Ladies, please I need advise

Options
Lighthouse_7
Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have to risk sounding like a child right now because I am having terrible mood swings and I can't get a handle on what I should do. Please bear with my rambling. I stopped Femara because of this same feeling, and after I did I felt like my old self again.
My new Onc. put me on Arimidex and Bingo, here it is again. I want to cry for no reason and I am fighting this constant feeling of doom.
Please someone tell me what I am supposed to do? Five years like this cannot happen!
He was very kind and said that I should let him know about the side effects, but in my mind, he'll just tell me to try the last one, Aromisin? Can't remember that name. I really don't want to go on Effexor or any of those drugs, they just go against my grain. I know I sound like a brat but I am so depressed about this 5 year thing!
WOuld I be a horrible person if I didn't take anything? I was Stage 3 invasive ductal with 8 nodes infected.
Any help would be so appreciated.
Again, I am sorry for this post and hope that I don't upset anyone.
Thanks,
Wanda

Comments

• Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options
    Wanda
    No you are not a brat or a horrible person for feeling depressed about 5yrs being on these strong meds. It is a long time and I feel like you too. So overwhelmed with the thought of being on Tamoxifen for the next 5yrs. I too am starting to have these rollercoaster of emotions and I've only been on it for 2wks, I was stage II, HER2, Estrogen & Prgest. positive, no cancer in my nodes. The only thing I can offer that is helping me a little is knowing someone who was on Tamoxifen for 5 yrs, she has been done for over 5yrs now, and said time does go by faster then you think.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options
    Pinkpower said:

Wanda
    No you are not a brat or a horrible person for feeling depressed about 5yrs being on these strong meds. It is a long time and I feel like you too. So overwhelmed with the thought of being on Tamoxifen for the next 5yrs. I too am starting to have these rollercoaster of emotions and I've only been on it for 2wks, I was stage II, HER2, Estrogen & Prgest. positive, no cancer in my nodes. The only thing I can offer that is helping me a little is knowing someone who was on Tamoxifen for 5 yrs, she has been done for over 5yrs now, and said time does go by faster then you think.

Thanks Pinkpower. I have
    Thanks Pinkpower. I have also only been on Arimidex for 2 weeks but I swear that I'm not imaging the moods. Thanks for your response. Every post helps and I await more!
    God Bless
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options

Thanks Pinkpower. I have
    Thanks Pinkpower. I have also only been on Arimidex for 2 weeks but I swear that I'm not imaging the moods. Thanks for your response. Every post helps and I await more!
    God Bless

I know how you feel
    I am also supposed to start tamoxifen but I have not taken it because I am tested as a poor metabolizer which means it will be virtually ineffective for me....however the onc still gave it to me and said it may or may not work.....not.....I scheduled an appt with a 2nd onc for 7/1 to discuss other options. I was IDC stage 1 or 2....close...my lump was 2.2cm...no nodes,...4 rounds of chemo....which is not as aggressive as yours so you must get a 2nd opinion of what other options you have....did you have a double mastectomy? I don't blame you on not wanting to take any SSRI's....I did some research on that and I know with the tamoxifen, SSRIs are really a no no since they inhibit the tamoxifen and make it less effective. I also have anxiety but am finding out that my body does not metabolize that well either...that is why the 2 I have tried did not work....as a matter of fact, they made me feel worse. It is a very difficult decision but I am contemplating having a mastectomy on the other side just to reduce my chances of recurrence since I am not going to take the tamoxifen. I will talk to the onc also about this on 7/1. What I have also done is changed my diet entirely to also keep from getting a recurrence....that is one thing I disagree with the onc...they don't support the fact that diet plays an important role in life after bc and from what I have researched, it most certainly does. I do not understand why they cannot give us this info along with doing the chemo...I believe our best chances of survival are doing both. I eat/don't eat the following: no surgar....feeds cancer cells, no dairy products...instead I drink almond milk, take vitamin D3...cancer fighter, drink only unsweetened green tea...cancer fighter, no lunch meats....have sodium nitrates that cause cancer, whole grain whole wheat bread, asparagus and brocolli...cancer fighters, only eat meat and only organic chicken with no hormones or steriods twice a week, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries...cancer fighters, drink filtered water in steel container. so in essence, I stay away from fatty processed foods and eat mostly fruits and vegetables. You can treat yourself every now and then to your favorite foods but for the most part I am sticking to this diet. I hope this helps.
    Lorrie
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Wanda
    I just posted something similar to this. Im think im havin mood swings and dont know whats causing it and i started tomaxifen almost 2 months ago. If it is the tamoxifen then i dont know if i can handle that for 5 years either. I want to ask my doctor about it but im afraid she will just give me more drugs. Isnt BC fun!!
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    Balentine said:

I know how you feel
    I am also supposed to start tamoxifen but I have not taken it because I am tested as a poor metabolizer which means it will be virtually ineffective for me....however the onc still gave it to me and said it may or may not work.....not.....I scheduled an appt with a 2nd onc for 7/1 to discuss other options. I was IDC stage 1 or 2....close...my lump was 2.2cm...no nodes,...4 rounds of chemo....which is not as aggressive as yours so you must get a 2nd opinion of what other options you have....did you have a double mastectomy? I don't blame you on not wanting to take any SSRI's....I did some research on that and I know with the tamoxifen, SSRIs are really a no no since they inhibit the tamoxifen and make it less effective. I also have anxiety but am finding out that my body does not metabolize that well either...that is why the 2 I have tried did not work....as a matter of fact, they made me feel worse. It is a very difficult decision but I am contemplating having a mastectomy on the other side just to reduce my chances of recurrence since I am not going to take the tamoxifen. I will talk to the onc also about this on 7/1. What I have also done is changed my diet entirely to also keep from getting a recurrence....that is one thing I disagree with the onc...they don't support the fact that diet plays an important role in life after bc and from what I have researched, it most certainly does. I do not understand why they cannot give us this info along with doing the chemo...I believe our best chances of survival are doing both. I eat/don't eat the following: no surgar....feeds cancer cells, no dairy products...instead I drink almond milk, take vitamin D3...cancer fighter, drink only unsweetened green tea...cancer fighter, no lunch meats....have sodium nitrates that cause cancer, whole grain whole wheat bread, asparagus and brocolli...cancer fighters, only eat meat and only organic chicken with no hormones or steriods twice a week, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries...cancer fighters, drink filtered water in steel container. so in essence, I stay away from fatty processed foods and eat mostly fruits and vegetables. You can treat yourself every now and then to your favorite foods but for the most part I am sticking to this diet. I hope this helps.
    Lorrie

Lorrie, I couldn't agree with you more.
    DIET is #1! and I was lucky that I found an onc. who actually insisted on it! She says my plate should be 80% fruit and veges and only 20% meats/fish. I honestly feel this has made my battle much easier. I feel so strong! Sugar is used (according to my sister) in the meds they give to FIND cancer cells because it feeds off of sugar. So I'm moving to honey.
    Milk/egg/meat should all be hormone free. Filtered water! You got it, girl! We will be the guinea pigs on this!

I am taking armimidex, too. So far no problems.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm really not a drug pusher
    but I so often say on this board that I think antidepressants can be very helpful. I know it goes against the grain, but when anyone is having such life-changing effects, Effexor or whatever is worth a try, in my opinion. Wanda, in order to give the Arimidex a chance to keep fighting your cancer, you have to be able to hang in there and keep taking it. It's making you miserable, so adding a medication that can help you stick with the Arimidex seems like a reasonable step to me.

I haven't started Tamoxifen yet, but I've read on here that the side effects get better in time for some women. An antidepressant could help you get to that point, then maybe you wouldn't take it anymore.

With love and respect and wishing you the best, CL
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Balentine said:

I know how you feel
    Lorrie

diet is important
    My radiation dr. does believe that diet is important. When my husband was diagnosed at age 48 with prostate cancer he said he believed that all the process foods are part of the problem. He believes you should buy fruits, vegetables and meat and make it your self. He has told me use olive oil, take fish oil, eat berries, nuts, low fat meats and eat green veggies to help with healing. On my way out of his office he said have some broccolli. I have always tried to eat healthy, but when you get busy it is easy to turn to packaged foods. Foods that are healthy for you also cost a lot more so if you are low on cash it is hard to make your food budget stretch when you eat healthy. I am doing my best to read labels. It is amazing how much soy is in everything these days. He said we should make our own foods like our great grand parents use to. My great-grandma was from Tenn. and they liked to fry everything, but she lived to be 100. My grandmother is in her 90's and ate a lot of fried foods. She use to can her own fruits and veggies. So, my goal is to do my best to make my own food.

rm2111
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Wanda
    I just posted something similar to this. Im think im havin mood swings and dont know whats causing it and i started tomaxifen almost 2 months ago. If it is the tamoxifen then i dont know if i can handle that for 5 years either. I want to ask my doctor about it but im afraid she will just give me more drugs. Isnt BC fun!!

These drugs are targeted
    These drugs are targeted therapy, for your specific cancer. How would you feel if you didnt take it and you got it back? I have heard these drugs wreak havoc with moods, tam makes me a bit weepy, but it would be worse if I didnt take lexapro. try taking an SSRI and see if your moods even out. Also the dietary advice is sound too. Do everything in your arseanal beat this. I HATE taking meds as well. but I cant handle what another med does to me, its not a weakness on my part so I have to take something else to help with that. Cancer was not my choice how I fight it is.
  • carkris
    Options

but I so often say on this board that I think antidepressants can be very helpful. I know it goes against the grain, but when anyone is having such life-changing effects, Effexor or whatever is worth a try, in my opinion. Wanda, in order to give the Arimidex a chance to keep fighting your cancer, you have to be able to hang in there and keep taking it. It's making you miserable, so adding a medication that can help you stick with the Arimidex seems like a reasonable step to me.

I haven't started Tamoxifen yet, but I've read on here that the side effects get better in time for some women. An antidepressant could help you get to that point, then maybe you wouldn't take it anymore.

CL we posted essentially the
    CL we posted essentially the same thoughts at the same time
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Hi Wanda - I will have been
    Hi Wanda - I will have been on Arimidex for two years in September and have really struggled with everything you have described. I would LOVE not to need to take it, but since it makes such a significant difference in my chances of survival, I have decided to take and then use every other tool at my disposal to make this survival one of peace and joy. Life has gotten better for me. One of the tools available is some kind of antidepressant. Life style changes also help. Spirtituality, however you define it, is another help. There's counseling...there's yoga....

Whatever decision you make, it will be the RIGHT one for you. You have NO need to apologize on this site. We're here to open our hearts, share, and help each other. xoxoxox Lynn
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Hi Wanda - I will have been
    Hi Wanda - I will have been on Arimidex for two years in September and have really struggled with everything you have described. I would LOVE not to need to take it, but since it makes such a significant difference in my chances of survival, I have decided to take and then use every other tool at my disposal to make this survival one of peace and joy. Life has gotten better for me. One of the tools available is some kind of antidepressant. Life style changes also help. Spirtituality, however you define it, is another help. There's counseling...there's yoga....

Whatever decision you make, it will be the RIGHT one for you. You have NO need to apologize on this site. We're here to open our hearts, share, and help each other. xoxoxox Lynn

Wanda .. the majority of us have walked in your shoes ...
    for various reasons:

Chemo, drug therapy or life style changes, appearance changes - difficulty with partners during our treatments or children. We do not WHINE, we VENT. No one story or feelings are excluded from the "stupid", foolish, obtuse, senseless,idotic, illogical - life altering disease called - Breast Cancer.

Best of Luck to you ALL .. KUDOS for surviving another DAY in our walk as PINK Warriors.

VickiSam
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Wanda
    Hi,I am in the same boat as you.I am on toxifene now.I couldn,t take armidex.It made my joints hurt so horibly bad.I could barley use my hands.And with both I have Insomia and mood swings.Like you the only time after Cancer I felt like my self was when I wasn,t taking any of them.Five years is a long time to be this misserable.But we don,t want a reacurrance of cancer either.I am going to keep trying.Hopefully it will even out for us soon.good luck. Ppurdin.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Wanda
    Hi,I am in the same boat as you.I am on toxifene now.I couldn,t take armidex.It made my joints hurt so horibly bad.I could barley use my hands.And with both I have Insomia and mood swings.Like you the only time after Cancer I felt like my self was when I wasn,t taking any of them.Five years is a long time to be this misserable.But we don,t want a reacurrance of cancer either.I am going to keep trying.Hopefully it will even out for us soon.good luck. Ppurdin.

Thanks to all of you who
    Thanks to all of you who have responded. I still don't know what to do yet. I used to like "me" and am so afraid of changing my personality with SSRI's. But I guess it's already changed with this Arimidex.
    I'll fight the urge to stop for a while longer.
    Bless all of you.
  • carkris
    Options

Thanks to all of you who
    Thanks to all of you who have responded. I still don't know what to do yet. I used to like "me" and am so afraid of changing my personality with SSRI's. But I guess it's already changed with this Arimidex.
    I'll fight the urge to stop for a while longer.
    Bless all of you.

the lexapro actually didnt
    the lexapro actually didnt change my personality, it made me think more logically without the emotions in the way. my life is actually better because I am not constantly fighting the effects of hormonal shifts or meds. so I have more energy. I feel normally emotionally too, it doesnt shut off your feelings either. also lots of docs give SSRIs routinely, a sense of well being improves your immune system. trust me I did not like it either than when I did it it was "why did I wait so long and this one little low dose med makes such a difference" you could try iit and if you dont like it go off, its worth it to try and be less miserable.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Wanda
    Like you, I was reluctant to take any additional medications. Before bc, I rarely took even aspirin.

After starting Tamoxifen, I began to get hot flashes so severe that the vitamin E my doctor had recommended at first just wasn't having any real effect. I finally talked to my doctor about Effexor and decided to give it a try. I'm taking a very low dose, and it has helped my hot flashes immensly. I read up about it and discussed the possible side effects with my doctor, and am now glad I decided to give it a try. I know that what you're experiencing is different that what I was dealing with, but I would encourage you to at least leave the door open enough to discuss it with you doctor to see if it would help you. As you said, you're really not yourself now, and you don't want to stop taking Arimidex if it could help you to beat this beast once and for all.

I know it's not easy, but remember that you do have choices, and that we're all here as your sounding board and virtual support group.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Wanda
    Like you, I was reluctant to take any additional medications. Before bc, I rarely took even aspirin.

After starting Tamoxifen, I began to get hot flashes so severe that the vitamin E my doctor had recommended at first just wasn't having any real effect. I finally talked to my doctor about Effexor and decided to give it a try. I'm taking a very low dose, and it has helped my hot flashes immensly. I read up about it and discussed the possible side effects with my doctor, and am now glad I decided to give it a try. I know that what you're experiencing is different that what I was dealing with, but I would encourage you to at least leave the door open enough to discuss it with you doctor to see if it would help you. As you said, you're really not yourself now, and you don't want to stop taking Arimidex if it could help you to beat this beast once and for all.

I know it's not easy, but remember that you do have choices, and that we're all here as your sounding board and virtual support group.

Take care,
    Cindy

Taking a serious risk
    We all do not want to take additional drugs. Best advices are already given to you. We all struggling with hormonal therapy and trying to find mitigation for its side effects. Antidepressants, yoga, holistic approach herbs. You need to try minimize side effects instead of just stopping your medications. Being survivor from stage IIIC myself I do not understand that you are willing to take a risk.

Good luck
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Thanks Pinkpower. I have
    God Bless

I'm not on Arimidex, but, I
    I'm not on Arimidex, but, I just want to wish you good luck with whatever you might try next and I hope it is better for you.

Looks like you have already been given a lot of good advice!

Sue :)
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options

Taking a serious risk
    We all do not want to take additional drugs. Best advices are already given to you. We all struggling with hormonal therapy and trying to find mitigation for its side effects. Antidepressants, yoga, holistic approach herbs. You need to try minimize side effects instead of just stopping your medications. Being survivor from stage IIIC myself I do not understand that you are willing to take a risk.

Good luck

New Flower
    Thanks for that! I needed to be yelled at! LOL Just kidding.
    You are right, I shouldn't take the risk but I have always thought that once I beat it, I beat it. Now I see that I'm wrong. Sometimes I'm in denial and just want to feel good again but I will take something like I was told. Thanks to all of you. A few days ago I wouldn't have liked your post, New Flower, but that's why this site is so good for me. Today is the day that I read it, and today is the day that I needed to hear it.
    God does work through all of us!
    Bless you all,
    Wanda
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

I don't take
    I don't take antidepressants, never needed to, but, sometimes there comes a time when some might need them for a little while. Please talk to your oncologist about your feelings. He might put you on something, at least for a little while.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

New Flower
    Thanks for that! I needed to be yelled at! LOL Just kidding.
    You are right, I shouldn't take the risk but I have always thought that once I beat it, I beat it. Now I see that I'm wrong. Sometimes I'm in denial and just want to feel good again but I will take something like I was told. Thanks to all of you. A few days ago I wouldn't have liked your post, New Flower, but that's why this site is so good for me. Today is the day that I read it, and today is the day that I needed to hear it.
    God does work through all of us!
    Bless you all,
    Wanda

Wanda
    I am glad that you got the message.
    Please talk to your oncologist and explain your problem,
    Hugs