A blonde with chemo brain!!!

jo jo
jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
IF having chemobrain isnt bad enough, add being blonde to that and you could write a joke book!
When the chemobrain hits me it hits pretty good...I had to drive 2 hours away to go to one of my doctors appointments and as i was driving down interstate 80 i just wanted to glance down to check my speed and i could not remember which one was the speedometer...i could not remember its the REALLY BIG ONE IN THE MIDDLE...it actually took me a good 5 minutes for it to register...wow did i feel stupid after that. Im just glad nobody was with me while i was starring at all the other gages tryin to figure out which one it was with the really confused look on my face...cuz even i had to laugh at my self for that, THEN the guy passing me looked at me seeing that nobody else was in the truck with me and im laughin my butt off...he moved away rather quickly!
I think the chemo just intensifys these blonde moments and i have ALOT of them!
I guess i should use the cruise control next time if i remember how to use it!

Comments

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    I guess it is a good thing
    I guess it is a good thing my husband has driven me to all of my appointments!!!!

I can remember once when I was taking chemo I was having a conversation with a man and I was confusing my words. I would start it with the right letter but it would not be the right word. The guy never said anything but I too felt like an idiot. I just hoped he understood some of what I was saying.

Sending Understanding Hugs

Donna
  • jo jo

I guess it is a good thing
    I guess it is a good thing my husband has driven me to all of my appointments!!!!

I can remember once when I was taking chemo I was having a conversation with a man and I was confusing my words. I would start it with the right letter but it would not be the right word. The guy never said anything but I too felt like an idiot. I just hoped he understood some of what I was saying.

Sending Understanding Hugs

Donna

I also have thoughs moments
    I also have thoughs moments too of mixed words and feel like an idiot and when you freeze in mid sentence cuz you cant remember what you were sayin...ya know that DUH moment!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

I also have thoughs moments
    I also have thoughs moments too of mixed words and feel like an idiot and when you freeze in mid sentence cuz you cant remember what you were sayin...ya know that DUH moment!!

Jo Jo .. I must be your twin sister from another Mother and
    State .. DUH is my new middle name. I hate walking into a room .. and not remembering what I went in there for .. I also hate it ... with PURE passion .. when I am speaking and can't seem to find the word or words I'm looking for.

And I am really piss.. that my Onc tells me Chemo brain is made up.. He's a man .. so I don't pay too much attention to him, since he has not gone thru breast cancer himself. His Onc RN has, so I rely more on Barbara when comes to matters of .. actual side efforts from our chemo drugs.

I am careful when I drive .. cuz there has been a few times I have looked up, and didn't know how I got there .. Living in Southern California .. this is SCARY .. Watch out you other Southern Californian drivers .. Vicki Sam is back on the road! hehheheheheh

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    VickiSam said:

State .. DUH is my new middle name. I hate walking into a room .. and not remembering what I went in there for .. I also hate it ... with PURE passion .. when I am speaking and can't seem to find the word or words I'm looking for.

And I am really piss.. that my Onc tells me Chemo brain is made up.. He's a man .. so I don't pay too much attention to him, since he has not gone thru breast cancer himself. His Onc RN has, so I rely more on Barbara when comes to matters of .. actual side efforts from our chemo drugs.

I am careful when I drive .. cuz there has been a few times I have looked up, and didn't know how I got there .. Living in Southern California .. this is SCARY .. Watch out you other Southern Californian drivers .. Vicki Sam is back on the road! hehheheheheh

Vicki Sam

yup!!! I notice its getting
    yup!!! I notice its getting better though
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    carkris said:

yup!!! I notice its getting
    yup!!! I notice its getting better though

I didn't need chemo, but, I
    I didn't need chemo, but, I had a lumpectomy and rads. I think what you are talking about just goes along with having a bc diagnosis. So, I call it BC brain!

Hugs, Leeza
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

WHAT a relief!
    I on occassion went to the bathroom three times....each time
    not remembering what I went there for.( to brush my teeth)

And YES the words, I know what I am trying to say but simply
    can not remember the words.

One night I was driving and it was crazy, I felt as though I was
    in a computer game, everything was coming towards me and
    the speed felt really fast.

I sure slowed down... though it was scary and exhilarating
    at the same time.

Chemo brain DOES exist.

Ayse
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    aysemari said:

WHAT a relief!
    I on occassion went to the bathroom three times....each time
    not remembering what I went there for.( to brush my teeth)

And YES the words, I know what I am trying to say but simply
    can not remember the words.

One night I was driving and it was crazy, I felt as though I was
    in a computer game, everything was coming towards me and
    the speed felt really fast.

I sure slowed down... though it was scary and exhilarating
    at the same time.

Chemo brain DOES exist.

Ayse

Oh ya I get that, I am done
    Oh ya I get that, I am done with chemo and i still am wondering when the chemo brain goes away. I can't remember anything. LOL your story was really funny.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Kat11 said:

Oh ya I get that, I am done with chemo and i still am wondering when the chemo brain goes away. I can't remember anything. LOL your story was really funny.

Chemo brain does exist
    Chemo brain does exist that's a fact. One time when I went for chemo I was following the nurse to the room where she takes weight/blood pressure, and forgot where I was. I had to ask her if I was following her, and what was I there for. Scared me.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Kat11 said:

I want to know where you
    I want to know where you live, as, I want to avoid driving in that area. lol

Sorry, I am not meaning to make fun of how you are doing. Just wanted to add a lil humor to it.

I didn't have chemo, but, I am like that. I agree with what was written above, I think it is cancer brain. We put ourselves thru so much. It is no wonder we have these types of problems.

Hugs, Megan
  • putzie
    putzie Member Posts: 66 Member
    Yes, JoJo...My name is Dawn,
    Yes, JoJo...My name is Dawn, and I have chemo brain!!!! Same things...forget what the heck I went into a room for, conversations that really have no meaning, ugh!!! I started as a brunette but we shall see when my hair comes back in if it is chemo brain or if I am really a blonde!!!

Wouldn't it be funny if we all got together and tried to converse?????
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Yep, I had the same
    Yep, I had the same challenges with remembering words. I had my last chemo treatment 8 months ago and can honestly report that I am almost back to normal. I don't seem to search for words anymore like I did while taking chemo and for several months after. I can remember sitting here trying to type a reply to a post and would have to really search my brain for words...even easy words. Good news, it does get better, at least it has for me.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I certainly find myself walking into a room and forgetting what I went there for.

I feel like putting a big sticky notepad on me to write down what I am going searching for, so, I don't have to rely on my memory.

I hate it! lol

Sue :)
  • jo jo
    Good im glad im not going
    Good im glad im not going crazy...as Vickisam put it...were all twins from another mother and state!!