Radiation side effects and when

ob66
ob66 Member Posts: 227 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Just started radiation therapy (IMRT) post da Vinci surgery (5 down, 33 to go). I know the side effects vary and may or may not (usually may) happen. What I have heard is that most do not have effects until the 20-38 day range. Is this true? And when did you first experience effects, and what are the most common? My guess is our old friend incontinence, followed by GI disturbances, and tiredness, followed by skin irritations, but am interested what happens and then (more importantly) how long does it take for those side effects to go away???? I have been told about 2 months, but am not sure. Much thanks.

Comments

• Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    I am having problems with
    I am having problems with strictures at the opening into the bladder- most like a direcet result of radiation. I have been roto rotored twice now and I am doing self cath as long as the tube is open- but it is painful and difficult to do.

I have had some bowel problems but that is getting better as I move away from radiation. Ended Jan 15. I had some problem with some foods afterwards, too, but that is also less common.

After all that, just lay back and enjoy the experience.
    142 Member Posts: 169
    side effects
    I posted my day-by-day over on Healing Well - Look for Calypso Beacons.
    http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=35&m=1756808
    Treatment completed this week, so I can't speak to time for issues to clear up.

I had some bowel and incontinence worsening by the end of 10 days, but I also have some past colo-rectal issues that may have contributed to the early onset. Also, I was still on a pad a day when I started.

About mid-way through, the fatigue set in seriously, and I am taking naps in the afternoon like I was in the second grade again.

I have not seen any skin irritation.
  • BRONX52
    BRONX52 Member Posts: 156
    OB66
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RADIATION TREATMENT. I JUST FINISHED UP 38 RADIATION TREATMENTS (IMRT). I NEVER REALLY HAD ANY SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS. FREQUENCY AND URGENCY OF URINATION WERE ABOUT THE ONLY ISSUE I HAD. AS DIRECTED I WAS DRINKING ABOUT 4 CUPS OF WATER ABOUT A HALF HOUR PRIOR TO THE ACTUAL TREATMENTS. SUPPOSEDLY A FULL BLADDER MOVES SOME VITAL ORGANS OUT OF THE WAY OF THE TARGET AREAS OF THE RADIATION. AFTER EMPTYING MY BLADDER AFTER THE TREATMENT THE URGENCY WOULD CONTINUE FOR 3-4 HOURS. AFTER THAT, THINGS WERE BACK TO NORMAL. FATIGUE WASN'T AN ISSUE AS I CONTINUED TO DO MY NORMAL ROUTINE FOR THE DURATION OF THE TREATMENTS. A GENTLEMEN WHO WAS UNDERGOING TREATMENT AT THE SAME TIME SAID HE DID START TO FEEL MORE TIRED ABOUT WEEK 5 OF HIS TREATMENTS BUT IT WASN'T ANYTHING THAT HE COULDN'T HANDLE. SOME PEOPLE REPORT DELAYED SIDE EFFECTS FROM RADIATION TREATMENTS. IF I SHOULD EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE POST RADIATION SIDE EFFECTS I'LL LET YOU KNOW. TAKE CARE--DAN
  • Trew
    BRONX52 said:

OB66
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RADIATION TREATMENT. I JUST FINISHED UP 38 RADIATION TREATMENTS (IMRT). I NEVER REALLY HAD ANY SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS. FREQUENCY AND URGENCY OF URINATION WERE ABOUT THE ONLY ISSUE I HAD. AS DIRECTED I WAS DRINKING ABOUT 4 CUPS OF WATER ABOUT A HALF HOUR PRIOR TO THE ACTUAL TREATMENTS. SUPPOSEDLY A FULL BLADDER MOVES SOME VITAL ORGANS OUT OF THE WAY OF THE TARGET AREAS OF THE RADIATION. AFTER EMPTYING MY BLADDER AFTER THE TREATMENT THE URGENCY WOULD CONTINUE FOR 3-4 HOURS. AFTER THAT, THINGS WERE BACK TO NORMAL. FATIGUE WASN'T AN ISSUE AS I CONTINUED TO DO MY NORMAL ROUTINE FOR THE DURATION OF THE TREATMENTS. A GENTLEMEN WHO WAS UNDERGOING TREATMENT AT THE SAME TIME SAID HE DID START TO FEEL MORE TIRED ABOUT WEEK 5 OF HIS TREATMENTS BUT IT WASN'T ANYTHING THAT HE COULDN'T HANDLE. SOME PEOPLE REPORT DELAYED SIDE EFFECTS FROM RADIATION TREATMENTS. IF I SHOULD EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE POST RADIATION SIDE EFFECTS I'LL LET YOU KNOW. TAKE CARE--DAN

I think a full bladder gives
    I think a full bladder gives some protection to bladder tissue by dispersing the radiation. It was something like that I remember hearing at Loma Linda.

I did have a greatly increase in urges to urinate, and incontinence increased somewhat after radiation.

Amazing, you read what other people write and it jogs the memory and say- Hey! I had that too.
  • Trew
    142 said:

side effects
    I posted my day-by-day over on Healing Well - Look for Calypso Beacons.
    http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=35&m=1756808
    Treatment completed this week, so I can't speak to time for issues to clear up.

I had some bowel and incontinence worsening by the end of 10 days, but I also have some past colo-rectal issues that may have contributed to the early onset. Also, I was still on a pad a day when I started.

About mid-way through, the fatigue set in seriously, and I am taking naps in the afternoon like I was in the second grade again.

I have not seen any skin irritation.

half way through rad I was
    half way through rad I was sleeping a lot, but up frequently at night to urinate. I seemed to be always tired and it still continues 5 months later, but that could also be the hormone shot.
  • ob66
    ob66 Member Posts: 227 Member
    BRONX52 said:

OB66

Thank you all for the input
    Thank you all for the input so far. Hope there is more out there. Bronx52---This sounds like what I have heard. The drinking of the 16oz. of water 30 minutes prior by my understanding was to position the abdominal organs down there in a similar fashion each day. My experience with the pre rad loading with water and post rad urgency is similar so far. Again thanks, and Happy Father's Day to all you dads.