Peter is in hospice

13»

Comments

• tabur
    tabur Member Posts: 71
    Peter
    We are so very grateful for the trials info you shared with us. Pam is recovering from the TACE procedure she had two days ago and I cannot bring myself to share this post with her. If you are close to JH, then Georgetown should also be relatively close. Let me know if you need a contact. If western medicine has nothing for you, then I'd encourage you to listen to John, he is a very diplomatic ambassador for alternative medicines. I hope you find a way. Bless you.

Al
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    I'm so sorry
    Peter,

I am so sorry to hear your liver function is so bad that you can't do the trial. I hope hospice keeps you comfortable, and that you do consider nontraditional medicine during this time. Even if it doesn't bring a cure, it may help you be more comfortable.

You've been an incredible inspiration to so many people here. You've found clinical trials to try and have shared those options so that others might benefit. You've shown so much grace and dignity at all times - even when it had to be rough for you.

I don't know how you are feeling right now, so I can't say "keep fighting" if you've hit that point where you've had enough in this world. I know there are a lot of people who care, and would really like to see you continue the fight. I am one of them. But I've also watched my grandfather and uncle hit the point where they'd had enough, and it was ultimately their decision in the end. If you do feel like continuing the fight, I hope you consider trying alternative medicine. Whatever you decide, I'm glad that you seem to be at peace with what may come.
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member

I'm so sorry
    Peter,

I am so sorry to hear your liver function is so bad that you can't do the trial. I hope hospice keeps you comfortable, and that you do consider nontraditional medicine during this time. Even if it doesn't bring a cure, it may help you be more comfortable.

You've been an incredible inspiration to so many people here. You've found clinical trials to try and have shared those options so that others might benefit. You've shown so much grace and dignity at all times - even when it had to be rough for you.

I don't know how you are feeling right now, so I can't say "keep fighting" if you've hit that point where you've had enough in this world. I know there are a lot of people who care, and would really like to see you continue the fight. I am one of them. But I've also watched my grandfather and uncle hit the point where they'd had enough, and it was ultimately their decision in the end. If you do feel like continuing the fight, I hope you consider trying alternative medicine. Whatever you decide, I'm glad that you seem to be at peace with what may come.

Peter.... Don't Quit!
    I'm with John23 and the others...... go anywhere and everywhere and try the alternatives.... What you got to lose????? Don't just take the word of the people now treating you... THEY quit on you....move on...It ain't over til it's over. We all love you here... You are family... Please....Please try something else.... we will all meet soon enough in the next life.... I want to meet you in THIS life. Keep us posted Peter!

Jennie
  • bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    So sorry
    Sorry to hear your news. I am glad you are at peace with the news, I don't think I'll take it that well when it comes my time.

Debbie in Arkansas
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209
    bdee said:

So sorry
    Sorry to hear your news. I am glad you are at peace with the news, I don't think I'll take it that well when it comes my time.

Debbie in Arkansas

Peter,
    I am so disappointed

Peter,

I am so disappointed to hear your news. I really appreciated all of the information that you sent me when I asked you about John Hopkins. I am praying for you. No one knows what is going to happen to them tomorrow. I tell myself that every day. We all need to live for today. I pray that you are peacfull, happy and enjoying life. As many others have mentioned there might be other things that can help you. Love, Brenda
  • peterhw
    peterhw Member Posts: 69
    John23 said:

Peter -

Only one other poster has said what I'm about to say, and
    even that person didn't say it quite like this:

DON'T GO.

No, I don't know your full story, all I know is that you said that
    "Hopkins" said you're all done; that they have nothing else to help you.

So what? Get another opinion, and another, and another...
    There are other physicians and other things to try. And don't call
    it quits just because western medicine might be calling it quits.

Chemotherapy damages everything, and it's tough to take. I don't
    blame you for feeling like you've had enough of the torture. But
    there are alternatives that are worth trying, and some have had
    wonderful results; one may give you life that no other will.

The alternatives to western medicine do not cause you to suffer,
    or cause your body to break down. You can try the alternatives
    while taking pain medications if needed.

Hospice will not give you life, it will only make dying more
    "comfortable" by the administering of drugs that keep one's mind
    too muddled to know the importance of trying to stay alive.

I read this thread every day, two, three times a day... and I just
    could not sit quiet a minute longer.

Before you give up living, try the alternatives. If you can give up
    life, you certainly can give up the belief that western medicine is the
    -only- thing that can keep you alive.......

You've already proven that it can not.

Give yourself another chance at it. Try other options.

Please.

Hoping for your better health.........

John

Thank you John
    I really appreciate your encouragement. I did contact a TCM Dr.. He was here two days ago to read my pulse and so on. He seems to think my situation is not that bad, so he is going to work with my hospice first to reduce the pain and tight belly problem. We will see what happen down the road. I am also looking into other alternative options. But I won't give up that easily.

Thank you all.

Peter
  • linandtom
    linandtom Member Posts: 67
    peterhw said:

Thank you John
    I really appreciate your encouragement. I did contact a TCM Dr.. He was here two days ago to read my pulse and so on. He seems to think my situation is not that bad, so he is going to work with my hospice first to reduce the pain and tight belly problem. We will see what happen down the road. I am also looking into other alternative options. But I won't give up that easily.

Thank you all.

Peter

Yes!
    Good to hear Peter.....I knew you would not give up easily!! Think of this as a little break while this Dr works with you on coming up with something. In the meantime - keep all your options open and do your research. Hope you've had a good day and can enjoy the weekend. Blessings to you today and always.
  • Sandi1
    Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
    I am so sorry
    Peter, I am so sorry to hear of your situation. You and I kind of entered this chat site around the same time. You had the same diagnoses as my husband. I am sorry that your treatments and clinical trials did not work for you, hopefully they gained you more years with your family than if you hadn't tried. All I can say is, keep fighting - I know from experience that fighting and hoping can create miracles - maybe you will have one. But for now, I will say so long, not goodbye, it is never goodbye. Peace to you and your family, my husband and I will be praying for you and your family.
    Sandi
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    peterhw said:

Thank you John

Thank you all.

Peter

peter!! gosh I am glad to
    peter!! gosh I am glad to see your picture and read your words! carry on my friend, carry on
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    peterhw said:

Thank you John

Thank you all.

Peter

Way to go Peter!
    I was so happy to see this post. I am really glad you found someone who is helping you. Good luck with this, + I am glad to hear you are looking into other options too.
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    peterhw said:

Thank you John

Thank you all.

Peter

To those that wrote asking - an open letter
    (and thank YOU, Peter!)

Traditional Chinese Medicine

TCM is not some sort of miracle cure for what ails you, it is only
    a science that is based on the concept that the body is capable
    of curing itself when the body is working the way it should.

The science uses herbs and/or acupuncture, along with diet,
    to help the body attain the health it needs to fix itself.

It has been used for thousands of years exclusively, and also
    in combination with more modern medical sciences.

It is used alone against cancer, and as an adjuvant to western
    medicine cancer medications. It's also used to lessen the side
    effects of chemotherapy and radiation.

Do not expect it to "cure cancer", any more than one can
    expect western medicine to "cure cancer"; a cure for cancer
    is not yet a reality, and can not be promised by any medical
    science to date.

What TCM can do, is offer an alternative to damaging drugs
    and chemicals. It can offer a more healthy way to fight an illness,
    since the herbs and acupuncture are not toxic to one's body,
    as modern medicines are.

There are some herbs that are noted to actually be able to kill
    cancer cells without doing damage to normal cells. Those herbs
    should not be used without the consultation of a qualified doctor
    of TCM or a qualified herbalist, since they can have toxic results
    if used improperly.

I am providing some URLs to some web sites that carry information
    regarding TCM. There are many more than the ones listed, and there
    may be better ones, as well. But these should provide some basic
    information that one can use to base their research upon.

Basics of Traditional Chinese Medicine

Oriental Perspectives On Cancer And Its Treatment

Dosage And Form Of Herbs

Finding a Qualified TCM Doctor

Acupuncturist Search Engine

Traditional Chinese Medicine Health Philosophy

Herbs in Latin Scientific Name

This is a partial list, and data should be weighed to one's common sense.

Traditional Chinese Medicine does not usually offer the "quick results"
    that western medications can provide. Western medicine uses medications
    to only quell the symptoms of a problem, so the results are fast.

TCM attempts to fix the problem causing the symptoms, so the symptoms
    will continue until the real problem is cured.

Chemotherapy is only one option. If chemotherapy works for you, stay
    with it. If it fails you, don't be afraid to try an alternative.

Wishing better health to all!

John

------------
    The herbs I have used are listed at the link provided, but I strongly caution anyone
    considering self-medication:

Do not use herbs without consultation with a qualified doctor of TCM or a qualified Herbalist.

The herbs used in TCM are not garden variety, they are medicinal strength and
    as powerful as laboratory produced chemicals. Use caution; use professional guidance.

Link: http://csn.cancer.org/node/183225
    -----------

Stay well.

John
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    peterhw said:

Thank you John

Thank you all.

Peter

Peter
    Incredible news from the TCM doctor! That is wonderful. I am so happy for you and do keep us posted.
    Hugs and Prayers,
    Marie