Speaking of Ports

2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What keeps them in place and what is it that keeps it from moving around? I have not even ventured in to touching mine, ewwwwwww it's in there but will sleeping a certain way cause it to shift?

Thanks, Love Ronda

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Hi Ronda
    I've had my port since Dec. '09. At first it was creepy thinking about some foreign object under my skin in my body. But, believe me, with all the blood work necessary and chemo, I grew to love that port! It's still pinches once in a while when I lay on my right side (the side the port's in), and every once in a while if I move in a weird way, I feel a pinch. However, I have moved around as I usually do and after almost 7 months, the port is in place and I haven't had any problems with it. Good luck to you and here's a hug.

Renee
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    don't really know the answer
    but i totally agree it's ewwwwwwww yucky! i have gotten to the point where i can sleep on my right side, but i am so aware of it there under my skin!! today was the second time my port was used - the first time they inserted the iv while i was in surgery, so today i was really curious to see the process, and quite a process it is. amazing is the word that comes to mind!
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    heidijez said:

don't really know the answer
    but i totally agree it's ewwwwwwww yucky! i have gotten to the point where i can sleep on my right side, but i am so aware of it there under my skin!! today was the second time my port was used - the first time they inserted the iv while i was in surgery, so today i was really curious to see the process, and quite a process it is. amazing is the word that comes to mind!

I've had my port since 9-11-09 AND I LOVE IT!
    I don't even know it's there, it doesn't move, doesn't hurt and doesn't restrict me in any way. I got my port when I had my mastectomy so I hardly noticed it because I had so much going on with the drain etc. I only noticed soreness one time, when I got in the car coming home from the hospital the next morning and I reached over with my left arm to get the seat belt. After that, never again. It is a tiny little button and if you think that's icky, what about the expanders etc.? Just another medical thing...and a real lifesaveer of veins.

You put on the Emla cream and the needles don't hurt, really amaziang. You'll get used to it in no time, maybe even like it. lol

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Skeezie said:

I don't even know it's there, it doesn't move, doesn't hurt and doesn't restrict me in any way. I got my port when I had my mastectomy so I hardly noticed it because I had so much going on with the drain etc. I only noticed soreness one time, when I got in the car coming home from the hospital the next morning and I reached over with my left arm to get the seat belt. After that, never again. It is a tiny little button and if you think that's icky, what about the expanders etc.? Just another medical thing...and a real lifesaveer of veins.

You put on the Emla cream and the needles don't hurt, really amaziang. You'll get used to it in no time, maybe even like it. lol

port
    I've only had mine since Feb. 25th. I agree with Ronda about the "pinch". I told one of my chemo nurses that a couple of weeks ago and she said she never heard of that. Thanks Ronda, now I know I'm not crazy! (Though others might disagree.)

When I first got it and occasionally after chemo, my seatbelt lays across it and it feels a little tender. Otherwise it's great. I do know 2 women whose ports "flipped". One had to have it redone, the other went to her surgeon who simply manipulated it with his fingers and got it "right side up". Good luck with yours! MM
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Skeezie said:

Hi missrenee
    Yes that's exactly how it feels, like a pinch from time to time.

heidie I am closing my eyes.

Skeezie where do you get the Emla cream or whatever it is you called it? ( I will dread those expanders) not looking forward to those at all.

Thanks for responding to my question, Love Ronda
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    I dont remember what keeps
    I dont remember what keeps the port in place. I've had mine since September 09 and am truly grateful I have it. Blood draws are so much easier. I nearly passed out the day I got the port because I was dehydrated and they had problems getting a vein. with the port that is no longer a problem. It's ususally a little sore after a draw but nothing I cant live with.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    natly15 said:

I dont remember what keeps
    I dont remember what keeps the port in place. I've had mine since September 09 and am truly grateful I have it. Blood draws are so much easier. I nearly passed out the day I got the port because I was dehydrated and they had problems getting a vein. with the port that is no longer a problem. It's ususally a little sore after a draw but nothing I cant live with.

Hi Rhonda,
    Ask your onc for an Rx for the Emla (or a generic like I have). You put a big glob of it over the port and hour or hour and a half before your appt. and I cover it over with a small quarter size square of Saran Wrap taped down on all four sides with paper tape to keep the cream on top of the port. It is made up of lidocaine. It numbs the area and doesn't hurt when they put the needle in.

My onc. gave me an Rx for it during patient orientation along with a ton of other scripts for all the drugs we get for nausea, steroids, etc.

Some of the others here have good ideas for covering the cream on the port maybe they'll chime in with their ideas. I forget them now but some sounded pretty good when I read them a while ago.

Call for that script before you go in for chemo or any blood draws, you'll start loving your port before you know it....

Judy & Her Port - Bff!
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    port moving......
    I mentioned to my surgeon that one tech at the image center poked and prodded my port, and I was concerned that it would move. He said no way, it is sewn in place! I now also only allow the nurses access it for chemo or blood work. When I need a pet scan, etc., I first go to cancer inst. and have nurse access port, then to image center for test, then back to cancer inst. nurse to flush and remove. I have a 'power' port and have been told to only allow a registered nurse access it. The lab tech at my image center is not familiar with it...and did not think it needed to be flushed! Oh...and the nurses use a 'freeze' spray before inserting the needle....I don't feel anything!
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    cavediver said:

port moving......
    I mentioned to my surgeon that one tech at the image center poked and prodded my port, and I was concerned that it would move. He said no way, it is sewn in place! I now also only allow the nurses access it for chemo or blood work. When I need a pet scan, etc., I first go to cancer inst. and have nurse access port, then to image center for test, then back to cancer inst. nurse to flush and remove. I have a 'power' port and have been told to only allow a registered nurse access it. The lab tech at my image center is not familiar with it...and did not think it needed to be flushed! Oh...and the nurses use a 'freeze' spray before inserting the needle....I don't feel anything!

hmmm. . . .
    i was a little concerned about having my port accessed for labs yesterday before chemo, no one had mentioned the cream or freeze spray, so i wasn't sure what would happen. i never felt the needle go it. the removal of it after chemo was slightly uncomfortable, i think because the nurse put some pressure on my port to pull the needle out. but totally doable ; )