Leg Stabbing pain

Options
emclemore
emclemore Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a double mastectomy on May 24th, 2010. I dealt with the tubes, being uncomfortable and surgical pain with no problems. Now I have pain in my thighs, it goes from needle pricks to leg stabbing, it comes and goes and I have not been able to find a reason or more importantly a solution. Pain pills don't work & pain increases if I try to massage the area.
I had a double lung transplant two years ago and that was the reason I had the mastectomy, to avoid radiation near my lungs. My immune system is compromised to avoid rejection so I have to be careful with meds and natural remedies.
Has anyone else dealt with something like this? Any ideas? Elvira

Comments

• linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    pain in legs
    Have you had any chemo prior to your surgery? I am going through chemo now (surgery next month) and am having those same kinds of pain as you describe. I'm assuming it is neuropathy, having been told that was a side effect of chemo. But if you haven't had chemo, I'm not sure; ask your oncologist. Good luck!
  • emclemore
    emclemore Member Posts: 2
    Options
    linpsu said:

pain in legs
    Have you had any chemo prior to your surgery? I am going through chemo now (surgery next month) and am having those same kinds of pain as you describe. I'm assuming it is neuropathy, having been told that was a side effect of chemo. But if you haven't had chemo, I'm not sure; ask your oncologist. Good luck!

Thanks for the response
    I have not received any chemo, that was another request by the transplant team.
    Good luck to you too!!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Elvira -
    I had the same thing but related to my chemo and it is going away now that I am done. I can't think of why those symptoms would be related to your mastectomy but you can get similar symptoms from pressure or inflammation of the nerve roots in the low back. If you have been having this for a while and have to be careful with meds, a call or visit to your doctor to see if diagnostics are needed might be warranted. I hope they are able to take care of this quickly for you!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Elvira -
    I had the same thing but related to my chemo and it is going away now that I am done. I can't think of why those symptoms would be related to your mastectomy but you can get similar symptoms from pressure or inflammation of the nerve roots in the low back. If you have been having this for a while and have to be careful with meds, a call or visit to your doctor to see if diagnostics are needed might be warranted. I hope they are able to take care of this quickly for you!

Elvira .. You are 1 strong Women :))
    Stabbing pains in thighs and ankles .. after my double or bilateral mact"my. My Onc and surgeron felt my pain was due to lack of movement as I was laid up in bed for a few days ..and my chemo treatments.

What I did was very slow stretches .. I moved .. walked around my house and back yard, over and over again. I pushed myself without hurting myself .. it helped releive the pressure and stabbing pains.

One thing I've learned during my Breast Cancer journey, is that I MUST MOVE everyday - even when I HURT. I need to exercise every muscle groups - even when I am laid up in bed. It is a struggle, but worth it.

Best of luck ...

VickiSam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Leg pains
    Leg pains are very uncomfortable, Elvira. I've had a lot of surgery in the past 4 years because of degenerative disc disease caused by osteoarthritis. For the past year I've been dealing with cramps that start in my toes and go all the way to the groin. I've tried drinking tonic water at night at the suggestion of my rheumatologist. It is a form of neuropathy. I just came home from the hospital after having bilateral mastectomies. I haven't had the cramps for a couple of weeks but my legs do hurt. I was told that some chemo chemicals can cause this pain to be worse.

Last summer I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and while taking Teasal Root I would get really sharp pain in my legs while walking or standing. Massage did not help. I just had to let the spasm finish. Currently I have something wrong with my parathyroids which control how your body absorbs calcium into the bones. I'm thinking it's all related. I see an Endocronologist in 2 weeks.

If your pain gets any worse definitely call your dr.
    Char
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Leg pains
    Leg pains are very uncomfortable, Elvira. I've had a lot of surgery in the past 4 years because of degenerative disc disease caused by osteoarthritis. For the past year I've been dealing with cramps that start in my toes and go all the way to the groin. I've tried drinking tonic water at night at the suggestion of my rheumatologist. It is a form of neuropathy. I just came home from the hospital after having bilateral mastectomies. I haven't had the cramps for a couple of weeks but my legs do hurt. I was told that some chemo chemicals can cause this pain to be worse.

Last summer I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and while taking Teasal Root I would get really sharp pain in my legs while walking or standing. Massage did not help. I just had to let the spasm finish. Currently I have something wrong with my parathyroids which control how your body absorbs calcium into the bones. I'm thinking it's all related. I see an Endocronologist in 2 weeks.

If your pain gets any worse definitely call your dr.
    Char

Blood clots?
    Please check with your doctor. I hope I am wrong,just an idea.
    Hugs
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Blood clots?
    Please check with your doctor. I hope I am wrong,just an idea.
    Hugs

I so agree with New Flower.
    I so agree with New Flower. Please contact your oncologist and let him know about this.

Let us know what you find out.

Hugs, Angie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Angie2U said:

I so agree with New Flower.
    I so agree with New Flower. Please contact your oncologist and let him know about this.

Let us know what you find out.

Hugs, Angie

This post might help
    This post might help mssunshine!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

This post might help
    This post might help mssunshine!

Always check with your
    Always check with your doctor, no matter what the pain you are having. I had/have leg pain. I was told it was not from chemo. After months of this I had a MRI and it turns out it was coming from my back. I use a pillow under my knee at night and that helps some.