Jobs

Menda
Menda Member Posts: 128
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I work in a very small vet hospital. I know that it will be a couple of months at least before I am able to do my job at 100 percent. I plan on going back asap to answer phones and do paperwork. Here is my delima, My husband has a 1 week seminar at a beach resort in September and I want to go with him. After the year I have had the thought of laying on a beach by myself with a good book ............. Oooohhhh......... Any suggestions on how to approach this ?

Comments

• Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Need more info
    Dear Menda,
    I looked at your profile and no info. Did you just have surgery? Are you currently doing chemo or rads, etc.? I think it would be great for you to go to the beach but I would not recommend it if you are undergoing therapy. Chemo and rads are draining and laying in the sun would drain you even more. My opinion only. I would ask your doctor before you plan anything.
    Lorrie
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Beach and sun
    As wonderful as that sounds, and certainly don't be afraid to ask your employer, but ask your doctor first. Depending on how long ago you finished treatment, you can be WAAAAAAY more susceptible to the sun. During chemo I was out one day for about 20 minutes and now, over a year later, still can see the scarring on my arms from the sun.
    If you do go, please take us all with you in spirit and enjoy.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Beach and sun
    As wonderful as that sounds, and certainly don't be afraid to ask your employer, but ask your doctor first. Depending on how long ago you finished treatment, you can be WAAAAAAY more susceptible to the sun. During chemo I was out one day for about 20 minutes and now, over a year later, still can see the scarring on my arms from the sun.
    If you do go, please take us all with you in spirit and enjoy.

Have you had radiation? If
    Have you had radiation? If so, and it was recent, you shouldn't be in the sun.

I think you also burn pretty easily if you are on chemo.

Just use sunblock and be careful.

Have a good trip if you go!
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    DianeBC said:

Have you had radiation? If
    Have you had radiation? If so, and it was recent, you shouldn't be in the sun.

I think you also burn pretty easily if you are on chemo.

Just use sunblock and be careful.

Have a good trip if you go!

I am scheduled for a double
    I am scheduled for a double mastecomy July 8th. I do not have bc but have had more punch biopsies than I care to count over the last 12 years. Everything will be tested during surgery since my risk is soo high. How do I tell my boss I need time off for that, go back to work for a short period of time and then go to the beach for a week ? This is not responsible. But sunrise, sunset walks on the beach, a little spa time and most important quiet time away from everything with my husband.