Going to argue with the Dr.

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My oncologist, Dr. Jay, has left and I see a new one tomorrow. On my last visit with Dr. Jay he said we would not start my chemo with Avastin until all my scaps were gone from my mastectomy.

I talked with the nurse today and informed her I still have over 3 inches of scap. I thought we should change my appointment tomorrow for chemo to another two weeks out. She said to come in tomorrow she is sure the new Dr. will want me to go ahead and start chemo.

I have decided I will go in but I am not having in blood work and I will not have the chemo. Do I sound unreasonable?

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Sweetvickid
    I also got switched to a new oncologist, but fortunately after all of my chemo and rads were done, so I know it can be frustrating to have to switch gears, especially when you are comfortable with the doctor you had.

I would recommend going in with an open mind instead of with your mind already made up though. It could be that delaying the chemo might make it less effective. Plus, they may recommend Neulasta shots, which should help boost your immune system so that the healing of your scabs won't be compromised.

I still had a scab from a skin cancer spot on my chest (not 3", but about 1 1/2") when I started chemo, so my oncologist ordered the Neulasta from the beginning. I didn't have any problems with healing and was fortunate to also not have much in the way of side effects to the Neulasta, either. Of course, everyone is different, but that was my experience.

You may still decide to delay your chemo, but just make sure you're making the best decision for you based on all available information.

I wish you the best whatever you ultimately decide.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Sweetvickid
    I also got switched to a new oncologist, but fortunately after all of my chemo and rads were done, so I know it can be frustrating to have to switch gears, especially when you are comfortable with the doctor you had.

I would recommend going in with an open mind instead of with your mind already made up though. It could be that delaying the chemo might make it less effective. Plus, they may recommend Neulasta shots, which should help boost your immune system so that the healing of your scabs won't be compromised.

I still had a scab from a skin cancer spot on my chest (not 3", but about 1 1/2") when I started chemo, so my oncologist ordered the Neulasta from the beginning. I didn't have any problems with healing and was fortunate to also not have much in the way of side effects to the Neulasta, either. Of course, everyone is different, but that was my experience.

You may still decide to delay your chemo, but just make sure you're making the best decision for you based on all available information.

I wish you the best whatever you ultimately decide.

Take care,
    Cindy

Sweetvickid .. Cindycflynn offered wonderful advise
    Please .. Please go in with an open mind, and make sure you're making the best decision for you ..

I can not comment on the scabs .. as I have been cut up several times, and have never had scabs on or near my cuts .. bi-laterally or otherwise. Best of luck with the healing.

Neulasta will and can help with boosting .. white blood cell counts - important because WBC help fight infections and keep us going during the grueling weeks of chemo.

Strength and courage to you ..

Vicki Sam
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    In my opinion no! If you had
    In my opinion no! If you had a good relationship with your first ONC. I think you are reacting the same way most of use would under these circumstances. He had to have a reason for wanting you to wait.Just listen to him and see what he has to say. I had a lumpectomy but my ONC. waited until I was healed well to start chemo. I am glad you are standing up for yourself, sometimes these Dr.s think our opinion does not matter, but IT does and we need to be able to talk things out with them. He may also have a good reason to start now. Like the others have said go with an open mind! Well thats my 2 cents worth :o)Keep us posted. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Not unreasonable at all
    But like the other posters said, it's a good idea to hear the new oncologist out. Just because the nurse *thinks* the new onc will start chemo anyway doesn't make it a fact. The new onc is far more likely to pick Dr. Jay's original plan (wait until the area is entirely healed) over the nurse's opinion.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Nope
    Vicki, I'm with the others who agree that you are right not to unquestioningly go by the nurse's instructions. Your new oncologist should answer your questions to your satisfaction. I would have the bloodwork done ,so he/she will have that information. Good luck to you, and good for you for sticking up for yourself.

By the way, I have an oncologist in that same clinic. I don't know much about the others, but if you will be seeing Dr. Nair, I would be glad to share my experiences. He is a kind, calm person, easy to talk to. Sorry Dr. Jay left. Changing oncs. during treatment and being asked to trust a completely new person would be concerning for anyone.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Yes - to me - unreasonable
    Yes - to me - unreasonable to decide that you won't have blood work or start chemo without at least talking to the new Dr with an OPEN mind.

There are so many possibilities - Dr. J might have been expecting them to be healed by now. New Dr might feel it's needed to be started - I don't know. Without talkiing to talking to new Dr and finding out what HE - not the nurse - thinks and why how can you make a decision? Have you asked your surgeon's opinion?

Sorry - I don't mean to sound 'mean' but I think it makes sense to go with an open mind!

Good Luck

Susan
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Sweetvickid
    I think we all can empathize with how difficult it is to change oncs. I have two - they rotate in and out of the office on a 6 week basis. My favorite is a lady who is just awesome, highly respected and I trust her implicitly. The other is a good doctor but just doesn't have that same connection. It is tough when I don't get to see my favorite one but I know they both have my best interests at heart and are trying to get me through this.

It can be unsettling to have a change in plans once you have in your mind how things are going to work. I could also see how this would be especially tough when it comes to something like chemo. I can tell you that I still had scabs from my bilateral, had open wounds from two drains and scabs from the other three and had my port for one day when they started my chemo (this was a month after my bilateral). I was a little dizzy from seeing the onc and having them say "let's get started" when I wasn't really expecting it but at the same time, the sooner I got started the sooner the chemo could attack any of those dreaded cells left behind and the sooner I got through it and got finished.

Most oncs are great about explaining where we are and why they want to do things and answering our questions. I agree with the others - give him a chance to explain and then see what you think. I wish you the best!

Chris
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Sweetvickid
    I think we all can empathize with how difficult it is to change oncs. I have two - they rotate in and out of the office on a 6 week basis. My favorite is a lady who is just awesome, highly respected and I trust her implicitly. The other is a good doctor but just doesn't have that same connection. It is tough when I don't get to see my favorite one but I know they both have my best interests at heart and are trying to get me through this.

It can be unsettling to have a change in plans once you have in your mind how things are going to work. I could also see how this would be especially tough when it comes to something like chemo. I can tell you that I still had scabs from my bilateral, had open wounds from two drains and scabs from the other three and had my port for one day when they started my chemo (this was a month after my bilateral). I was a little dizzy from seeing the onc and having them say "let's get started" when I wasn't really expecting it but at the same time, the sooner I got started the sooner the chemo could attack any of those dreaded cells left behind and the sooner I got through it and got finished.

Most oncs are great about explaining where we are and why they want to do things and answering our questions. I agree with the others - give him a chance to explain and then see what you think. I wish you the best!

Chris

Vicki my question is when did you have your surgery?
    Also Can Avastin impact healing after surgery?
    Blood work will give information about your health conditions and help you and your oncologist to make decisions about your treatment.
    Good luck tomorrow
  • sweetvickid

Sweetvickid

Chris

Avastin
    The reason I need to be completely healed is I will be taking Avastin. Walked over to my neighbons who is a nurse practioner. Had her look at my incision and she said it is not healed and if it was her she would not let me take Avastin. Assured me once the oncologist sees the incision she will delay me starting chemo another week atleast.
  • sweetvickid

Vicki my question is when did you have your surgery?
    Also Can Avastin impact healing after surgery?
    Blood work will give information about your health conditions and help you and your oncologist to make decisions about your treatment.
    Good luck tomorrow

Yes it does
    Avastin does impact the healing process.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Avastin
    The reason I need to be completely healed is I will be taking Avastin. Walked over to my neighbons who is a nurse practioner. Had her look at my incision and she said it is not healed and if it was her she would not let me take Avastin. Assured me once the oncologist sees the incision she will delay me starting chemo another week atleast.

Please to see your breast surgeon
    who did the surgery. This Doc could help to make assessment of your wounds and scars.
    I also read your profile and you have been taking a lot ofChemo so far. I think 1 extra week will make a difference for healing. The mode of action of Avastin is to cut blood supply to cells.

The manufacture of Avastin Genentech posted on the company web-side the following warning:http://www.gene.com/gene/products/information/oncology/avastin/
    Surgery and wound healing problems: Treatment with Avastin can lead to slow or incomplete wound healing (for example, when a surgical incision has trouble healing or staying closed). In some cases, this event resulted in fatality.

Good luck
    New Flower
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Aortus said:

Not unreasonable at all
    But like the other posters said, it's a good idea to hear the new oncologist out. Just because the nurse *thinks* the new onc will start chemo anyway doesn't make it a fact. The new onc is far more likely to pick Dr. Jay's original plan (wait until the area is entirely healed) over the nurse's opinion.

I agree that it would be a
    I agree that it would be a good idea to at least hear what this new doctor says. Sometimes nurses say way too much and things that they really don't even know. Good luck!