New and just had double mastectomy

13»

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

thank you!
    Thank you for sharing your information on this thread. I have cancer in my right breast, but have also opted for a double mastectomy, and having expanders put in to start reconstruction immediately. I'm just waiting on the call back from my surgeon's office -they're coordinating schedules with the plastic surgeon so hopefully I will know today when I have my surgery. It sounds like you're doing very well with your recovery, and since I'm a big old baby, that's encouraging to me, I am a little bit scared of all the down time, I have a 9 year old and a 19 month old that I have to chase after! The apron is a good idea, too. Just wanted to say thanks again for sharing, when you hear from someone who has just gone through what you're about to go through, it makes it a little less scary!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Wishing you the best
    Wishing you the best Heather! Let us know when your surgery is scheduled. We will all be there with you, holding your hand!

Hugs, Megan
  • anitap1
    anitap1 Member Posts: 25

thank you!
    Thank you for sharing your information on this thread. I have cancer in my right breast, but have also opted for a double mastectomy, and having expanders put in to start reconstruction immediately. I'm just waiting on the call back from my surgeon's office -they're coordinating schedules with the plastic surgeon so hopefully I will know today when I have my surgery. It sounds like you're doing very well with your recovery, and since I'm a big old baby, that's encouraging to me, I am a little bit scared of all the down time, I have a 9 year old and a 19 month old that I have to chase after! The apron is a good idea, too. Just wanted to say thanks again for sharing, when you hear from someone who has just gone through what you're about to go through, it makes it a little less scary!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Heatherbelle
    I was scared to death of the down time and the pain. I have had several surgeries in the past so I thought I knew what to expect. I have done beautifully. I had my drains out today and had heard how painful it was. I literally did not feel them coming out. I know it may not be this way for everyone, but think positively. This is something you have to do so you can raise those children. The 9 year old can be a very big help with the other child. Good luck. If I was your age, I would have reconstruction, too, but I have grown grandchildren and I just didn't want any done than needed to be done. I don't need boobs. I am buying the fake ones and will be content with them. If not, I can always go back and have reconstruction. Good luck. Keep us informed.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Rolling Out the Pink Carpet
    Hi!

I opted for a double and had mine on 9-9-09 and never looked back!

Just finishing up reconstruction with my last step of tatoos coming in about two months.

Welcome!!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

Anitap1, so happy to hear
    Anitap1, so happy to hear that your drains are out and that you are doing so well!

Sending you big hugs! ( gentle hugs )
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Sorry your drains are still in.
    Anita,
    I can relate to your discomfort with your drains. I only came home with one and had it in for 10 days. Hope they take it out soon. I had a mastectomy (left breast), and reduction (right breast) on May 3, 2010. My lymph nodes were clear also and I was HER 2+. My Oncologist suggested 4 chemo treatments as well as Herceptin for the HER 2+. I have had one treatment and 3 more to do. However, the Herceptin I have to take for a year. This isn't a chemo treatment. Good luck to you and welcome to the site. It is addiciting! Hugs, Jean
  • anitap1
    Jean 0609 said:

Sorry your drains are still in.
    Anita,
    I can relate to your discomfort with your drains. I only came home with one and had it in for 10 days. Hope they take it out soon. I had a mastectomy (left breast), and reduction (right breast) on May 3, 2010. My lymph nodes were clear also and I was HER 2+. My Oncologist suggested 4 chemo treatments as well as Herceptin for the HER 2+. I have had one treatment and 3 more to do. However, the Herceptin I have to take for a year. This isn't a chemo treatment. Good luck to you and welcome to the site. It is addiciting! Hugs, Jean

drains out now
    I had my drains out last week. Then we got in the car and drove to Savannah, GA for a family reunion. I did well, but tired easily. I don't know if the tiredness was from the surgery or from my fibromyalgia. I would just stop and rest. Now, I am scheduled for July 14th to go to the oncologist. I was originally scheduled yesterday but the doctor still had not received the FISH results. I am hoping the test comes in this week. We start back to school here on Aug. 2 and I would like to know and start if necessary before school begins. My new boobs should be in at the end of the week, so I can fill out my clothes again. I didn't realize how big my stomach was until there are no boobs there to hide the stomach. :-)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    anitap1 said:

drains out now
    I had my drains out last week. Then we got in the car and drove to Savannah, GA for a family reunion. I did well, but tired easily. I don't know if the tiredness was from the surgery or from my fibromyalgia. I would just stop and rest. Now, I am scheduled for July 14th to go to the oncologist. I was originally scheduled yesterday but the doctor still had not received the FISH results. I am hoping the test comes in this week. We start back to school here on Aug. 2 and I would like to know and start if necessary before school begins. My new boobs should be in at the end of the week, so I can fill out my clothes again. I didn't realize how big my stomach was until there are no boobs there to hide the stomach. :-)

my drains
    my drains came out June 29 - 1 week post op. My surgeon said everything look very good and zipped me back up. lol I asked lots of questions and he answered everything. The problem is that when I decided to take my first shower I didn't realize how big/long the incisions would be. Did you have that reaction?
    Char
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    anitap1 said:

Mine had grown from the
    Mine had grown from the initial diagnosis until the surgery. Thanks for the information about the HER. The surgeon didn't really explain any of this. I will be back and learn from you and others. Thanks

Want to congratulate you on
    Want to congratulate you on the clean nodes!

Take care!
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    cahjah75 said:

my drains
    my drains came out June 29 - 1 week post op. My surgeon said everything look very good and zipped me back up. lol I asked lots of questions and he answered everything. The problem is that when I decided to take my first shower I didn't realize how big/long the incisions would be. Did you have that reaction?
    Char

I too am glad
    I am sorry you too have to face all you do and to have to go through this all is sometimes more than we think we are up for. Wow you are a fighter and survivor so this is just another bump in the road. You are right about one thing as is everyone else that talking and sharing may be too much for others to take but it is one thing that is necessary in recovering and moving on.
    For those of us that have wished hoped and prayed for our lives to be different this sure is a quick way to facing all that is necessary to have that.
    I am so grateful that I do not keep things hidden inside so they can grow and fester in silence often ignored and denied by our very selves.
    I Think I am learning to pray for things that matter in my life, right here an now. No sense missing the small miracles along the way...
    Welcome,
    Tare
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    anitap1 said:

drains out now

Glad you got those drains
    Glad you got those drains out anitap! And, happy that you got to go to your family reunion.

Wishing you continued good luck and hoping you heal quickly!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    anitap1 said:

drains out now

Congrats on no drains now!
    Congrats on no drains now! I am sure you were tired from your surgery, but, great that you got to go!

Good luck with your test results! Post to let us know.

Hugs, Jan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    anitap1 said:

drains out now

Wishing you a speedy
    Wishing you a speedy recovery anitap1!

Hugs, Diane
  • anitap1
    DianeBC said:

Wishing you a speedy
    Wishing you a speedy recovery anitap1!

Hugs, Diane

speedy recovery
    Thanks for the well wishes. I am doing very well. It was four weeks Friday. I got fitted for my store bought boobs and they should be in Thursday. I am also going to a proctologist on Thursday. The case worker cancer nurse called from my insurance company and said that there was a correlation between breast cancer and colon cancer and since I have never had that test, I decided to get it out of the way. She said there was also a correlation between cervical cancer and breast cancer. I had cervical cancer in '73. I have one drain hole which isn't healing well, so I am keeping antibiotic salve and a band aid on it. It has been a long four weeks, but I am so much better. Now, off the the oncologist on Monday.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    anitap1 said:

speedy recovery
    Thanks for the well wishes. I am doing very well. It was four weeks Friday. I got fitted for my store bought boobs and they should be in Thursday. I am also going to a proctologist on Thursday. The case worker cancer nurse called from my insurance company and said that there was a correlation between breast cancer and colon cancer and since I have never had that test, I decided to get it out of the way. She said there was also a correlation between cervical cancer and breast cancer. I had cervical cancer in '73. I have one drain hole which isn't healing well, so I am keeping antibiotic salve and a band aid on it. It has been a long four weeks, but I am so much better. Now, off the the oncologist on Monday.

Glad you are doing better
    Glad you are doing better anitap! Good luck with your tests. Keep us updated!

Hugs, Debby
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I see
    Anita, I see my oncologist on Monday too. I'm going to ask him about the OncotypeDx test. I'm hoping he will concur with my surgeon in that I don't need chemo or rads. I'm a bit anxious):
    Char