Anyone else feel the earthquake a little while ago??

pattimc
pattimc Member Posts: 431
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm in Michigan and we all felt it in the building in which I work. I thought I was just starting to have the mother of all hot flashes as my chair was shaking! I looked over at my co-worker and she had a weird look on her face! She said she thought she was having a hot flash, too!!

Turns out Canada, Michigan and few other states had a 5.5!!

Comments

• Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Daughter-in-law felt it at
    Daughter-in-law felt it at HFH in West Bloomfield. Ford on Hubbard Drive in Dearborn was evacuated today. I didn't feel it in Livonia, though

Cindy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Snowkitty said:

Daughter-in-law felt it at
    Daughter-in-law felt it at HFH in West Bloomfield. Ford on Hubbard Drive in Dearborn was evacuated today. I didn't feel it in Livonia, though

Cindy

Ontario, Canada
    According to www.usgs.gov there was a 5.5 'quake on Ontario/Quebed border a bit over an hour ago. It isn't showing anything in your area.
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Rague said:

Ontario, Canada
    According to www.usgs.gov there was a 5.5 'quake on Ontario/Quebed border a bit over an hour ago. It isn't showing anything in your area.

Adrian, MI
    I'm in Adrian, MI (west of Detroit and just north of Toledo) and we def felt it. Doubt it was as strong as 5.5 here so maybe that's why it's not showing up. Nice afternoon distraction!
  • 4slurpee
    4slurpee Member Posts: 41
    felt it here too

I am in Rochester, MI and yes I felt my chair swaying left and right. Thought it was an earthquake . . . no way, then looked up WDIV news a 1/2 hour later and yes it was an earthquake. Never felt one before, to feel the earth shake is a weird feeling.
  • Rague
    pattimc said:

Adrian, MI
    I'm in Adrian, MI (west of Detroit and just north of Toledo) and we def felt it. Doubt it was as strong as 5.5 here so maybe that's why it's not showing up. Nice afternoon distraction!

Tath site shows them as low
    Tath site shows them as low as 1.0 which basically only instruments can 'feel'.
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    4slurpee said:

felt it here too

I am in Rochester, MI and yes I felt my chair swaying left and right. Thought it was an earthquake . . . no way, then looked up WDIV news a 1/2 hour later and yes it was an earthquake. Never felt one before, to feel the earth shake is a weird feeling.

Wow. I can't believe you all felt an earthquake. I thought they were only in California.
  • Rague
    Sally5 said:

Wow. I can't believe you all felt an earthquake. I thought they were only in California.

They are all over the country!
    Go to www.usgs.gov and scroll down a short way and you will see a map of the USA (one of the world next to it too) and click on the USA map. It will show you all the 'quakes in the country for the last week. red ones are within the hour, blue - the day and yellow - the week. Click on the area you want to see and it will take you in closer and then to the exact 'quake you want info on.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Sally5 said:

Faults are all over. Just
    Faults are all over. Just some aren't active very much. The ones in the midwest tend to be felt over more distance.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    My parents live in Michigan. I'm calling my mom now.

Mimi
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    mimivac said:

My parents live in Michigan. I'm calling my mom now.

Mimi

Wow
    Not to discount that earthquakes could be bad..... It is so nice to all chat about something else.
    (Not the C - word).

You have all helped restore my sanity. Only found this (CSN) site 5 days ago.

I live in California and earthquakes are almost normal for us.

*Mimi: Hope your mom is okay (in Michigan).
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Some relatives in Cleveland
    Some relatives in Cleveland & Columbus, Ohio area also felt it.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    natly15 said:

Some relatives in Cleveland
    Some relatives in Cleveland & Columbus, Ohio area also felt it.

I felt it in Syracuse, NY.
    I felt it in Syracuse, NY. It felt like the windows were going to break. We all realized that we don't know what we're supposed to do when there's an earthquake. I'll keep the snow: at least we know what to do with that!

Joyce
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    jk1952 said:

I felt it in Syracuse, NY.
    I felt it in Syracuse, NY. It felt like the windows were going to break. We all realized that we don't know what we're supposed to do when there's an earthquake. I'll keep the snow: at least we know what to do with that!

Joyce

I'm in Syracuse, too!
    I work in North Syracuse and it's not uncommon for the planes to be really loud overhead. But since it was raining, I thought it couldn't be the planes, must be thunder. Then when everything kept shaking, I thought "Crap, I hope it's not a tornado". I'm originall from central Illinois, so anytime the weather is screwy, I still get into 'tornado mode'. I was wishing we had a bathtub at work to hide in! ha ha! (of course everyone up here thinks I'm crazy when I say we would hide in the bathtub when a tornado was coming...)