly recommend it. It feels a bit funny when you are showering, but well worth it. I feels like someone taped a quarter to your chest. Nothing more. don't br afraid of it. If you are a needle-maniac like me, you wil welsome it. I know a 3X breast cancer survivor that has a permanent port. Make friends with your port when it is put in. I will be your friend.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Lewannah
    I wish you peace, strength, courage, and hope. One step at a time as you face cancer, defeat it and WIN.
    Jennifer
  • sohardbnme
    sohardbnme Member Posts: 129
    Surgery for port
    I get my port in tommorow...Do it hurt...
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member

Surgery for port

sohardbnme - me Too!!!
    Hey we're in this together -I'm getting my port put in tomorrow too! Best of luck to you, I'll be thinking of you! I just hate the "no eating or drinking ANYthing past midnight" part -and my surgery isn't until 2:45 Monday afternoon.
    Hope it all goes well with you1 We'll do this together tomorrow ;)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

Surgery for port

Good luck to all tomorrow!
    Hurt - no - tender - yes for me.

I got out of mucking stalls for 2 weeks so that was nice but I could have done it if I had to but would have been have been slower and picked up less on each fork for several days. I rode 2 days after but I did ride the mellowist of our horses. Also gave the riding lessons I had been doing. Hubby made me take the 'script pain pills at noon after we picked them up and then at 6 pm but when he woke me up at midnight to take another one that was it. I did take one of the 'good' pills the next days before I went to chemo as wasn't sure what to expect and figured it was better to have already taken one - didn't need it.

Yes - it was tender. Remember that the skin had been cut fairly deep so it will be tender. Also we all have different pain tolerances and the expertise of our surgeons is not the same. Mine was put in last Aug 25 and will be seeing both my Chemo and Rads Dr. on Aug 30 - will see then if it comes out or not - personally I want it to stay so IF it's needed it's already there - pretty sure Dr. T is going to be happy with that. It's a bit inconvient to have to have it flushed every 4 weeks but not bad - easier than having it taken out and then perhaps have to have it re-implanted.

Susan
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Hi Lewannah,
    Not sure what

Hi Lewannah,
    Not sure what you don't understand but if it's the whole cancer thing, you are not alone. It's a kick in the stomache and it stinks, but you will get through it and please just keep up the fight. We all have bad days and I just try to get through them because there are also good days.
    I actually hated my port. I'm sorry, but I'm telling the truth. Was it necessary, YES, but I felt like it was always bothering me and as soon as I was done with chemo and rads, I had it removed. We are all different and only you know what is right for you. I have a girlfriend who LOVES her port and still has it in even though she's completed all her treatments.
    I wish you peace right now and I hope you keep strong.
    Blessings and Hugs,
    Wanda
  • sohardbnme
    sohardbnme Member Posts: 129

sohardbnme - me Too!!!
    Hey we're in this together -I'm getting my port put in tomorrow too! Best of luck to you, I'll be thinking of you! I just hate the "no eating or drinking ANYthing past midnight" part -and my surgery isn't until 2:45 Monday afternoon.
    Hope it all goes well with you1 We'll do this together tomorrow ;)
    *hugs*
    Heather

Hugs...
    Heather,

Good Luck tommorow...I will update tommorow...
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Good luck to you and Heather
    tomorrow. I get my port in early Friday morning. I was told they just put you out and you don't remember a thing. My sister didn't have any problems with her port. (She called it her button.) My problem is I'm having a needle biopsy next Tuesday and chemo starts the following Tuesday. It's so comforting to know that we're all in this together. What a great support group!
    Char
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Good luck to you and Heather
    tomorrow. I get my port in early Friday morning. I was told they just put you out and you don't remember a thing. My sister didn't have any problems with her port. (She called it her button.) My problem is I'm having a needle biopsy next Tuesday and chemo starts the following Tuesday. It's so comforting to know that we're all in this together. What a great support group!
    Char

No doesn't hurt
    Make sure you sleep on your back for a few nights. For about a week I had a problem accepting something foreign in my body, but now it doesn't bother me. It was a great help while in chemo.
    Good luck ladies
  • lksdgrl101
    lksdgrl101 Member Posts: 12
    Megan M said:

I didn't have chemo Lewannah
    I didn't have chemo Lewannah and I am sorry that you have to go through this.

Wishing you good luck!

Hugs, Megan

Megan M...
    what in your diagnosis allowed you to skip chemo....