aw c'mon- give me a break!

heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
as recommended by you ladies when i broke out with sores in my mouth after the latest chemo, i started using biotene. worked like a charm, mouth feeling almost normal. so why am i whining today? i have that yucky, soapy-dish-waterish taste in my mouth!

now that i could actually eat something, everything tastes awful!

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    this too will pass....
    at least it doesn't taste like gasoline! That's how I felt. Even WATER!!! Try some frozen yogurt, fruit flavored! or apple pieces. or banana. Those were the few things I could stand to eat.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Some things did change taste
    Some things did change taste but others were fine. I liked fried rice from a restaurant. For some reason it helped my stomach too. Crackers also.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Marcia527 said:

Some things did change taste
    Some things did change taste but others were fine. I liked fried rice from a restaurant. For some reason it helped my stomach too. Crackers also.

Use baking soda to brush your teeth
    I used biotene toothpaste then also sprinkles some baking soda on it when I brushed my teeth and then used biotene mouth wash. After the 2nd chemo I did not have to do it anymore but I was brushing my teeth like this 3 times a day after each meal. I hope this helps.
    Lorrie
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    My taste buds came back a
    My taste buds came back a few days after chemo. I ate a lot of chix noodle soup. Yogurt probably tasted the best and orange jello. Fruit Punch G2 Gatorade.

Hugs

Donna
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member

My taste buds came back a
    My taste buds came back a few days after chemo. I ate a lot of chix noodle soup. Yogurt probably tasted the best and orange jello. Fruit Punch G2 Gatorade.

Hugs

Donna

The bad taste was bothersome
    The bad taste was bothersome to me also. I used Biotene products and the baking soda rinse and never got mouth sores. As Donna says your tastebuds return to normal a few days after finishing chemo. Hang in There !!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    NEVER would I suggest that
    NEVER would I suggest that cancer is a punishment for anything...none of us has ever done anything to deserve the Beast. But, and forgive my brattiness, but all I could think of when you described the taste in your mouth was my mom saying she would wash my mouth out with soap if I didn't stop saying Bad Words. So...is it possible that this isn't chemo related at all, but your Bad Words as a child coming back to be washed out?!LOL LOL
    If only, huh?!

I know you will get good advice from the Kindred Spirits here on the boards, we are an Army of knowledge! And I'm glad the Biotene worked for you! I will be starting chemo agian soon, and I am storing away all of the tips I read here in case this time around affects me differently than the last time!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    chenheart said:

NEVER would I suggest that cancer is a punishment for anything...none of us has ever done anything to deserve the Beast. But, and forgive my brattiness, but all I could think of when you described the taste in your mouth was my mom saying she would wash my mouth out with soap if I didn't stop saying Bad Words. So...is it possible that this isn't chemo related at all, but your Bad Words as a child coming back to be washed out?!LOL LOL
    If only, huh?!

I know you will get good advice from the Kindred Spirits here on the boards, we are an Army of knowledge! And I'm glad the Biotene worked for you! I will be starting chemo agian soon, and I am storing away all of the tips I read here in case this time around affects me differently than the last time!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I lost all desire to eat,
    I lost all desire to eat, but lost 70 pounds (the hard way). you will find the things you like, and agree with you . keep hydrated
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    chenheart said:

If only, huh?!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I agree with BlownAway .. I lost 37 lbs and my
    taste buds for months. A few days a week, I was able to taste food again and took full advantage of it! haha.. This changed the longer into chemotherapy I went.

I was addicted to frozen yogurt -- and prime rib, rib eye or t-bone. No hamburgers or chicken passed my lips for 6 months. I did try to get protein in other foods .. some time it worked, other times food just came back up. Speical K cereal with milk was okay .. no taste as was soup. I found foods that I could eat in the beginning of chemo, were the same foods that I could not digest in the middle or end of chemo. My good friend and sister in PINK, Miss Bella Luna stated that ginger helped her get tea's and food down to keep her body nurished durning chemo.

Once your taste buds return after chemo .. so comes back the weight .. I have gained back about 18 lbs in 5 months. I am now working with my good friends at Weight Watchers in an attemp to lost those 18 lbs again.. SUCKY ..

VickiSam
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    VickiSam said:

taste buds for months. A few days a week, I was able to taste food again and took full advantage of it! haha.. This changed the longer into chemotherapy I went.

I was addicted to frozen yogurt -- and prime rib, rib eye or t-bone. No hamburgers or chicken passed my lips for 6 months. I did try to get protein in other foods .. some time it worked, other times food just came back up. Speical K cereal with milk was okay .. no taste as was soup. I found foods that I could eat in the beginning of chemo, were the same foods that I could not digest in the middle or end of chemo. My good friend and sister in PINK, Miss Bella Luna stated that ginger helped her get tea's and food down to keep her body nurished durning chemo.

Once your taste buds return after chemo .. so comes back the weight .. I have gained back about 18 lbs in 5 months. I am now working with my good friends at Weight Watchers in an attemp to lost those 18 lbs again.. SUCKY ..

VickiSam

Lots of good advice here for
    Lots of good advice here for you Heidi. Wishing you good luck!

Hugs, Debby
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Food
    To this day I can not stand the taste of Angus Beef and I know as soon as I chew on a piece that it is Angus. Try fruit smoothies.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    VickiSam said:

VickiSam

Hoping your taste comes back
    Hoping your taste comes back soon!

Hang in there,

Jan