Had last AC treatment today.....Taxol to start on the 16th.-What should I expect?

gobluegirl90
gobluegirl90 Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have finally made all the scans, biopsies, lumpectomy and port cath installed and now I have made it thru my LAST round of AC!!!!! I feel like I finally have hit a big marker in this long journey. My Onc says I can take 2 or 3 weeks off before I start Taxol, I chose to take only take 2 weeks off, I am ready to get these next 12 weekly rounds of Taxol done.

I talked to a lady today that has got me freaked out about taking Taxol, with her allergic reaction she had during her first few infusions, and she is having vomitting and weak, aches and tired and had to go on dissibility at work because of her Taxol?
I have continued to work all thru my AC treatments other than Fridays after so every other Friday I would take a sick day, when I went back in for my Neulasta Shot (which will be tomorrow......LAST one of those too) then I worked from home on MOnday and Tuesdays then worked Wednesday thru Friday, I work 5 or sometimes 6 hours a day. My job has been very supportive and accomidating about my sugeries, chemo and doctor appts.

What can I expect with the Taxol, My Onc seems to think it will be a lot easier on me, since i did so well on the AC?

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    From A/C to Taxol/Taxotere
    I essentially breezed through my 4 rounds of A/C (according to the oncologist) and have now completed 7 of the 12 rounds of Taxotere. I have had no allergic reactions of any kind. I very much appreciate the fact that it is no longer necessary to have the 5 Neupogen shots like I did after each A/C treatment. I feel like my energy level is better now, also. Not normal by any means - just improved. I am, however, moderately anemic. So far it has not required any medical intervention of any kind such a a transfusion. I am told if the hemoglobin gets down to 8.5 that could be in order. I am at 9.7 this week. With the Taxotere I am now taking Decadron (aka dexamethasone) the day before chemo, the day of chemo and the day after chemo. Decadron also is given through my port prior to the Taxotere along with Benadryl and Zantac. The steroids (which is what Decadron is) have unfortunately caused my to develop oral thrush. Now I have been prescribed Diflucan pills for 3 days and Nystatin mouth rinse. The Taxotere has also caused my eyes to tear excessively. I am constantly wiping my eyes and must keep a tissue with me at all times. While this may all sound terrible, I actually feel like I am doing pretty well. All that matters to me is that I am not nauseous or vomiting. I can deal with anything else.
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Taxol
    I had 4 rounds of A/c every 2 weeks, then I just finished 4 rounds of Taxol every 2 weeks.
    On A/C, I had mostly nausea (controlled by medications)and no appetite at all. Most food tasted awful. Taxol was very different - no digestive problems at all, however the body pains were awful. Vicodin was extremely helpful though. I know most people get Taxol every week for 12 weeks, so they don't get as much drug at once, so hopefully that will lessen any side effects you may get. Like another poster, I had very teary eyes, but on both A/C and Taxol; mouth issues (helped by a special prescription mouthwash), and burning hands and feet (mostly on A/c, but continued on Taxol). I'm having some neuropathy with Taxol. I've had 3 blood transfusions due to low hemoglobin (8.0 and even 7.4 one time), but that was on both A/C and Taxol. Hopefully you will breeze through Taxol! Good luck to you!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    linpsu said:

Taxol
    I had 4 rounds of A/c every 2 weeks, then I just finished 4 rounds of Taxol every 2 weeks.
    On A/C, I had mostly nausea (controlled by medications)and no appetite at all. Most food tasted awful. Taxol was very different - no digestive problems at all, however the body pains were awful. Vicodin was extremely helpful though. I know most people get Taxol every week for 12 weeks, so they don't get as much drug at once, so hopefully that will lessen any side effects you may get. Like another poster, I had very teary eyes, but on both A/C and Taxol; mouth issues (helped by a special prescription mouthwash), and burning hands and feet (mostly on A/c, but continued on Taxol). I'm having some neuropathy with Taxol. I've had 3 blood transfusions due to low hemoglobin (8.0 and even 7.4 one time), but that was on both A/C and Taxol. Hopefully you will breeze through Taxol! Good luck to you!

I had a tough time with
    I had a tough time with chemo in general, but Taxol is considered to be easier. they do the first infusion slowly and premedicate you with meds to decrease allergic reactions. I received decadron, pepcid, and benadryl IV. I was afraid of the allergic reactions but did not get them. I had Gi issues with both treatments, but was a bit achy for the weekend after receiving chemo on thurs. Report any numbness or tingling, weakness to your doc. I still have peripheral neuropathy. Reading this sounds negative and i dont mean to, taxol was easier for me.
    I think you will have to see how you do, dont worry about what has happened to others,looks like you are a strong warrior. let us know how you are doing.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Congrats on having your last
    Congrats on having your last AC today! Wishing you good luck with Taxol. Praying it will be easier on you!
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Congrats on last AC!!
    Donna is almost 5 weeks behind you, despite having her lumpectemy 3 days before you, but I'm glad to see you made it through the AC. The Taxol is supposed to be milder, but who knows.

Bob
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Hubby said:

Congrats on last AC!!
    Donna is almost 5 weeks behind you, despite having her lumpectemy 3 days before you, but I'm glad to see you made it through the AC. The Taxol is supposed to be milder, but who knows.

Bob

Go Blue Girl 90 -)))
    Taxol was not my friend (my case only). I lost 3 Toe nails - 2 are still trying to grow back and my finger nails - split, bleed and became very brittle.

Taxotere was not my friend as well - fainting, extremely fatigued and lost my zest for living and family. My case only -

Herceptin - I am Her2 nu - positive .. is terrible - and yes, I do have side efforts .. Herceptin really break down your heart and heart muscles. Echo's no EKG's are needed during chemo treatments - which last 1 year from start to finish.

Please also note: There are many sister's in PINK who go thru 4 maybe 6 cycles of chemo treatment with the above, or a combination of the above chemo drugs and have very few side effect. This is what I pray for you.

Best of Luck,

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    For me - Taxol was nasty!
    A/C wasn't bad at all for me. Hair (most but not all - eyelashes and brows only thinned) left along with appetite and sense of taste. I was tired (but not exhausted) 2 days after dose for 2 days. The only thing Neulasta did was 2 hrs almost to the minute after getting it I would go to sleep for 2 -3 hours. 2 weeks after the last dose of it I had a Mod. Rad Mast. and 3 weeks later started Taxol.

Taxol (12 weekly), I was COMPLETELY EXHAUSTED day 2 - 6. Day 7 & 1 I'd feel a bit better - really tired. Napping/Sleeping did not help - in fact I could not sleep, had to to take sleeping pills to get any sleep which I've never before done. The first pill that Chemo Dr gave me only let me get 2 -3 hrs sleep and gave me horrible nightmares (I don't normally have nightmares) so my PA changed it to the lowest dose of Ambien and it worked great for me. My temperature dropped - I was rarely over 97.something F (occasionally 96.something) and I was always cold. I've always been on the low side and cold most of time anyway but this was worse. The IV Benadryl that they gave me always put me "nighty-night". I've taken oral Benadryl with it not making me the least bit sleepy but the IV was lights out. So I got a room with a bed (it also had it's own heater so they could crank it up so I didn't freeze and they didn't have to bring as many heated blankets. This was during the winter in western SD (Black Hills) so it's quite cold here then. My BP also ran low during this time - it's still on the lower side but not as low as it was. Also had a hard time keeping enough K(potassium) as was put on fairly high dosses of it and stayed on it for quite a while. I didn't have problems with pain or neuropathy. That's about all I can think of now. OH - I started rads a week after the last Taxol, I started feeling better within the week and taste started coming back - still have no appetite. All together I lost 45 lbs and at least now I'm holding at that and not loosing any more. On Femara now.

Remember that we are each so unique - there is no way to say what you might or might not experience.

God Bless!

Susan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    VickiSam said:

Go Blue Girl 90 -)))
    Taxol was not my friend (my case only). I lost 3 Toe nails - 2 are still trying to grow back and my finger nails - split, bleed and became very brittle.

Taxotere was not my friend as well - fainting, extremely fatigued and lost my zest for living and family. My case only -

Herceptin - I am Her2 nu - positive .. is terrible - and yes, I do have side efforts .. Herceptin really break down your heart and heart muscles. Echo's no EKG's are needed during chemo treatments - which last 1 year from start to finish.

Please also note: There are many sister's in PINK who go thru 4 maybe 6 cycles of chemo treatment with the above, or a combination of the above chemo drugs and have very few side effect. This is what I pray for you.

Best of Luck,

Vicki Sam

OHH- nails
    I forgot about my nails. Lost both big toe nails and hand nails got kind of nasty but Nail Envy by OPI worked great and they 'held together' with it on them.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    VickiSam said:

Go Blue Girl 90 -)))

Best of Luck,

Vicki Sam

Wanting to wish you good
    Wanting to wish you good luck! You have already been given a lot of good advice.

Keep us updated on how you do!
  • grandmasueb
    grandmasueb Member Posts: 49
    Rague said:

For me - Taxol was nasty!
    A/C wasn't bad at all for me. Hair (most but not all - eyelashes and brows only thinned) left along with appetite and sense of taste. I was tired (but not exhausted) 2 days after dose for 2 days. The only thing Neulasta did was 2 hrs almost to the minute after getting it I would go to sleep for 2 -3 hours. 2 weeks after the last dose of it I had a Mod. Rad Mast. and 3 weeks later started Taxol.

Taxol (12 weekly), I was COMPLETELY EXHAUSTED day 2 - 6. Day 7 & 1 I'd feel a bit better - really tired. Napping/Sleeping did not help - in fact I could not sleep, had to to take sleeping pills to get any sleep which I've never before done. The first pill that Chemo Dr gave me only let me get 2 -3 hrs sleep and gave me horrible nightmares (I don't normally have nightmares) so my PA changed it to the lowest dose of Ambien and it worked great for me. My temperature dropped - I was rarely over 97.something F (occasionally 96.something) and I was always cold. I've always been on the low side and cold most of time anyway but this was worse. The IV Benadryl that they gave me always put me "nighty-night". I've taken oral Benadryl with it not making me the least bit sleepy but the IV was lights out. So I got a room with a bed (it also had it's own heater so they could crank it up so I didn't freeze and they didn't have to bring as many heated blankets. This was during the winter in western SD (Black Hills) so it's quite cold here then. My BP also ran low during this time - it's still on the lower side but not as low as it was. Also had a hard time keeping enough K(potassium) as was put on fairly high dosses of it and stayed on it for quite a while. I didn't have problems with pain or neuropathy. That's about all I can think of now. OH - I started rads a week after the last Taxol, I started feeling better within the week and taste started coming back - still have no appetite. All together I lost 45 lbs and at least now I'm holding at that and not loosing any more. On Femara now.

Remember that we are each so unique - there is no way to say what you might or might not experience.

God Bless!

Susan

I finished 4 rounds of Ac
    I finished 4 rounds of Ac which was a nightmare for me. I am now doing 12eeks of taxol which i have finished 3 tratments so far, they premedicate you with meds to decrease allergic reactions. I received decadron, pepcid, and benadryl IV. I have had no allergic reaction. I have been having some joint bain 3 days after treatment and lasting for 3 days. My onc prescrbe me a non narcotic drug called Tramadol which is wroking great so far. Taxol is so much eaiser then Ac. I can make it thru these next 9 weeks alot better then I could have with Ac. The only thing is I get very sleep during treatment with the Benadryl but when its over I am refreshed and had a nice nap during the trearment.