Tailorx Trial?

TulsaMomof3
TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
whent to the Oncologist. He recommended the TailorX trial. Anyone on it? What did the select you for as far as treatment?

Comments

• Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    All my doctors were pushing
    All my doctors were pushing the TailorX trail pretty hard, and I considered the TailorX, but decided I didn't want to be randomized to or from chemo as an option. I want to use all the weapons in the arsenal against the cancer recurring. With the 18 score my doctor told me I had a one in 8 chance of recurrence somewhere else in my body. That's the same odds as a woman getting breast cancer, so I thought--No Way!

I had 1.8 cm tumor, ER+ PR+ HER2-, no lymph nodes involved IDC with an OncotypeDX score of 18. After much agonizing I had decided on bilateral mastectomy and then decided to go whole hog and get chemo. I have my first treatment Monday.
  • TulsaMomof3

All my doctors were pushing
    All my doctors were pushing the TailorX trail pretty hard, and I considered the TailorX, but decided I didn't want to be randomized to or from chemo as an option. I want to use all the weapons in the arsenal against the cancer recurring. With the 18 score my doctor told me I had a one in 8 chance of recurrence somewhere else in my body. That's the same odds as a woman getting breast cancer, so I thought--No Way!

I had 1.8 cm tumor, ER+ PR+ HER2-, no lymph nodes involved IDC with an OncotypeDX score of 18. After much agonizing I had decided on bilateral mastectomy and then decided to go whole hog and get chemo. I have my first treatment Monday.

My score was only a 12 but I
    My score was only a 12 but I didn't feel comfortable either way. So I figured this way, what is meant to be will be. He really was leaning towards no Chemo but felt comfortable with this
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

My score was only a 12 but I
    My score was only a 12 but I didn't feel comfortable either way. So I figured this way, what is meant to be will be. He really was leaning towards no Chemo but felt comfortable with this

what is this study?

what is this study?
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    carkris said:

what is this study?

what is this study?

Isn't this where you might
    Isn't this where you might be getting the treatment and there again, might not? You aren't supposed to know. I could be wrong. Guess I should google it.
  • TulsaMomof3
    DebbyM said:

Isn't this where you might
    Isn't this where you might be getting the treatment and there again, might not? You aren't supposed to know. I could be wrong. Guess I should google it.

Yes, My doctor said that he
    Yes, My doctor said that he personally does not think I need Chemo. But in the TailerX clinical trial you are randomly selected for either Chemo + Tamoxifen or just Tamoxifen. You have a 50/50 shot at either treatment. I was not comfortable just completely agreeing with no Chemo. But for some reason I felt comfortable with this plus the research will help women in the future with early stage breast cancer. He said if i was selected for Chemo it would be 4 of AC 1 every 3 weeks
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234

Yes, My doctor said that he
    Yes, My doctor said that he personally does not think I need Chemo. But in the TailerX clinical trial you are randomly selected for either Chemo + Tamoxifen or just Tamoxifen. You have a 50/50 shot at either treatment. I was not comfortable just completely agreeing with no Chemo. But for some reason I felt comfortable with this plus the research will help women in the future with early stage breast cancer. He said if i was selected for Chemo it would be 4 of AC 1 every 3 weeks

TaylorX
    I am in this study...I think it is great because it will be very helpful for future bc patients.....I was selected to do chemo....One more to go......You also get radiation in this study.....It was a very difficult decision for me because I didnt feel comfortable with or without chemo....So like you I felt like the decision was meant to be and liked the idea of helping future bc women not have to make this decision {in the gray area]...
  • TulsaMomof3
    waffle8 said:

TaylorX
    I am in this study...I think it is great because it will be very helpful for future bc patients.....I was selected to do chemo....One more to go......You also get radiation in this study.....It was a very difficult decision for me because I didnt feel comfortable with or without chemo....So like you I felt like the decision was meant to be and liked the idea of helping future bc women not have to make this decision {in the gray area]...

Yes that is exactly why it
    Yes that is exactly why it appealed to me! I am glad some one understands! How soon after you where registered was it till you had your first Chemo?
    ( Of course I don't know which treatment I would get yet)
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234

Yes that is exactly why it
    Yes that is exactly why it appealed to me! I am glad some one understands! How soon after you where registered was it till you had your first Chemo?
    ( Of course I don't know which treatment I would get yet)

It was less then a week....
    It was less then a week.... But I waited over a month to actually sign the papers for the study...It was very hard for me to decide I can't even put it in words....
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    waffle8 said:

TaylorX

Good luck to you waffle in
    Good luck to you waffle in this trial study! And, thanks for helping all of us.

Hugs, Jan
  • mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155

Good luck to you waffle in
    Good luck to you waffle in this trial study! And, thanks for helping all of us.

Hugs, Jan

tailorX
    I chose to be in the study also, to help other women, but after receiving my oncotype score, of 8, I fell out of the study! I had a lumpectomy, with Radiation. Followed by tamoxifen for 5 years.
  • TulsaMomof3

tailorX
    I chose to be in the study also, to help other women, but after receiving my oncotype score, of 8, I fell out of the study! I had a lumpectomy, with Radiation. Followed by tamoxifen for 5 years.

My main reason in also
    My main reason in also choosing it is to help future women. I am also a firm beliver in everything happens for a reason - So which ever flip of the coin I get.. is what is meant to be
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

My main reason in also
    My main reason in also choosing it is to help future women. I am also a firm beliver in everything happens for a reason - So which ever flip of the coin I get.. is what is meant to be

Wishing you good luck in
    Wishing you good luck in this trial TulsaMom!

Hugs, Diane