Oh My Gosh is this true.......

2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Once I start the chemo I never have any periods ever again? Oh my word, this is pure joy to hear this? Finally an end to that crap as well......................YAY!!!!!!!

My olders sisters, age 54 and 56 still get there's , I can't wait to tell them..........

Love Ronda,

Comments

• Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    May not be the first few treatments
    Ronda,
    I did not stop getting my period until after the 3rd treatment and yes while it is nice not to get your period anymore, another thorn in your side begins....it is called hot flashes and it is like a pesky fly that just wont leave you alone. I am still trying to find something that will alliviate them but have not found anything yet. I just keep the fan on at night and this helps.
    Lorrie
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    True for me
    Although I did have 1 last period just before my 2nd chemo, I haven't had one since (about 6 months now).

Like you, I was looking forwad to the end of my periods, but have found my joy dampened by hot flashes and dryness issues.

Ah, the joys of womanhood !!!
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

True for me
    Although I did have 1 last period just before my 2nd chemo, I haven't had one since (about 6 months now).

Like you, I was looking forwad to the end of my periods, but have found my joy dampened by hot flashes and dryness issues.

Ah, the joys of womanhood !!!

Hot flashes
    My BC is estrogen positive. I am post-menapausal, so dr put me on Femara, an oral form of chemo. The drug increased the frequency and intensity of the hot flashes I was already experiencing. However, I embrace this as evidence that my cancer is being starved. Gracie
  • Balentine

Hot flashes
    My BC is estrogen positive. I am post-menapausal, so dr put me on Femara, an oral form of chemo. The drug increased the frequency and intensity of the hot flashes I was already experiencing. However, I embrace this as evidence that my cancer is being starved. Gracie

I will remind myself of that
    Wow! Amazing Grace...love your name by the way....I will have to remind myself of that everytime I get a hot flash now....just starving the cancer....mmmmm...good one! :)
    Lorrie
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Hot flashes

Often depends on your age
    My oncologist told me that whether or not chemo puts you into menopause depends a lot on how close in age you already are to your natural menopause. In other words, if you're close to menopause already, chemo may "push you over the edge." If you're young and nowhere near menopause, it's unlikely that it will.

I've also read that the amount of chemo you have can be a factor -- i.e., fewer rounds means menopause less likely.

In my case, I was 40 when I did chemo last year, and did only 4 rounds, so menopause was just a dream for me -- my period stopped during chemo, but came back normal and regular within a few months.

I've also been on Tamoxifen for 7 months, and I know that Tamoxifen stops some women's periods, or makes them less frequent. Nope, not me -- my reproductive system, apparently, is a very determined operation that will not be deterred!

Ronda, I don't remember how old you are, so all of this may not apply to you -- just wanted to throw that out there for any young women who may be reading.

Traci
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member

Hot flashes

Thank you
    Gracie, this is the best comment I've ever heard about how to think of hot flashes. Thanks for putting a positive spin on it. Your good attitude will become another "tool" in my cancer-fighting arsenal.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Don't know
    Can't say - I went through IT at naturally at 44 in 1991. Never had any hot flashes - haven had any on Femara either. But then I never had any Morning Sickness either with my Sons.
  • Balentine
    Rague said:

Don't know
    Can't say - I went through IT at naturally at 44 in 1991. Never had any hot flashes - haven had any on Femara either. But then I never had any Morning Sickness either with my Sons.

Wow aren't you the lucky one
    Rague, That is great that you went through it at such an early age and never had any hot flashes....good for you! That is a blessing.
    Lorrie
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Balentine said:

Rague, That is great that you went through it at such an early age and never had any hot flashes....good for you! That is a blessing.
    Lorrie

Hi Ladies,
    I am 50 Traci, and I won't mind not getting my period, and if I never see it again, then WooHoo, and as one of you put it, I'll think of it as starving those cancer cells.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Balentine said:

Lorrie

Periods
    I had one the day I started my chemo 3/10/09 and one the next month and haven't had one since and hoping it doesn't return. I am 46.
    Hot flashes started the end on March 2009 and haven't quit. A/C is the best and in the winter either standing out on the porch when it is 20 degrees or having a window fan is wonderful.

Margo
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

Periods
    I had one the day I started my chemo 3/10/09 and one the next month and haven't had one since and hoping it doesn't return. I am 46.
    Hot flashes started the end on March 2009 and haven't quit. A/C is the best and in the winter either standing out on the porch when it is 20 degrees or having a window fan is wonderful.

Margo

Feels like summer all year long...LOL
    Save on heating fuel in winter...make everyone else put on sweaters!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Chemo stopped my periods for several months,
    then I had 2 light periods. Have not had 1 since - my GYNO whom I had my yearly visit with several weeks ago .. stated that my blood test showed that I was in pre-menopause which can last several years.

Personally, I think 'OUR' bodies are in shock from the chemotherapy drugs dripped into our veins, so I it may our bodies 6 to 9 months to stabilized after the finish of our chemo.

I do have hot flashes, not everyday .. so maybe I am in menopause, either way .. I am ok -- just keeping a sweather and ice with me - daily.

LOL:

Vicki
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I'm 61 and
    I'm 61 and started perimenopause when I was 45. I've been menopausal since I was 50 and I still get hot flashes! Since my surgery for bilateral mastectomy is Tuesday my chemo won't start for another month. I certainly hope that my hot flashes don't get any worse than they already are!
    Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I'm 61 and
    I'm 61 and started perimenopause when I was 45. I've been menopausal since I was 50 and I still get hot flashes! Since my surgery for bilateral mastectomy is Tuesday my chemo won't start for another month. I certainly hope that my hot flashes don't get any worse than they already are!
    Char

cahjah75 .. I will pray for you, as I did get
    hot flashes - during, and after my chemo treatments.. I too was told last year that I was in perimenopause .. just thought it was a term doctors used to shut you up when one has irregular periods. hummmmm

Vicki
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I was 'lucky'....
    With my first cancer, rectal, part of the surgery was a total hysterectomy. I remember well the day they offered me the hyster as part of the reduction of reocurrance...I was sooooo happy....I HATED my 'monthly cycle'!!! It always caused iron troubles and it was just yucky!!!

BAM! Immediate and total menopause! I had hot flashes and sweats for about 1-2 months, then the only left over was vaginal dryness. But that could also have been from the radiation that treated the rectal tumor. Well, and now that I am minus my Estrogen, I became osteoporotic and so take Actonel to strengthen.

I had none of this return during treatment for the breast cancer.

I am sending you strong, healing vibes!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

From what I have read on
    From what I have read on here, chemo does stop your periods sometimes. But, I know for a few, it came back. Mimi, for one, I think, got her period back. And, I am sure there might be others. Ask your oncologist about this, he can give you more info.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

Hot flashes

Love this m_azingrace,
    Love this m_azingrace, starving the cancer!! I will rem this with the next hot flash! God Bless!
    (((Hugs))) Janice