Accidentally found 2cm RCC approx 3 wks ago - scared and have alot of questions

zacoopsmom
zacoopsmom Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
I am a 38 year old female with two small children. I was having difficulty urinating about 3 weeks ago. I was sent to have an abdomen ultrasound by my primary care doc. They found gallstones and what looked to be a renal mass. So she sent me back for an MRI with and without contrast. They found a 2 x 1.8 cm mass suspicious of Renal Cell Carcinoma. They also found a cyst on my right kidney but are telling me not to be concerned with that. I have seen two urologists and they have had my case looked at by a radiologist. They are all suggesting I have the RFA - radiofrequency albaltion or the cryoablation. Has anyone had either of these? I have so many questions and concerns. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Did anyone have other tests done?

With the ablation you can't have a biopsy - I have been reading that there are different types of RCC that are treated differently. Any opinions?

I have also been given the option of a lap partial. I can't decide if this is a better option than the ablation. I know the ablation is less invasive and would be a quicker recovery. I have a five year old and a 14 month old at home and all I think about is how to take care of them.

My head is spinning with all the info I have been reading. Just feeling overwhelmed between having to deal with treating cancer and taking care of my gallbladder issue.

Comments

• Lovinlife2009
    Lovinlife2009 Member Posts: 2
    A lot of questions
    Hi zacoopsmom,

First, I am sorry to hear of your news. I know what you are going through, and the million thoughts that are entering your head. The best decision that you can make is the one that is right for you. I chose an open partial. I was in the hospital for 4 days and at home for 4 weeks. The first week home was the worst, but I am glad that I chose that surgery. I know by doing it that way, the cancer was gone. My tumor was 1 cm, also found accidentally. I encourage you to not make any decisions without research, and to see what works best for your situation. It is also important to replace any negative thoughts with positive ones, and a commitment to fight his horrible illness. Keep your chin up, even post surgery. My thoughts are with you.
  • zacoopsmom
    zacoopsmom Member Posts: 3

A lot of questions
    Hi zacoopsmom,

First, I am sorry to hear of your news. I know what you are going through, and the million thoughts that are entering your head. The best decision that you can make is the one that is right for you. I chose an open partial. I was in the hospital for 4 days and at home for 4 weeks. The first week home was the worst, but I am glad that I chose that surgery. I know by doing it that way, the cancer was gone. My tumor was 1 cm, also found accidentally. I encourage you to not make any decisions without research, and to see what works best for your situation. It is also important to replace any negative thoughts with positive ones, and a commitment to fight his horrible illness. Keep your chin up, even post surgery. My thoughts are with you.

Thank You
    Hey Lovinlife2009,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am definately doing alot of research and talking to more than one doc. The ablation would work better for my life situation with the fact that I have a 5 year old and a 14 month old. But I do have alot of family close by that is more than willing to help out. But I am not the type that likes to have questions unanswered and the ablation would not tell me 100% that I have cancer or what type, stage, grade, etc. it is. And like you I feel that surgery would be more likely to remove it all even though the docs are telling me it is the same percentage. I really like that I have found a site like this so that I can talk to people who understand what I am going through. Thanks again for responding to me.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • newsable
    newsable Member Posts: 3

Thank You
    Hey Lovinlife2009,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am definately doing alot of research and talking to more than one doc. The ablation would work better for my life situation with the fact that I have a 5 year old and a 14 month old. But I do have alot of family close by that is more than willing to help out. But I am not the type that likes to have questions unanswered and the ablation would not tell me 100% that I have cancer or what type, stage, grade, etc. it is. And like you I feel that surgery would be more likely to remove it all even though the docs are telling me it is the same percentage. I really like that I have found a site like this so that I can talk to people who understand what I am going through. Thanks again for responding to me.

Ablation
    By now, perhaps you've had your treatment? I have had ablation and my tumor was smaller than your's.....1.7 cm A biopsy was done prior to the ablation confirming that I had papillary renal cell carcinoma. I am five days post procedure, first day pain free (all pain had been controlled by Tylenol after the first day in the hospital) but am still experiencing low energy. That is improving. This procedure was done outpatient.

Hope you have done well and would like to know your results.