I had my Tg Levels taken again

MLG
MLG Member Posts: 52
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
I sent a post awhile ago stating that my thyroglobulin level has always been non-detectable since my surgery, which has been 1 1/2 ago.
Earlier this year, my Tg level came back at 14. I had a body scan and it came back negative.
A couple months after that I had another round of bloodwork done and now it came back at 1.1 and my dr had no idea as to why.
I know a person's lab results can be a little different if you switch labs, which I had to when I had my blood taken when it came back at 14, due to insurance change. I used that same lab for this last bloodwork also. But there shouldn't be a huge difference from previous .02 to 14.
I asked if it could be a lab mistake and he didn't know.
So, right now, only time will tell what my number actually is.
I am to have bloodwork again in Sept. and I am in the process of finding an endocrinologist.
It's not because of this labwork, but because he has no bed side mannor and literally only stays in the room for a minute. When I was asking him questions about my lab numbers he had to go out of the room twice to retreve the rest of my chart to review.
When only wanted to talk about my medicine levels were a little high, until I reminded him that I was mostly there to talk about my elevated (14) Tg level.

Comments

• miladyx
    miladyx Member Posts: 85
    hi MLG
    So the last two tests, when one result was 14 and the last one was 1.1, were both done by the SAME lab using the same method??? if so, such a difference is interesting. on your lab results,for both tests as well the earlier tests when your tg was undetectable, what was the level of your TG antibodies? TG antibodies must be measured each time tg is measured and if they are detectable, they can mess up with your results.
  • miladyx
    miladyx Member Posts: 85
    oh also...
    .....just curious, how long does it take for your tg lab results to come back?
  • MLG
    MLG Member Posts: 52
    miladyx said:

oh also...
    .....just curious, how long does it take for your tg lab results to come back?

After my surgery and my
    After my surgery and my levels were non-detectable they were at one local hospital.
    In Jan. my insurance switched to another local hospital. The first level came back at 14 then the next time, at that same hospital, came back at 1.1

I know about the antibodies. Whenever I ask about my other levels he always says they are fine. So, I don't know if I have any or not. That is why I am looking into another dr. This one just says, "labs are fine."

My lab work usually takes no longer than a week.

Like I said before, time will tell in what my actual level is.
  • butterfly123
    butterfly123 Member Posts: 52
    MLG said:

After my surgery and my
    After my surgery and my levels were non-detectable they were at one local hospital.
    In Jan. my insurance switched to another local hospital. The first level came back at 14 then the next time, at that same hospital, came back at 1.1

I know about the antibodies. Whenever I ask about my other levels he always says they are fine. So, I don't know if I have any or not. That is why I am looking into another dr. This one just says, "labs are fine."

My lab work usually takes no longer than a week.

Like I said before, time will tell in what my actual level is.

MLG
    It sounds like you are making a wise discussion in changing doctors. Hope you find one you like soon. In the meantime, you may want to call that current endos office and obtain a copy of your chart. Not only will you have your history but you'll also know what your Tg antobodies actually are. I think I am like you...I want to know exact numbers, not that everything is fine.

Do you have to wait three months to get the next Tg blood test? I thought that as long as a doctor approved a test then it would be ok (and covered under insurance). The reason your having it is becuase of the previous tests, not just another routine blood test. I've also learned that not all blood labs are the same. My Tg tests are now sent to some lab at USC every time.

Either way a Tg result of 1.1 or 14 calls for further testing. Any elevation while you are on thyroid drugs is usually a sure sign of recurrent thyroid cancer. I have it and my Tg went up to 5 while on thryoid meds (150 while hypo). You're new doc will hopefully give you thyrogen shots or have you go hypo to get a true Tg reading. I'm not sure...were these last Tg tests while you were hypo or on thyroid drugs?

Wishing you the best!!!