Got appt today to get 2nd opinion on tamoxifen and poor metabolizer

Balentine
Balentine Member Posts: 393
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got a call from the nurse today who made me an hour long appt with a 2nd oncologist to discuss my option and questions regarding the tamoxifen and being a poor metabolizer. It is scheduled for 7/1 so I plan to get all my questions and information together before that.

Just some advice for others just starting their journey....make sure your doctor is testing for this CYP2D6 and if you are a good metabolizer for it so you can make an informed decision if you are advised to do a mastectomy, chemo then tamoxifen like I was. If I had this info before my surgery, I definitely would have opted to have a double mastectomy, but that is just me.
Lorrie

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    So glad you have that
    So glad you have that appointment made Lorrie! Be sure and write all of your questions down on a big tablet to take with you. You can even visit the American Cancer Society site and the Susan B. Komen site to see if there might be some questions on there that you could use too.

Hang in there Lorrie. We are all with you!

Sue :)
  • Balentine
    Ritzy said:

So glad you have that
    So glad you have that appointment made Lorrie! Be sure and write all of your questions down on a big tablet to take with you. You can even visit the American Cancer Society site and the Susan B. Komen site to see if there might be some questions on there that you could use too.

Hang in there Lorrie. We are all with you!

Thanks
    I will have to check out that site also. I just hope they have another option for me. If not, I may be boobless soon if I can get up the nerve to actually follow thru with it.
    Lorrie
  • Ritzy
    Balentine said:

Thanks
    I will have to check out that site also. I just hope they have another option for me. If not, I may be boobless soon if I can get up the nerve to actually follow thru with it.
    Lorrie

I hope that there are more
    I hope that there are more options for you Lorrie. I wish I could be of more help to you. Let us know what your oncologist says.

Take Care,

• Balentine
    Ritzy said:

I hope that there are more
    I hope that there are more options for you Lorrie. I wish I could be of more help to you. Let us know what your oncologist says.

Take Care,

I hope so too Sue
    I am hoping that also but I really have not found anything else that has been as proven as the tamoxifen so I am waiting to hear on 7/1. My husband and I will be traveling to St. Louis on 7/1 right after my appt. and will be back on 7/5 or 7/6. I will take my laptop with me and hope I can get some wifi to let you all know what he says. I just pray God will lead me in what I should do....I guess being boobless is not so bad....less to carry around....it is pretty saggy anyway.....I wonder just how many women elect not to reconstruct. Mmmmm. We shall see what God has planned. God bless.
    Lorrie
  • Ritzy
    Balentine said:

I hope so too Sue
    I am hoping that also but I really have not found anything else that has been as proven as the tamoxifen so I am waiting to hear on 7/1. My husband and I will be traveling to St. Louis on 7/1 right after my appt. and will be back on 7/5 or 7/6. I will take my laptop with me and hope I can get some wifi to let you all know what he says. I just pray God will lead me in what I should do....I guess being boobless is not so bad....less to carry around....it is pretty saggy anyway.....I wonder just how many women elect not to reconstruct. Mmmmm. We shall see what God has planned. God bless.
    Lorrie

Wishing you good news Lorrie
    Wishing you good news Lorrie and a great trip!