A question about rad boosts please

ladyg
ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am making great progress with my rads. I have 11 more to go. I know the last 8 are the boosts. I was wondering if they cause more skin burning in the spot that is getting the boost. I am quite burnt now and just want to know what to be prepared for. Thanks to all for all of the advise you give on this site. It has been a great help to me through all of this.

Hugs

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Boosters
    Hi, ladyg -

Boosters (you probably already know this) are targeted to the tumor site(s). For me, by the time I got to the boosters, I was very red and tender all over, but was burning really badly under my arms, which, thankfully, were not part of the booster field, so those areas could start to heal while I was getting boosters.

Boosters definitely allow you to start healing in the other areas they're not targeting -- and I didn't notice that they caused any worse burning than the regular radiation. Everyone is different, of course -- that was just my experience.

I'm so glad to hear you're almost done -- keep using your lotions/creams liberally and often, and soon those daily trips to radiation will be behind you!

Traci
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Boosters
    Hi, ladyg -

Boosters (you probably already know this) are targeted to the tumor site(s). For me, by the time I got to the boosters, I was very red and tender all over, but was burning really badly under my arms, which, thankfully, were not part of the booster field, so those areas could start to heal while I was getting boosters.

Boosters definitely allow you to start healing in the other areas they're not targeting -- and I didn't notice that they caused any worse burning than the regular radiation. Everyone is different, of course -- that was just my experience.

I'm so glad to hear you're almost done -- keep using your lotions/creams liberally and often, and soon those daily trips to radiation will be behind you!

Traci

Hey!
    Traci explained it very well, as she always does. I never burnt, but, got very dark pink and was tender from the regular rads. When I got boosters, my other skin healed up pretty quick, but, I did get darker pink and more tender from them.

Since you will be getting boosters, you will soon be a Rad Grad and we will all celebrate with you.

And, even after you are done with rads, keep those creams on and be very gentle with your skin as rads are cumulative and you will continue to "cook" for awhile.

Best wishes to you and post when you are done, so, we can give you your cap and gown!

Sue :)
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Ritzy said:

Hey!
    Traci explained it very well, as she always does. I never burnt, but, got very dark pink and was tender from the regular rads. When I got boosters, my other skin healed up pretty quick, but, I did get darker pink and more tender from them.

Since you will be getting boosters, you will soon be a Rad Grad and we will all celebrate with you.

And, even after you are done with rads, keep those creams on and be very gentle with your skin as rads are cumulative and you will continue to "cook" for awhile.

Best wishes to you and post when you are done, so, we can give you your cap and gown!

Don't say "gown," Sue
    Now (and probably for the rest of my life) when I hear the word "gown," all I can think of is "open in the front."

:-) Traci
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Don't say "gown," Sue
    Now (and probably for the rest of my life) when I hear the word "gown," all I can think of is "open in the front."

:-) Traci

K..sorry ( walking away
    K..sorry ( walking away sobbing )

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    TraciInLA said:

Boosters
    Hi, ladyg -

Traci

Thanks for the info Traci. I
    Thanks for the info Traci. I start my boosters next week.

Hugs

Donna
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Thanks for the info Traci. I
    Thanks for the info Traci. I start my boosters next week.

Hugs

Donna

The boosters are given to
    The boosters are given to just the tumor site and a little surrounding tissue. I also got darker pink or red during them. The boosters are a different type of radiation than what you get with the normal radiation. But, the tumor site is where they feel any stray cancer cells might be, so, they want to really deliver as much radiation there as they can. We all vary in the number of treatments that we have. But, you can do it. Don't worry about it. Just know that soon you will be done with rads!

Good luck!
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member

The boosters are given to
    The boosters are given to just the tumor site and a little surrounding tissue. I also got darker pink or red during them. The boosters are a different type of radiation than what you get with the normal radiation. But, the tumor site is where they feel any stray cancer cells might be, so, they want to really deliver as much radiation there as they can. We all vary in the number of treatments that we have. But, you can do it. Don't worry about it. Just know that soon you will be done with rads!

Good luck!

I had the same questions you
    I had the same questions you have about boosts. I don't feel they made me burn any more than the regular rad treatments. I got red all over and noticed some peeling today but have no pain. I still slather on creams as I just finished rads on Fri. Good Luck.
  • hopeful in tally
    hopeful in tally Member Posts: 56
    GayleMc said:

I had the same questions you
    I had the same questions you have about boosts. I don't feel they made me burn any more than the regular rad treatments. I got red all over and noticed some peeling today but have no pain. I still slather on creams as I just finished rads on Fri. Good Luck.

sisters
    Although we are all "sisters" on this journey ... your post really caught my eye. I, too am a Gail and my last name starts with Mc ... and I am currently on my final 4 boosters and will be completed on Friday ... one week from the time you finished!! Congratulations Gayle ... let's keep in touch and share only GOOD results!!!
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member

sisters
    Although we are all "sisters" on this journey ... your post really caught my eye. I, too am a Gail and my last name starts with Mc ... and I am currently on my final 4 boosters and will be completed on Friday ... one week from the time you finished!! Congratulations Gayle ... let's keep in touch and share only GOOD results!!!

Wow Gail, it really is a
    Wow Gail, it really is a small world. Congrats on getting to the end of rads. I really do feel quite well and can't believe it's over. I had 33 treatments and that sounded sooo long, but it goes fast. All the Best.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    boosts
    Glad to hear that you are making good progress through your rad treatment. You are almost there.
    I completed my boosts on June 11. The last week of treatment was the five boosts. They were very short to administer and did not feel different from the other rad treatments except that I was lying on my back in that plaster like cast and not supine as I was during the first part of my treatment. I did get more red during boosts than with the radiation of the other parts of my breast.I did not experience more pain or discomfort. I have been using Aloe gel more often to cool the area than the first weeks of radiation txs. I use my afternoon break at work to apply the Aloe gel. That usually gets me through my work day until I get home to apply more aloe and later more Hydrophor, before bed.
    I still have a red band-like area across the incision area but the rest of the breast is healing very nicely. I did not suffer with blisters but I did have peeling. I continue to use the Hydrophor and Aloe gel. I used Hydrocortisone, as recommended, when I experienced itching in the crease below the breast. That subsided in a week.
    Of course, we are all different in our skin type as well as, the machines that administer our treatments.Reports from two friends who had the same treatment at two different centers, suggest that they too, progressed well through the boosts. It goes by quickly. Get ready to celebrate your rad grad.
    Hugs, K
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    KayNYC said:

boosts
    Glad to hear that you are making good progress through your rad treatment. You are almost there.
    I completed my boosts on June 11. The last week of treatment was the five boosts. They were very short to administer and did not feel different from the other rad treatments except that I was lying on my back in that plaster like cast and not supine as I was during the first part of my treatment. I did get more red during boosts than with the radiation of the other parts of my breast.I did not experience more pain or discomfort. I have been using Aloe gel more often to cool the area than the first weeks of radiation txs. I use my afternoon break at work to apply the Aloe gel. That usually gets me through my work day until I get home to apply more aloe and later more Hydrophor, before bed.
    I still have a red band-like area across the incision area but the rest of the breast is healing very nicely. I did not suffer with blisters but I did have peeling. I continue to use the Hydrophor and Aloe gel. I used Hydrocortisone, as recommended, when I experienced itching in the crease below the breast. That subsided in a week.
    Of course, we are all different in our skin type as well as, the machines that administer our treatments.Reports from two friends who had the same treatment at two different centers, suggest that they too, progressed well through the boosts. It goes by quickly. Get ready to celebrate your rad grad.
    Hugs, K

I also got redder during my
    I also got redder during my boosters, but, they were so quick. I often joked, is this worth my time? At which point, my rads oncologist would frown. LOL

The rest of my skin started healing during the boosts which was nice.

It will go quick. Good luck!

Hugs, Megan
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Megan M said:

I also got redder during my
    I also got redder during my boosters, but, they were so quick. I often joked, is this worth my time? At which point, my rads oncologist would frown. LOL

The rest of my skin started healing during the boosts which was nice.

It will go quick. Good luck!

Hugs, Megan

I have until the end of
    I have until the end of July. Doing very well.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Thank you
    Thank you all for your advise and encouragment. I am looking forward to telling you all that I graduated. I have 1 more "regular" rad and then 8 boosts.

Hugs
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    ladyg said:

Thank you
    Thank you all for your advise and encouragment. I am looking forward to telling you all that I graduated. I have 1 more "regular" rad and then 8 boosts.

Hugs

We are looking forward to
    We are looking forward to your graduation too! The 8 boosts will go super fast for you!

Lex♥