first a heart attack, now breast cancer

pie
pie Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is there anyone who has had a heart attack and is now battling breast cancer? I am going to the oncologist next week but I have been reading about the side effects of the treatments on the heart. I had a quadruple bypass 5 years ago and now I have this to face. Has anyone had the same?

Comments

• smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I am so sorry
    I can't give you any advise but I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. I cant imagine going through what you have and now this on top of it. I do wish you all the best. I know there have been great strides and new drugs now that are easier on the heart. Please keep us posted. Good luck, and best wishes. Kay
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Oh my you have been sthrough so much already.
    I can't offer any advice or help either and I would like to say my prayers are with you now.

Love Ronda
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Sorry You Are Going Through This
    Before my wife started chemo they gave her a Mugascan test to see if her heart could handle it. She is having AC-T, and the A portion is supposed to be particularly hard on the heart. There are other chemo rigiments that aren't as hard on the heart. Bring up any concerns with your oncologist. He/she will help you make the right choice for you.

Bob
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I had a heart attack in 2008
    I had a heart attack in 2008 and then was diagnosed with breast cancer metastasis in 2009. I have not had to have chemo, but am on arimidex and zometa. Also had radiation again. So far, my heart has done fine. I am hoping and praying that you do well too!
  • pie
    pie Member Posts: 19

I had a heart attack in 2008
    I had a heart attack in 2008 and then was diagnosed with breast cancer metastasis in 2009. I have not had to have chemo, but am on arimidex and zometa. Also had radiation again. So far, my heart has done fine. I am hoping and praying that you do well too!

Thank you Cypress Cynthia
    Thank you Cypress Cynthia and Bob. You give me hope. What a wonderful site this is. I hope that someday I can give hope to others. My journey is just beginning, but to know that others have survived gives me strength. Thanks to all who have responded to me.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Hubby said:

Sorry You Are Going Through This
    Before my wife started chemo they gave her a Mugascan test to see if her heart could handle it. She is having AC-T, and the A portion is supposed to be particularly hard on the heart. There are other chemo rigiments that aren't as hard on the heart. Bring up any concerns with your oncologist. He/she will help you make the right choice for you.

Bob

Just want you to know that I
    Just want you to know that I am keeping you in my prayers!

Hugs, Diane
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Oh my you have been sthrough so much already.
    I can't offer any advice or help either and I would like to say my prayers are with you now.

Love Ronda

I am so sorry you are going
    I am so sorry you are going thru this. I wish I could help.

All I can do is offer you prayers and positive thoughts.

Hugs, Jan
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    prayers
    Praying that all goes well for you!
  • HeartofSoul
    HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member
    MNLynn said:

prayers
    Praying that all goes well for you!

Heart
    Heart damage
    http://www.acsevents.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_4X_What_Are_The_Side_Effects_of_Chemotherapy.asp

Certain chemotherapy drugs can damage the heart. The most common ones are the anthracyclines, such as daunorubicin and doxorubicin, but other drugs may cause heart damage, too. This occurs in about 1 in 10 people who receive these drugs and usually involves damage to the heart muscles.

If the heart is damaged by chemotherapy, it may not be able to pump blood through the body as well as it did before treatment. This can lead to fluid build-up and other problems known as congestive heart failure.

You may feel these symptoms:

puffiness or swelling in the hands and feet (fluid retention)
    shortness of breath that gets worse with exercise or lying flat
    dizziness
    erratic heartbeat
    dry cough
    If you have had previous radiation to the mid-chest area, pre-existing heart problems, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or if you are a smoker, you will be at higher risk for heart damage.

Often, before the doctor starts chemotherapy with a drug that can cause heart damage, he or she will check your heart function to make sure that there are no major problems. Your heart function will also be checked during treatment to ensure that no changes have occurred. Tests such as an electrocardiogram (EKG), an echocardiogram, or a MUGA scan are done to check for any changes in heart function. An electrocardiogram records the heart's electrical impulses, while an echocardiogram is an ultrasound of the heart. With a MUGA scan, you are given a radioactive substance that a special scanner traces through your heart to tell how well your heart is pumping.

If problems develop, the chemotherapy drug will be stopped to prevent further permanent damage. Tell your doctor or nurse right away if you notice changes in your heart rhythm, shortness of breath, weight gain, or fluid retention.

Can chemotherapy increase the risk of heart disease?

Answer
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chemotherapy-side-effects/an01407

from Timothy Moynihan, M.D.
    Some chemotherapy drugs may increase the risk of heart disease, especially weakness of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy). Certain types of chemotherapy also increase the risk of heart attack, especially during infusion of the medication. Fortunately, heart disease associated with chemotherapy is relatively rare — and not all chemotherapy drugs carry the potential side effect of heart damage.

It's important to note that some newer anti-cancer treatments — such as trastuzumab (Herceptin) for breast cancer — may cause heart damage as well, although the effect is often reversible.

If your doctor is considering using a chemotherapy drug that may affect your heart, he or she may test your heart function before starting treatment. During treatment, you may need periodic heart monitoring as well. If you have a pre-existing heart condition, such as cardiomyopathy, your doctor may suggest a different type of chemotherapy.

Generally, the risk of heart disease associated with certain chemotherapy drugs increases with the total lifetime amount of the drug you receive. To minimize the risk of heart damage, your doctor will carefully monitor the amount of each type of chemotherapy drug you receive. If you experience chest pain or other symptoms of a heart attack during chemotherapy, report it immediately to your health care team.

In addition, some cancers require radiation therapy. If the area of your body receiving radiation includes your heart, you have an increased risk of cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease and heart attack. The combination of radiation and chemotherapy can further increase your risk of heart damage. However, your doctor can take steps to reduce these risks as much as possible