How long

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How long did you experience annoying discomfort after bilateral mastectomies???? My sports bra, tape over bandages or something is really irritating my skin. It almost feels like a burning sensation. Does the ache take a long time to lessen? I'm only 10 days post op, so am I expecting too much too soon?
Char

Comments

• Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Hi Char
    Sorry to hear that you had to go through this too... I had mine back in December and I promise it does get better... it takes a bit of time so be patient and take something to ease the pain...I used Aleve or Advil.. I must have blocked out that time period b/c I can hardly even remember it... soon you will be up and doing all of things you used to do......

Best,
    Dot
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    It will ease up
    Char,
    I took Advil for about 4 weeks after my surgery. Some days, more than others. It will ease up. I actually didn't wear a bra for awhile. I recently found BARELY THERE bras. The ones that I like have no underwire and come small, medium, large, extra large. No cup size. They come padded and unpadded. These are very comfortable, and am still wearing them, since I won't finish my reconstruction until after my chemo treatments are over. Hope this helps. Have a great weekend. Hugs. Jean
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Do you have drains?
    Are you having to deal with drains? Things get simpler after they're gone. As soon as the surgeon said okay (I forget exactly when, sorry), I removed the compression "tube top" and have gone braless ever since. You might try that when you can.

Aches and pains can take a while to get better. A lot of nerves were disturbed by your surgery, and even the healing process creates a variety of sensations. Ten days post op seems pretty soon to me. Are you taking any meds to help with the aches?

Also wondering, did you have reconstruction?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Do you have drains?
    Are you having to deal with drains? Things get simpler after they're gone. As soon as the surgeon said okay (I forget exactly when, sorry), I removed the compression "tube top" and have gone braless ever since. You might try that when you can.

Aches and pains can take a while to get better. A lot of nerves were disturbed by your surgery, and even the healing process creates a variety of sensations. Ten days post op seems pretty soon to me. Are you taking any meds to help with the aches?

Also wondering, did you have reconstruction?

Ditto with Christine Louise .. I removed my
    compression 'tube top" bra and went braless ever since. Seriously :

Nerves and muscles were torn and cut during our surgery -- mine lasted 6 1/2 hours .. so I can just imagine what my poor body went thru. It will take time and patience to heal, I remember my C-Sections and with limited movement I had back then --. This is the same sensation, however up a little higher on my body.

Advil has always worked for me, and try to exercise your arms while recovering. I have full arm function - both left and right .. 7 days after my bi-literal. I did not need to go to the PT. Believe me she was will to work with me, as I see her bi-weekly for my chronic fatigue sydome.

If things do not improve - Please call your doctor.

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I've been
    I've been taking Tylenol every 6 hrs now. It doesn't really seem to help the "hotness" I'm feeling all around the spandex tube bra. Unfortunately my surgeon wants me to wear it a couple more weeks. It will probably fall off me it will be so disgusting. It did help when he removed the drains this past Tuesday but the discomfort hasn't changed. I can't wear deodorant for a few more weeks either because he doesn't want it getting into the incision. I have purchased a very soft camisole with cotton boob inserts but can't wear it yet. Because I had 9 surgeries between my 2 shoulders, my surgeon was very careful in placement during surgery and I've had no problems post surgery in raising my right arm (I have a reverse total shoulder prosthesis). My left arm doesn't move past the elbow because I have no humeral head in the shoulder. So, I guess I'm progressing normally. I'll probably feel a lot better when I can stop wearing the torture bra. lol
    Char
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Jean 0609 said:

It will ease up
    Char,
    I took Advil for about 4 weeks after my surgery. Some days, more than others. It will ease up. I actually didn't wear a bra for awhile. I recently found BARELY THERE bras. The ones that I like have no underwire and come small, medium, large, extra large. No cup size. They come padded and unpadded. These are very comfortable, and am still wearing them, since I won't finish my reconstruction until after my chemo treatments are over. Hope this helps. Have a great weekend. Hugs. Jean

I don't know Char, but,
    I don't know Char, but, looks like many have posted answers for you!

Feel better and have a good 4th!