What's in your name?

Comments

• Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    My younger brother could not
    My younger brother could not say Melinda. It came out Menda. He was killed in a car wreck
    in 1988. On memory of him my grand-daughter is going to call me that. Only a handful of very close friends and family call me that.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Popular like Mary
    My name Ayse (it's turkish) and friend who's french always gave me hard time about
    how hard my name is. I told her it is a very common and popular name in turkey like
    Mary. That's when she started calling me Ayse-Mari

There you have it... now it is REEEAALLLY common!

Ayse
  • starseed
    starseed Member Posts: 62
    linpsu said:

linpsu
    My name is Linda and I am a proud graduate of Penn State University.

PSU
    Hey!! Go Lions
    1975!
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    aysemari said:

Popular like Mary
    My name Ayse (it's turkish) and friend who's french always gave me hard time about
    how hard my name is. I told her it is a very common and popular name in turkey like

Ayse

my name
    my name is teresa and i was 41 when diagnosed the first time.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    another great idea from one of our own
    I love the stories behind the names!
    Mine is that I am my cats toy, to be beat up, jumped on, sat on, tripped up, etc.
    I have also been called Cat by my husband for almost 35 years now. It started in high school as Cat Eyes (blue like my siamese), and it kind of stuck when I used go to some natural hot springs in our area and the only thing I wore was a hat from the CAT big machinery company. Even the people I didn't know would call me Cat.
    Lost that hat hitch hiking up the Cajon Pass, and really missed it.
    My real name is Vicki.
    thanks for starting this thread
    Cat
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    cats_toy said:

another great idea from one of our own
    I love the stories behind the names!
    Mine is that I am my cats toy, to be beat up, jumped on, sat on, tripped up, etc.
    I have also been called Cat by my husband for almost 35 years now. It started in high school as Cat Eyes (blue like my siamese), and it kind of stuck when I used go to some natural hot springs in our area and the only thing I wore was a hat from the CAT big machinery company. Even the people I didn't know would call me Cat.
    Lost that hat hitch hiking up the Cajon Pass, and really missed it.
    My real name is Vicki.
    thanks for starting this thread
    Cat

LOL Cat!
    I love these stories...I bet you did miss that hat Vicki!!! but i bet no one else was looking at your head. Ha Ha..love it!

Rjjj is simply the first letter of my name Jackie and my childrens Ryan, Jamie, and Jase.

Hugs,Jackie
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    rjjj said:

LOL Cat!
    I love these stories...I bet you did miss that hat Vicki!!! but i bet no one else was looking at your head. Ha Ha..love it!

Rjjj is simply the first letter of my name Jackie and my childrens Ryan, Jamie, and Jase.

Hugs,Jackie

Jackie
    I forgot to mention, that is where I met my hubby, and how...wearing nothing but my CAT hat.
    lol

Cat
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Moving it up because -
    Missing a few - how about it Moopy & Aortus?

Sue
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Greyhoundluvr
    My daughter had told me about one of her patients whose cancer had recurred and she was going to have to move in with her daughter. She was especially traumatized because she was going to have to give away her dog. The receptionist in my daughter's office has a bunch of dogs at home but offered to take this one in and give it a loving home. The lady sent her pet to the spa to be bathed and trimmed and her new owners picked her up from there. It broke my heart and I said that if I ever went through something like that (this was a couple of months before my diagnosis), I would want my dog curled up by my side. That story just popped into my head when I signed up - and my dog is still by my side.....

Chris

No creativity here, my name
    No creativity here, my name is Megan. I love reading how others got theirs!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    What's in your name?
    Thanks MyTurnNow for this. It was fun reading all the stories behind the choosen screen names. I choose PinkPower, for obvious reasons, I was already a fan of pink my whole life then now surviving breast cancer. My actual name is Lupe
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Pinkpower said:

What's in your name?
    Thanks MyTurnNow for this. It was fun reading all the stories behind the choosen screen names. I choose PinkPower, for obvious reasons, I was already a fan of pink my whole life then now surviving breast cancer. My actual name is Lupe

Call me Miss Boring .. actually I was in shock and
    disbelief when I was diagnosised with breast cancer .. 8/14/09.. Joined our sisterhood here on ACS - 8/15/09 .. no time to think of anything spicy or fun .. numb and walking into walks those first few days.

I chose VickiSam .. because my last name is Russian .. and very long - Samaduroff - everyone at work could never spell it correctly -- true story .. so I went by VSam or Vicki Sam.

My nickname is KiKi .. everyone close to me, calls me Kiki - a pet name my dad give me when I was a baby! He has been dead for 16 years.

Vicki Sam AKA KiKi
    109339 Member Posts: 10
    my name
    Hi,
    My real name is Michele. I choose the number above because I am a real estate broker and this is the number that has been assigned to me and something I can easily remember. I'm an 11 year survivor but my insides were never the same since Cytoxin and Adreamyocin. I had my hip replaced, shoulder rotator cuff surgery, lymphedema, shingles, 3 reconstructive breast surgeries, a staff infection. Something new each year. I was a healthy gym going 43 year old. Now I'm a 54 year old that's happy to be a survivor.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    109339 said:

my name
    Hi,
    My real name is Michele. I choose the number above because I am a real estate broker and this is the number that has been assigned to me and something I can easily remember. I'm an 11 year survivor but my insides were never the same since Cytoxin and Adreamyocin. I had my hip replaced, shoulder rotator cuff surgery, lymphedema, shingles, 3 reconstructive breast surgeries, a staff infection. Something new each year. I was a healthy gym going 43 year old. Now I'm a 54 year old that's happy to be a survivor.

What's in your name?
    Hello,
    My Wonderful family gave me the nick name Weazer, after Shirley McClian in the movie Steel Magnolias.
    Take care Karie
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Fun thread!
    mimivac was the first part of the very first email account I had (other than my college email) back in the old days when email was cool and new. My boyfriend and I (now my husband) had foolishly decided to take all our money one summer and go down and live in Miami Beach. There we set up an email account to communicate with friends and family. So, the "mimi" is for Miami and the "vac" is for vacation. It was our Miami vacation. We thought it was OK to spend every cent we had doing what we wanted. Like, if we had $200 in the bank, it meant we could stay at a $200 a night hotel for one night! I sometimes miss that innocent, happy-go-lucky time.

Mimi
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    mimivac said:

Fun thread!
    mimivac was the first part of the very first email account I had (other than my college email) back in the old days when email was cool and new. My boyfriend and I (now my husband) had foolishly decided to take all our money one summer and go down and live in Miami Beach. There we set up an email account to communicate with friends and family. So, the "mimi" is for Miami and the "vac" is for vacation. It was our Miami vacation. We thought it was OK to spend every cent we had doing what we wanted. Like, if we had $200 in the bank, it meant we could stay at a $200 a night hotel for one night! I sometimes miss that innocent, happy-go-lucky time.

Mimi

Mimi
    I love your story. I am sure it was s great vacation time.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    VickiSam said:

Call me Miss Boring .. actually I was in shock and
    disbelief when I was diagnosised with breast cancer .. 8/14/09.. Joined our sisterhood here on ACS - 8/15/09 .. no time to think of anything spicy or fun .. numb and walking into walks those first few days.

I chose VickiSam .. because my last name is Russian .. and very long - Samaduroff - everyone at work could never spell it correctly -- true story .. so I went by VSam or Vicki Sam.

My nickname is KiKi .. everyone close to me, calls me Kiki - a pet name my dad give me when I was a baby! He has been dead for 16 years.

Vicki Sam AKA KiKi

Привет Виктория
    Самодуров трудно не только писать но и произносить.
  • mimivac
    aysemari said:

Popular like Mary

Ayse

Ayse,
    Hi, I'm Turkish, too. Born in Istanbul; immigrated to the U.S. in 1979. My mom's middle name is Ayse.
  • mimivac
    ladyg said:

This probably sounds weird
    This probably sounds weird but when I picked my name I was still pretty much in shock and was thinking about the yellow lab I lost to cancer. Her name was Lady and the g is my first initial for Georgia

Lady Gaga!
    LOL. This what I thought, too!

Mimi
  • mimivac

Shocker!!~~
    I have green eyes!
    But my name is Melanie~

Melanie!
    It's really nice to see you again! Hope you're doing well.

Mimi
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    DH - Dear Hubby - Hubby
    I sort of joined not as me, but as the husband and I wasn't that comfortable using a name until Tracy got me to post it (although she is the only one who hasn't called me Bob yet in a responce). Normally I use either "manicbob" (which is kind of what happens to me; I'm either up or down- Higher highs; lower lows) or "undertoad" which is from The World According to Garp.

To Vicky Sam/Kiki: Samaduroff sounds like a shortened "Ellis Island" name; shouldn't it be Samaduroffsky or something like that; I'm half Russian :)

To ChenHeart; so literally, your name would mean "small heart", but seems to mean exactly the opposite since you seem to have one of the biggest hearts on this board!