I'm home from hospital

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I came home yesterday afternoon after having bilateral mastectomies. My sentinel lymph node tested negative. Yah! I was prepared for the worse and am actually doing quite well. I spent more time in recovery (6-7hrs)than my surgery (4hrs). My oxygen level wasn't stable. I was up and walking less than 24 hrs. I still take occasional morphine but am careful because of nausea. The drains are easy to take care of. I bought a camisole and the drains fit right inside velcro pockets. My only discomfort is a pinching feeling where the drains are, the tightness of the corsetlike sports bra the surgeon put on me and an occasional pinch in the center of my chest. I am able to raise my arm though. I think it's because preop I talked with the drs and had my arms comfortably to my side. Because of my shoulder issues they were very accomodating:)

I see my surgeon next Tuesday. Hopefully the drains will be removed. I have my list of questions ready.
Char

Comments

• Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    Glad you are home and doing
    Glad you are home and doing well. Let others take care of you and try to enjoy being taken care of.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Menda said:

Glad you are home and doing
    Glad you are home and doing well. Let others take care of you and try to enjoy being taken care of.

Hi Char,
    The drains are the worst! I found if I kept guaze behind them on my chest, they didn't irritate so bad when I moved.

Be a princess and let others cook, clean and help you out in emptying the "grenades". I slept in a lazy-boy and it didn't bother the drain as badly.

You sound great and a good attitude (and a sense of humor) really help get you thru all of this and you sound like you have both.

Keep us posted how you are doing...

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Skeezie said:

Hi Char,
    The drains are the worst! I found if I kept guaze behind them on my chest, they didn't irritate so bad when I moved.

Be a princess and let others cook, clean and help you out in emptying the "grenades". I slept in a lazy-boy and it didn't bother the drain as badly.

You sound great and a good attitude (and a sense of humor) really help get you thru all of this and you sound like you have both.

Keep us posted how you are doing...

Hugs, Judy :-)

Hi Char
    Wishing you speedy recovery and easy healing.
    Hugs
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    So glad everything went well
    So glad everything went well for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. enjoy being taken care of and pampered right now. Best wishes your in my prayers Kay
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Hi, Char!
    What wonderful news - it sounds like you were well prepared and are doing great! Congratulations!
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

Hi, Char!
    What wonderful news - it sounds like you were well prepared and are doing great! Congratulations!

So glad to hear the good news
    Dear Char,
    So glad all went well for you and no lymph node involvement. Where did you get your camisole at? I had to take a piece of ribbon or string and tie my drain up onto the side of my shirt. In the shower it is good to wear a lanier and just tie the drains to that with some string or ribbon. Get some rest, drink plenty of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies....the pain meds tend to cause constipation. God bless!
    Lorrie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Balentine said:

So glad to hear the good news
    Dear Char,
    So glad all went well for you and no lymph node involvement. Where did you get your camisole at? I had to take a piece of ribbon or string and tie my drain up onto the side of my shirt. In the shower it is good to wear a lanier and just tie the drains to that with some string or ribbon. Get some rest, drink plenty of water and eat lots of fruits and veggies....the pain meds tend to cause constipation. God bless!
    Lorrie

Hi Lorrie
    Hi Lorrie, There is a store at my cancer center called the Boutique and it is run by the Hospital Auxiallary. My surgeon gave me a script that I can submit to insurance for 2 of the camisoles. It's covered under durable medical equipment supplies. It's very soft and zips up the front. The pockets for the Jackson Pratt drains are velcroed so I can wear it after the drains are removed. I also have cotton filled bra pads to put into it. Anything to make you feel a bit more feminine:)
    Char
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Hi Char
    Wishing you speedy recovery and easy healing.
    Hugs

Happy you are home now!
    Happy you are home now! Wishing you a fast recovery! Take care!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Welcome home!
    "There's no place like home"... especially if the place you were at was the hospital!

I so glad to read that all went smoothly.

Sometimes the hardest part IS resting and making sure you don't do too much. This can be hard especially when you feel good.

Prayers are with you!

Blessings~
    Sylvia
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Hi, Char!

Glad that your surgery went
    Glad that your surgery went well for you! Now rest and let others wait on you.

Good luck, Leeza
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    sea60 said:

Welcome home!
    "There's no place like home"... especially if the place you were at was the hospital!

I so glad to read that all went smoothly.

Sometimes the hardest part IS resting and making sure you don't do too much. This can be hard especially when you feel good.

Prayers are with you!

Blessings~
    Sylvia

Welcome home Char
    Girl it sounds like you are doing very well!!!!! Keep up the great recovery and come back when you feel up to it to keep all of us informed of this entire process.

My prayers are with you, Love Ronda
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi, Char!

Welcome home! Hoping your
    Welcome home! Hoping your drains come out too!

Congrats!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Welcome home Char
    Girl it sounds like you are doing very well!!!!! Keep up the great recovery and come back when you feel up to it to keep all of us informed of this entire process.

My prayers are with you, Love Ronda

glad you are home and
    glad you are home and recovering!!! I had camisoles also and loved them, also a jacket with pockets. I think the lanyard idea for the shower is good too.!!!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    carkris said:

glad you are home and
    glad you are home and recovering!!! I had camisoles also and loved them, also a jacket with pockets. I think the lanyard idea for the shower is good too.!!!

Happy you are home! We
    Happy you are home! We always feel better in our own home!

Hoping you recover quickly!