About to take 1st shower

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After post op from bilateral mastectomies my surgeon said I could take a shower when I saw him Tuesday so today is the day. When my hubby gets home from work I'll ask him to help me. My skin tight sports bra has been irritating my skin. Did anyone feel like their skin was burning? I'm not afraid to look at myself even though I've had boobs since I was 12 and I'm 61 now. I went from 40DD to nothing. Yikes! I know common sense tells me to not stand with the water hitting my chest and to wash very gently. Any other suggestions???

After I pat dry I have to put new bandages back on and wear the sport bra for another couple of weeks. Unfortunately the sports bra is stained under the arms & around the straps from antiseptic (blue & orange) and doesn't smell great. Oh well, it will still feel better than a sponge bath.
Anxiously awaiting, Char

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    A shower's a lovely thing
    You probably have enjoyed your shower by now -- didn't it feel great?! Honestly, my first shower after surgery was a cross between bliss and almost fainting from the sight of myself. I'm glad to hear you were not afraid. Do you have surgical glue on you? It took several showers before I got it all removed.
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    drainage tubes?
    I agree - it felt so great to shower after the surgery! I had a drain in (had mastectomy on rt side) which I thought was such a pain in the shower - I was really glad when my dr took that out!
  • camsgram
    camsgram Member Posts: 106
    Hi Char glad you got to
    Hi Char glad you got to shower! I took a large string and tied it around my neck and then pinned the drain tubes it it with safty pins. It worked really well for showering. Good luck with your speedy recovery! Kathie
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    camsgram said:

Hi Char glad you got to
    Hi Char glad you got to shower! I took a large string and tied it around my neck and then pinned the drain tubes it it with safty pins. It worked really well for showering. Good luck with your speedy recovery! Kathie

Shower :)
    Wow... A shower: I remember how great it was... once I was allowed to take a shower. I actually could not take a shower until all my drains were out. I remember going to SuperCuts for them to help me wash my hair. We appreciate the simple things.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Drains
    Drains were taken out on Tuesday. I didn't end up taking my shower yesterday because it had gotten late after we had dinner. So, today is the day. I'm thinking no matter what it will feel great. The only downer is that my surgeon wants me to wear the compression bra for a couple more weeks and it's just so disgusting!
    Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Drains
    Drains were taken out on Tuesday. I didn't end up taking my shower yesterday because it had gotten late after we had dinner. So, today is the day. I'm thinking no matter what it will feel great. The only downer is that my surgeon wants me to wear the compression bra for a couple more weeks and it's just so disgusting!
    Char

Char: Be care with those drain .. they HURT big time
    if they hang loosely .. while you're showering! I placed my drains in my soap dish and showered very slowly. 1 of my tubes - fell, and I screamed in pain. It was the last time that happened.

Also I did away with the compression bra for a few hours .. by using large safety pin's and attaching my drains to the inside of my blouse.

I grossed out when measuring the fluid from my tubes .. I did get better.

Good Luck .. and Enjoy your shower.

Vicki Sam
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    camsgram said:

Hi Char glad you got to

You will feel so much better
    You will feel so much better after you shower Char. Good luck with your recovery!
  • conpal
    conpal Member Posts: 1
    Sally5 said:

Shower :)
    Wow... A shower: I remember how great it was... once I was allowed to take a shower. I actually could not take a shower until all my drains were out. I remember going to SuperCuts for them to help me wash my hair. We appreciate the simple things.

Hi
    Thanks for the info to this group...When I saw the Super Cuts I knew it was the right Sally...You've been a big help..take care and have a great 4th...
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    VickiSam said:

Char: Be care with those drain .. they HURT big time
    if they hang loosely .. while you're showering! I placed my drains in my soap dish and showered very slowly. 1 of my tubes - fell, and I screamed in pain. It was the last time that happened.

Also I did away with the compression bra for a few hours .. by using large safety pin's and attaching my drains to the inside of my blouse.

I grossed out when measuring the fluid from my tubes .. I did get better.

Good Luck .. and Enjoy your shower.

Vicki Sam

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh----
    that first shower!! Isn't it funny how we all remember that first one after our surgeries??! I guess that's our first step getting back to normal. My hubby helped with my first one, too, as I had my tubes. Once in, I chased him out. I stayed in the shower sooooooooooooo long, he kept popping his head into the bathroom going, "You done yet?". I'd simple say no, and off he'd go, giggling harder than I was...

Hope by now you've had your shower, Char, and you feel so much better!

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Jennifer
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    That's liberating!
    It's one step towards reclaiming some normalcy and independence. I never thought I would be so darn excited over taking a shower, even though I had 4 tubes sticking out of me. Not taking a shower after 4 days feels so gross!

It's just one of the many things I took for granted.

Also, I'm a stomach sleeper so sleeping on my back was not comfortable for me. The day I finally got to turn over and sleep on my stomach was a very happy day!!

Prayers & blessings to you.

Sylvia
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    sea60 said:

That's liberating!
    It's one step towards reclaiming some normalcy and independence. I never thought I would be so darn excited over taking a shower, even though I had 4 tubes sticking out of me. Not taking a shower after 4 days feels so gross!

It's just one of the many things I took for granted.

Also, I'm a stomach sleeper so sleeping on my back was not comfortable for me. The day I finally got to turn over and sleep on my stomach was a very happy day!!

Prayers & blessings to you.

Sylvia

Hello
    Hope your shower was great..... Yes, it helps you feel normal again.
    Take care

Hi Conpal
    Glad to see you here ....
    Your friend... :)
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    camsgram said:

Hi Char glad you got to

Glad you got your first
    Glad you got your first shower too! I know it felt so good to you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!