So...what's the worst that could happen?

bluwillo
bluwillo Member Posts: 113
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
(Or: Blu says "Hey Cancer, bite THIS!)

So I finished rads at the end of April, after finishing college in the middle of April. Then I began job hunting. Dismal at first, but finally got a great job. (Oh, did I mention I had IDC stage 3? minor detail).

I haven't seen my onc since Feb. It just occurred to me that I maybe should have asked the great and wonderful Oz if it was ok to go to work (I've been a work at home mom for 17 years). This is my first week, and it's grueling and exciting and exhausting....but you know what? No one at my new job knows I have cancer. I think they suspect my hair is a wig (well, a dead squirrel look does kinda give it away!) but they haven't said anything.

So, for 8 hours a day, I'm cancer free! I don't even think about it. I guess our insurance at the new job started the first day of hire, so no worries there. I am concerned about taking time off for the big doc apt., but really, what's he gonna say? So what if he says the treatment didn't work. I am living to the fullest for now, and will deal with the beast if and when it comes back...on my terms.

I"m posting this for those of us who are having trouble seeing down the road, seeing tomorrow, or just seeing the next 5 minutes. Believe me, I was there last July/Aug/Sept, until the mastectomy. I want you to know that you can reclaim your life, you can TOTALLY give cancer the finger...for a while I hope.

OH, yes, and I'm TOTALLY wiped out, but I understand the weekends are great for sleeping. For now, that will have to do. I guess I just got tired of the whole "I"m sick" style....I am SO hitting the gas pedal!

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I love this! Good for you,
    I love this! Good for you, and good luck with your new job. YOU are awesome :)
    -Heather
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

I love this! Good for you,
    I love this! Good for you, and good luck with your new job. YOU are awesome :)
    -Heather

I am so happy, good luck on
    I am so happy, good luck on your new job! i am making plans for my remission, and they sound like yours. I, too, am so tired of being tired and sick. Take care
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    meena1 said:

I am so happy, good luck on
    I am so happy, good luck on your new job! i am making plans for my remission, and they sound like yours. I, too, am so tired of being tired and sick. Take care

You are my HERO!!!!
    I just smiled through that whole read. THANKS and KEEP GIVING IT THE FINGER!!!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Mama G said:

You are my HERO!!!!
    I just smiled through that whole read. THANKS and KEEP GIVING IT THE FINGER!!!

Never stop livin no matter
    Never stop livin no matter what or who, never stop making plans,setting goals, and NEVER stop dreamin and believing in your dreams.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Never stop livin no matter
    Never stop livin no matter what or who, never stop making plans,setting goals, and NEVER stop dreamin and believing in your dreams.

Good luck with your new job!
    Good luck with your new job! The only way cancer can win, is if you let it!

If we fight it with all that we can, live a good life, try to put it out of our minds when we can and trust in God, Life can be very good!

Going thru everything hasn't been easy, but, when I look at what I have and how much I want to be around to enjoy it..I know I have won.

I have the most wonderful husband who adores me, the best family, loads of friends and very supportive coworkers. With all of them, I win again.

Never stop living!

Hugs, Angie
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Isn't 'normal' grand?
    ....even a slice of it!!!

Yea for you!!! You GO, girl!!!

Hugs, Kathi

(I must admit, after reading your title, I was reminded: A very dear friend, also a BC survivor who has a wicked wit, says, when in a new, rather scary situation "What's the worst that can happen? I could get cancer. Oh, I've already done that...no big deal!")
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I LOVE your attitude,
    I LOVE your attitude, Bluwillo. Isn't life after cancer grand? Continue to flourish and keep on living. Soon, you can ditch that "dead squirrel" and sport around in your Jamie Lee Curtis look. You definately have what it takes!!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Before making a decision I
    Before making a decision I think that too. "What's the worse thing can happen?" If I can live with it, I do it.

Good luck with your new job. BTW when I was young and working I wore a wig to work sometimes and a co-worker wore one every day! She had lovely hair but chose to wear the wig.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Bluwillo
    Congratulations on getting the job. I doubt that your oncologist will be upset with you for working - they always say they want us active and I think they are very realistic about pay checks and insurance being good things. I went back to work early after my mastectomy because I could work at home and I found that when I was busy, I wasn't having as much pain orfocusing on all the tings there were to worry about. Enjoy your weekend naps!