Should a PET be done after chemo?

KimberleyJo
KimberleyJo Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My sister had cancer in both breasts, and had a double mastectomy with chemo afterwards. She has never had a PET scan, even though her tumors had two different types of cancer cells, one type of cancer in each breast. After she completed chemo her oncologist said that a PET scan wasn't necessary, because he knew how to treat the cancer, and believed it was gone based on his treatment. Is this normal? I am concerned that she went through all of the treatment and may still have cancer. Do they usually do a PET scan to make sure it's gone? I would appreciate any input you may have. Thank you, and God bless you all!

Comments

• cocarolyn
    cocarolyn Member Posts: 7
    I had breast cancer in both breasts too.
    The oco dr said that the cancer in my breasts were unrelated and 2 separate cancers just like your sister. He said the same cancer can't travel between breasts. My lymph nodes were clear. I had chemo and radiation due to a single cancer cell being close to the "margin". I asked my oco dr about a PET scan and he said it wasn't needed. He did tell me I need to continue monthly breast exams since I have implants. Having cancer in both breasts can possibly be a marker for BRAC1/2 gene. I found out today I don't have this gene. I hope your sister has a speedy recovery!
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    No standard procedure apparently
    Moopy's oncologist in St. Louis wanted a PET scan done after chemo was completed in 06/2009; she believed Moopy had actually had a positive intramammary node in her first PET from 12/2008. So she ordered another PET scan for "restaging," which insurance approved. Moopy and I weren't exactly thrilled with another scan and another period of scanxiety. But it was all good. Whatever was or wasn't there in December 2008 was totally gone in June 2009: so whether it was never really there or it was Complete Pathological Response from the chemo - either one was more than fine with us.

Good luck and God Bless,
    Joe
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    No PET here
    I had double mast. and chemo after having three types of cancer at once. My onc says no PET scan needed, just regular manual exams. And no mammograms, due to having implants. If I do develop any odd pains or symptoms, then further testing would be appropriate. I trust my doctors, so I'm good with it.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

No PET here
    I had double mast. and chemo after having three types of cancer at once. My onc says no PET scan needed, just regular manual exams. And no mammograms, due to having implants. If I do develop any odd pains or symptoms, then further testing would be appropriate. I trust my doctors, so I'm good with it.

From what I have been told,
    From what I have been told, a Pet Scan is only done if you are stage 4 or if there is some indication that the cancer spread, for example a bone scan or cat scan. The test is very expensive, mine was over $20,000 and sometimes the insurance company will not authorize it.
  • proudmom2
    proudmom2 Member Posts: 6
    meena1 said:

From what I have been told,
    From what I have been told, a Pet Scan is only done if you are stage 4 or if there is some indication that the cancer spread, for example a bone scan or cat scan. The test is very expensive, mine was over $20,000 and sometimes the insurance company will not authorize it.

my experence
    I had a lumpectomy and after finishing chemo and radation no scans where done and I just found out the the cance spread to the lining of my lung and it had only been 9 months since my last treatment
  • camsgram
    camsgram Member Posts: 106
    I had a PET scan before BLM
    I had a PET scan before BLM and before any treatments. I asked my ONC today if I would have another after chemo is over and he said it was not necessary. Hope this helps.
    Kathie
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    camsgram said:

I had a PET scan before BLM
    I had a PET scan before BLM and before any treatments. I asked my ONC today if I would have another after chemo is over and he said it was not necessary. Hope this helps.
    Kathie

PET scan
    Hi all,
    I had a PET scan before surgery. From those I spoke to, it seemed routine. (I had a bilateral mastec. 8 weeks ago) I was under the impression that they wanted to see what is going on in your whole body. You want to make sure your treatment for your breasts is all you need. I know I will have another scan. I am not sure if it is at 3 mo. or 6 mo.

It was scary (not the test... waiting for the results). Knowledge is power.
  • arkansasgirl
    arkansasgirl Member Posts: 84
    PET SCAN HERE
    Hi KimberleyJo

I could not wait till chemo was over with and waited 5 months that my ONC had my pet scan
    done. As of FEB 1st it showed me to be CANCER FREE. I have a rare BC that chemo and radiation had no effect. I did take 6 treatments chemo. So I wanted a pet scan to make sure
    there was nothing else going on any where in my body. I'm also triple negative.
    So that too made a big difference.
    First of all its your body. Second you need to have your own peace of mind that there is
    nothing else going on in your body. So I would say GO FOR IT!!! If you have insurance and it will pay for it I would request it.

God Bless You and Good Luck

ARKANSASGIRL
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

No PET here

I don't know. It seems some
    I don't know. It seems some do and some don't. Maybe unless you are having some pain or problems, they don't order it.

Good luck!
  • KimberleyJo
    KimberleyJo Member Posts: 5
    Thank you!
    Thanks for all your input...I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experiences. May God bless you all with healing, grace and peace! Health to all! :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thank you!
    Thanks for all your input...I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experiences. May God bless you all with healing, grace and peace! Health to all! :)

Kimberley Jo .. Great question .. and from what I see
    it all depends on insurance,and your inital readings before chemo treatments. I now will be asking my Onc at my next visit.

Vicki Sam