coughing after radiation is over

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was finished 5 weeks ago. About a week now I've had a phlegmy cough, like lung congestion, just a few times a day. Not bad, I'm just aware of it. Is it related to radiation treatment?

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    oh, please, I hope not
    I just finished three weeks ago. Don't want to know things can go wrong afterwards?:

I hope you just have a cold type cough, nothing more.

Take care,
    Victoria
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    aisling8 said:

oh, please, I hope not
    I just finished three weeks ago. Don't want to know things can go wrong afterwards?:

I hope you just have a cold type cough, nothing more.

Take care,
    Victoria

I would check it out if it
    I would check it out if it continues.Better safe then sorry.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    It's very possible. I have a
    It's very possible. I have a bit of a cough and some burning sensations in my chest. I'm not sick and just finished rads a week ago Tuesday. I think so many of these things are all related and we just hang in there and gradually heal.
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    natly15 said:

It's very possible. I have a
    It's very possible. I have a bit of a cough and some burning sensations in my chest. I'm not sick and just finished rads a week ago Tuesday. I think so many of these things are all related and we just hang in there and gradually heal.

I had a phlemy cough that
    I had a phlemy cough that started the week before I finished rads. I've been finished almost a week and it's better. The doc said mine was most likely from treatment as it does happen. I had no fever, etc.
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    I'm just starting...
    I start radiation on Monday 6/28. I will have the partial-breast radiation 2x/day for 5 days. I'm curious to see what the side-effects are for this compared to the 6 week treatment. It's nice to know what to look for, though.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    JuJuBeez said:

I'm just starting...
    I start radiation on Monday 6/28. I will have the partial-breast radiation 2x/day for 5 days. I'm curious to see what the side-effects are for this compared to the 6 week treatment. It's nice to know what to look for, though.

I never had this Laurissa
    I never had this Laurissa after my rads. Have you talked to your rads oncologist or oncologist? They need to know. Hope it goes away soon!

Sue :)
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    I'd Mention to Your Onc.
    I never coughed, Larissa, but my rad. onc. and medical onc. both asked me to let them know if I had any coughing/shortness of breath symptoms. There is a risk for a kind of radiation-induced pnemonia(forgot the name) for several months after rads. Most of the time it is not treated and will go away on it own, but sometimes steroids are given.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Thanks
    Today I haven't had the cough, so maybe its clearing up. I have no shortness of breath at all. I've been picking up limbs for 4 days-tree fell during a storm. Its so good to get your strength back and be able to do things!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    laurissa said:

Thanks
    Today I haven't had the cough, so maybe its clearing up. I have no shortness of breath at all. I've been picking up limbs for 4 days-tree fell during a storm. Its so good to get your strength back and be able to do things!

Picking Up After Storm
    Glad that you haven't been coughing anymore and no shortness of breath. Picking up tree limbs--wow, you definitely have more energy than I do. Good for you!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Moopy23 said:

Picking Up After Storm
    Glad that you haven't been coughing anymore and no shortness of breath. Picking up tree limbs--wow, you definitely have more energy than I do. Good for you!

♥ Laurissa ♥
    Laurissa, I developed a horrible cough during rads and almost lost my voice totally. I was really having to almost scream, just to get my words out. I thought it was something to do with the rads, but, my rads oncologist said it couldn't be. However, he gave me a prescription for Pred/Nystat/Diphen Susp and it worked really quick. They call it Swish and Swallow. It is what they give to throat cancer patients. They warned me how horrible it tasted, and, man were they right! YUCK! But, within a few days, my throat had totally cleared up. If yours doesn't, you might ask your rads oncologist about it. Good luck sweetie and it is so good to see your pretty face again!</♥</font>

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    laurissa said:

Thanks

Hoping the cough is gone now
    Hoping the cough is gone now for you Laurissa! Glad you have strength back!

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Ritzy said:

Hoping the cough is gone now
    Hoping the cough is gone now for you Laurissa! Glad you have strength back!

I never had the coughing or
    I never had the coughing or anything. Are you better now?
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    laurissa said:

Thanks

Happy you are feeling better
    Happy you are feeling better and able to do so much Laurissa! If you get the cough again and shortness of breath, be sure and contact your rads oncologist!
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    check with Rad ONC
    SOB (shortness of breath) and cough were two symptoms they asked about every week during my recent Rad treatment. They told me to call the nurse if they developed in the month after completion. I finished rad in mid June, no cough or SOB. Since you are still technically, cooking for a few weeks. Give them a call especially if the SOB continues.
    Hugs, K
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Moopy23 said:

I'd Mention to Your Onc.
    I never coughed, Larissa, but my rad. onc. and medical onc. both asked me to let them know if I had any coughing/shortness of breath symptoms. There is a risk for a kind of radiation-induced pnemonia(forgot the name) for several months after rads. Most of the time it is not treated and will go away on it own, but sometimes steroids are given.

I didn't have this either,
    I didn't have this either, but like Moopy, my rads oncologist and my oncologist told me to contact them right away if I had these symptoms. Call yours and let them know Laurissa.
  • Funny you should mention that...
    My radiology oncologist mentioned that is a distinct possibility at the end of radiation when I meant him on Friday and said if that should occur see him...it's OK. He said it's a bothersome cough, but frequently people go see their internist or allergist and it's something simple that they will handle should it arise.

May I be so bold as to suggest that you get thee to the oncologist.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Funny you should mention that...
    My radiology oncologist mentioned that is a distinct possibility at the end of radiation when I meant him on Friday and said if that should occur see him...it's OK. He said it's a bothersome cough, but frequently people go see their internist or allergist and it's something simple that they will handle should it arise.

May I be so bold as to suggest that you get thee to the oncologist.

I didn't have this either, but, you should let your doctors know.

Good luck!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Angie2U said:

I didn't have this either, but, you should let your doctors know.

Good luck!

I was glad to read your
    I was glad to read your coughing went away Laurissa. Maybe it was just sinus's or a lil cold or something. If it happens again though, contact your rads oncologist!

Lex♥