So sick from Chemo

natray
natray Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Any advise I have breast cancer and had just completed my 3rd round of Chemo about a week ago. About 3 days aftre the treatment I was back in the hospital with severe weekness and diarrhea..They juiced me up withsome IV fluides and back home I went. Day 1 and 2 started feeling better but days 3,4,5 starting to feel very week and have blood when using the bathroom. Has this happen to anyone and what did you do?

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Blood with #1 or #2?
    with the diarrhea it's very common. As long as it's very red (not DARK) I was told it was ok. That particular part of your body is going through hell right now... Do you have only 1 more round to go? Is it a/c?
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    yes I had very bad diahrea.
    yes I had very bad diahrea. I also had dehyration with my eletrolytes being off. potassium low. I used immodium, took benefiber, tried to drink as much as I could. I got a liter of fluid each treatment which helped. ate a more basic diet. I had bum problems, so you may want to consult a doc before they get out of hand. if I ate too much in the way of rice, I would get constipated. it was a balancing act. what helped the most was finishing chemo. trust me I believed I would never get through and I did. You will too. others will write in and if I remember anything else I will post.
  • natray
    Mama G said:

Blood with #1 or #2?
    with the diarrhea it's very common. As long as it's very red (not DARK) I was told it was ok. That particular part of your body is going through hell right now... Do you have only 1 more round to go? Is it a/c?

This is it they feel that my
    This is it they feel that my body just can't take anymore right now..I am 71 yrs. old. And from what I understand they will start radiation as soon as I am strong enough..Thank you so much for reaching out to me this as been extremly emotional and I have never felt so weak..
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Natray
    I understand

Natray
    I understand completely. I too was in the hospital for weakness and dehyration caused by severe diarrhea. I remember having anxiety after chemo when I had to use the bathroom. It was agonizing. I felt like my insides were dying and coming out. It felt like my insides were going to fall out my rearend. I was so scared. Try immodium, drink pedilyte ( the baby drink) Talk with your dr.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

Natray
    I understand

Natray
    I understand completely. I too was in the hospital for weakness and dehyration caused by severe diarrhea. I remember having anxiety after chemo when I had to use the bathroom. It was agonizing. I felt like my insides were dying and coming out. It felt like my insides were going to fall out my rearend. I was so scared. Try immodium, drink pedilyte ( the baby drink) Talk with your dr.

I would suggest drinking a
    I would suggest drinking a lot of water, maybe a little gatorade. It sounds like you are dehydrated. Are you drinking a lot of water? What are you eating? Try eating some fresh fruit, like blueberries...i love to eat blueberry pancakes.. Strawberries are also an anti cancer food. There are some frozen fruit bars, I think they are by Dole, that are supposed to be good. You can also try applesauce with cinnamon, bananas, orange juice. Homemade soup is very good also, i have a few recipes, let me know if you need one. Peanut butter sandwiches, or peanut butter on apples are good.
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Prescription meds
    I had horrible diarrhea with my Cytoxen/Taxotere cocktail. Immodium didn't do a thing for it. I ended up with a prescription for Lomotil. It didn't take care of it totally but I was least able to leave the bathroom. Maybe ask your doc is he/she will prescribe it for you.

Like others have said, drink lots of fluids. Sorry you're having such a tough time!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Natray -
    So sorry you are having som many problems. I also had to deal with the big D especially after the first round and had some rectal bleeding and a lot of burning from it. I was in for IV fluids twice between round one and two. My oncologist had me take PeptoBismol (not so much to address the diarrhea but to change the pH of the stool which stopped the bleeding and burning - just as an FYI, it will make your stool black and can cause a fuzzy black tongue). Once I started that, the Immodium started working better. I also started eating Activia yogurt a couple of times a day. After that, I would start on the Pepto and Activia a day or two before chemo and it got easier to control. My onc also approved an over the counter acid blocker that I also took before and after chemo. This is what worked for me and it got better each round but be sure to check with your oncologist about whether any of this is appropriate for you. Best wishes and I hope they are able to get this under control for you soon so you will start feeling better!
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

Natray -
    So sorry you are having som many problems. I also had to deal with the big D especially after the first round and had some rectal bleeding and a lot of burning from it. I was in for IV fluids twice between round one and two. My oncologist had me take PeptoBismol (not so much to address the diarrhea but to change the pH of the stool which stopped the bleeding and burning - just as an FYI, it will make your stool black and can cause a fuzzy black tongue). Once I started that, the Immodium started working better. I also started eating Activia yogurt a couple of times a day. After that, I would start on the Pepto and Activia a day or two before chemo and it got easier to control. My onc also approved an over the counter acid blocker that I also took before and after chemo. This is what worked for me and it got better each round but be sure to check with your oncologist about whether any of this is appropriate for you. Best wishes and I hope they are able to get this under control for you soon so you will start feeling better!

All good advice but still call your doctor
    All good advice but to be on the safe side please call your doctor and let them know what is going on and see what they tell you to do.
    Lorrie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Balentine said:

All good advice but still call your doctor
    All good advice but to be on the safe side please call your doctor and let them know what is going on and see what they tell you to do.
    Lorrie

I agreed with Balentine .. All of the above postings
    are good advise .. 71 years of age or 30 years old .. hydrate and please call your doctor as soon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

Please let us know how you are doing :D

Vicki
  • natray
    Mama G said:

Blood with #1 or #2?

Thank you so much... :) It
    Thank you so much... :) It Really helps to know I am not alone...
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    VickiSam said:

I agreed with Balentine .. All of the above postings
    are good advise .. 71 years of age or 30 years old .. hydrate and please call your doctor as soon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

Please let us know how you are doing :D

Vicki

Like pattimac, I too was given an Rx for Lomotil (sp?) for the
    diahrrea. After my second round of C/T I had just horrible bloody diahrrea that I was in the hosp for 4 days. They wouldn't do a colonoscopy because I was so raw but a week after I was home it was done and it was all clear, just from the chemo.

I never left home without a complete change of clothes and Poise Pads became my best friend even weeks after chemo ended. Talk to your onc. there are meds out there to help you and lots of water and Gatorade are great for dehydration but you need to stop the actual diahrrea.

I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    I didn't take chemo natray,
    I didn't take chemo natray, but, I hope that you feel better soon.

There surely is something your oncologist can give you to help. Please ask.

Hugs, Angie