Itching Problem

padee6339
padee6339 Member Posts: 763
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. For the past couple of months, the breast where I had the lumpectomy has been itching in and around the nipple area. My oncologist says its all the nerves reattaching and healing from the surgery, but my surgery was over a year and a half ago. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, under the breast by the top of my ribs I get horrendous cramps. The other night I got into my car and when I put my bag on the seat next to me the cramp hit. It was like a knife stabbing pain. I had to sit there and smile at people walking past to the store but when they were gone I yelled out loud with pain. This has happened many times before and I have assumed its leftover from the radiation in that area. Both my oncologist and radiation oncologist said it was a healing symptom from the nerves that were damaged in the surgery. Has this happened to anyone else, or should I pursue it further with these doctors.
Pat

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    ME TOO BUT...
    I just had surgery 5/26. I knew the itching was part of the healing process The stinging sensation is the nerves regenerating. The muscle cramps I have just assumed is from working the muscles.

I am still swollen and stiff and have been told that will take 6 to 8 weeks to go away.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

ME TOO BUT...
    I just had surgery 5/26. I knew the itching was part of the healing process The stinging sensation is the nerves regenerating. The muscle cramps I have just assumed is from working the muscles.

I am still swollen and stiff and have been told that will take 6 to 8 weeks to go away.

I am sure that part of the
    I am sure that part of the feeling is just the nerves regenerating. I am not sure what the pain would be from. Hope you get some relief.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I have had itching off and
    I have had itching off and on at my mastectomy and reconstruction sites although both areas are pretty numb otherwise. When it is bad, I rub the itchy areas quickly back and forth with a dry terry wash rag. It really helps
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    I too have had itching on
    I too have had itching on the affected side--I have a lot of skin allergies anyway, but they are pretty much controlled by medication. When it gets too bad, I use cortizone cream from the drugstore. I asked onc about it, but he did not seem too concerned.

I have had lots of pain on the affected side also--bad enough to send me to emergency room. Rads onc seems to think it is "soft tissue damage." It has eased up considerably over time.
    Hope yours does, too.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

I have had itching off and
    I have had itching off and on at my mastectomy and reconstruction sites although both areas are pretty numb otherwise. When it is bad, I rub the itchy areas quickly back and forth with a dry terry wash rag. It really helps

You are probably just still
    You are probably just still healing Pat. I had strange feelings a couple of months after my lumpectomy and my plastic surgeon said that is what it was. Never had any itching except during rads for awhile.