Biopsy failure!

vchildbeloved
vchildbeloved Member Posts: 133
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I went in today for the biopsy of my right breast because of some calcifications. As it turned out, the spots were so far back in the breast that the normal biopsy machine was not able to get to the area. They tried every angle they could until finally they had to call the doctor in and tell him. Now they are saying that I need another procedure which calls for surgery and the inserting of a metal wire. The staff present said that they had only seen 1 other case like that. Has this happened to any one of you, and what is the other procedure that they may use? The doctor present said that it may not work, and if that is the case, then 2 options; a mastcetomy, which he would not pursue, or for me to just come for a mammogram every 6 months. They were a little stunned, and I cannot tell you how I felt.

Help me out someone!

Valerie

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Excisional biopsy
    Oh, Valerie -- I'm so sorry the biopsy didn't go smoothly, and that you're having to deal with even more decisions and procedures!

My calcifications were very deep as well -- before my biopsy, the radiology tech sat me down and told me they might not be able to get to them with the stereotactic biopsy. What happens then is what they're describing to you, what's called an excisional or surgical biopsy, which is really the same thing as having a lumpectomy.

I have a co-worker who had the same thing happen to her, and she instead asked for an MRI -- you might discuss that with your doctor.

If it were me, I would go ahead and meet with the surgeon, get his opinion as well, and base my decision on how likely both the radiologist and the surgeon think it is that what they're seeing on your mammography films is cancer or normal calcifications.

Just remember you're not going through this alone -- we're here, and will help you however we can.

Traci
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    I had a similar experience
    Hi Valerie. So sorry you are having to go through this. I was diagnosed in Nov. '09. I too had calcifications at 5 o'clock on the left side right up against the chest wall. So deep, in fact, they were missed at my regular June '09 mammo. The first regular stereotatic biopsy failed because of how deep they were and they then did a biopsy using MRI--which did accomplish getting adequate tissue. I can't say it was pleasant, but it's short and tolerable and I'm no tough girl when it comes to needles, pain. I also had the localization wires placed before surgery to determine the margins of the disease--again, not pleasant, but tolerable. Mine turned out to be Stage III invasive ductal ca with 10 out of 23 lymph nodes positive at surgery. Everyone is totally different and don't think this will be your situation--but, if it were me, I'd certainly want to find out ASAP what is going on--Just to have peace of mind.

Good luck to you. I'm sending positive energy, prayers and hugs your way. Please keep me posted--I care.

Renee
  • vchildbeloved
    vchildbeloved Member Posts: 133
    missrenee said:

I had a similar experience
    Hi Valerie. So sorry you are having to go through this. I was diagnosed in Nov. '09. I too had calcifications at 5 o'clock on the left side right up against the chest wall. So deep, in fact, they were missed at my regular June '09 mammo. The first regular stereotatic biopsy failed because of how deep they were and they then did a biopsy using MRI--which did accomplish getting adequate tissue. I can't say it was pleasant, but it's short and tolerable and I'm no tough girl when it comes to needles, pain. I also had the localization wires placed before surgery to determine the margins of the disease--again, not pleasant, but tolerable. Mine turned out to be Stage III invasive ductal ca with 10 out of 23 lymph nodes positive at surgery. Everyone is totally different and don't think this will be your situation--but, if it were me, I'd certainly want to find out ASAP what is going on--Just to have peace of mind.

Good luck to you. I'm sending positive energy, prayers and hugs your way. Please keep me posted--I care.

Renee

Thank you ladies so much.
    Thank you ladies so much. It's funny how you seem to get more comfort speaking here than with the medical professionals. I will definitely keep you informed.

Much peace to you all,

Valerie
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member

Thank you ladies so much.
    Thank you ladies so much. It's funny how you seem to get more comfort speaking here than with the medical professionals. I will definitely keep you informed.

Much peace to you all,

Valerie

Hi Valerie,
    The only kind of biopsy I have ever had was a surgical excisional biopsy/lumpectomy with a wire localization that goes right into the area affected. The surgeon then follows the wire down to the area. It's done under IV sedation, I was asleep. The wire localization sounds much worse than it is, I've had it done 3 times. I prefer it to the other types of biopsies because they also do a lumpectomy and the whole thing is removed and sometimes that all there is to do. It's not rare, it's very common. You can google wire localization (use the Mayo Clinic websites) for complete explanation. But again, it sounds worse than it really is.

I am surprised your medical team seems so unknowlegable about this very common procedure. Keep us posted when you are scheduled and the outcome.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    TraciInLA said:

Excisional biopsy
    Oh, Valerie -- I'm so sorry the biopsy didn't go smoothly, and that you're having to deal with even more decisions and procedures!

My calcifications were very deep as well -- before my biopsy, the radiology tech sat me down and told me they might not be able to get to them with the stereotactic biopsy. What happens then is what they're describing to you, what's called an excisional or surgical biopsy, which is really the same thing as having a lumpectomy.

I have a co-worker who had the same thing happen to her, and she instead asked for an MRI -- you might discuss that with your doctor.

If it were me, I would go ahead and meet with the surgeon, get his opinion as well, and base my decision on how likely both the radiologist and the surgeon think it is that what they're seeing on your mammography films is cancer or normal calcifications.

Just remember you're not going through this alone -- we're here, and will help you however we can.

Traci

The only time I had a wire
    The only time I had a wire inserted in me was right before my lumpectomy surgery. They did an ultrasound to guide the tech to insert the wire to show the plastic surgeon where my tumor was. Good luck!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Skeezie said:

Hi Valerie,
    The only kind of biopsy I have ever had was a surgical excisional biopsy/lumpectomy with a wire localization that goes right into the area affected. The surgeon then follows the wire down to the area. It's done under IV sedation, I was asleep. The wire localization sounds much worse than it is, I've had it done 3 times. I prefer it to the other types of biopsies because they also do a lumpectomy and the whole thing is removed and sometimes that all there is to do. It's not rare, it's very common. You can google wire localization (use the Mayo Clinic websites) for complete explanation. But again, it sounds worse than it really is.

I am surprised your medical team seems so unknowlegable about this very common procedure. Keep us posted when you are scheduled and the outcome.

Hugs, Judy :-)

I had what Judy described.
    I had what Judy described. It was done prior to my lumpectomy. I felt nothing as they numbed my breast. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Leeza