Curly or Straight

Lighthouse_7
Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,
I was just wondering if any of you who have hair growing back after being bald would mind sharing the curly or straight question?
Just curious because mine is very curly and was straight before b/c.
Also anyone know of someone who's hair came curly but then changed back to their regular hair?
Thanks,
Wanda

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Mine was curly after chemo
    Mine was curly after chemo and gradually went back to exactly like it was before. Straight.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    I had wavy coarse hair
    I had wavy coarse hair before chemo. I finished with chemo in January and my hair has come back curly! Not sure what will happen in the next several months. I will just have to wait and see. I am just happy my hair is growing back! I have tossed the wig and am now sporting sunhats and baseball caps.
    BL
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

I had wavy coarse hair
    I had wavy coarse hair before chemo. I finished with chemo in January and my hair has come back curly! Not sure what will happen in the next several months. I will just have to wait and see. I am just happy my hair is growing back! I have tossed the wig and am now sporting sunhats and baseball caps.
    BL

Had straight hair before
    Had straight hair before chemo, came back really curly, which i had a hate/love relationship with. Then, it loosened up a lot and was easier to handle, now it is straight with a little bit of body. but i will be losing it again soon.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I had straight hair, it came
    I had straight hair, it came back curly and eventually resumed its prior straightness!And like meena, I will soon be losing mine again too...

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    chenheart said:

I had straight hair, it came
    I had straight hair, it came back curly and eventually resumed its prior straightness!And like meena, I will soon be losing mine again too...

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I had thin straight hair,
    I had thin straight hair, now thick and Curly. was blondish now dark with some gray. Its really awkward and having "growing pains" at the moment, but glad I have it. Looking forward to when Chen and Meena can tell us theirs is growing back!!!!!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    I had very thick wavy
    I had very thick wavy strawberry blonde hair...now its coming in thick black and some white (which was never there before) and very straight.
    Almost opposite of what i had...wonder how long it will be before it goes back to normal?
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    My hair has always had some
    My hair has always had some wave. After chemo it 's been curly although it has loosened some; it's been almost two years from when I finished chemo.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Thanks for all the
    Thanks for all the responses. I had heard that it might go back to original hair and like all of you, I'm glad to have hair! But I would love to get some of this curl tamed! Meena and Chen thanks for answering because I know you'll both be losing it again, but hair is such a minor thing considering what we've all been through.
    Thanks again and best of luck to all.
    Wanda
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

Thanks for all the
    Thanks for all the responses. I had heard that it might go back to original hair and like all of you, I'm glad to have hair! But I would love to get some of this curl tamed! Meena and Chen thanks for answering because I know you'll both be losing it again, but hair is such a minor thing considering what we've all been through.
    Thanks again and best of luck to all.
    Wanda

not my hair!
    I always had very straight hair ... and when it started coming in after chemo I like the "low maintenance" part of having it very short (no hair dryer, curling iron etc.) ... and it was and still is ... mostly gray ... so told the girl who cuts my hair to just chop away ... because I wanted to keep it short like Jamie Lee Curtis wears her hair in those Activa commercials. That went fine for 2 haircuts ... but now something strange is happening. It seems to have a lot more body and "almost" curls. I don't know whose hair this is on the top of my head ... but it's not like anything I've ever had. Of course now that I WANT it to be straight ... it starts poofing out. Where whas the poof when I wanted it? Oh well ... I'm just thankful to HAVE hair! :-)

hugs.
    teena
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hey Wanda
    Mine is straight. 5 months past chemo, its about 1 inch, standing straight up, still very soft. If I wear my black rimmed reading glasses I could pass for Drew Carrey on Price is Right.-HA HA. I wish it would start growing faster!
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    laurissa said:

Hey Wanda
    Mine is straight. 5 months past chemo, its about 1 inch, standing straight up, still very soft. If I wear my black rimmed reading glasses I could pass for Drew Carrey on Price is Right.-HA HA. I wish it would start growing faster!

Laurissa you really made me
    Laurissa you really made me laugh.

My hair is about an inch long now same color, same texture as it was before chemo. Starting to get al little wave to it. I had kinda wavy hair when I was young. Maybe this is my second childhood and nobody bother to tell me chemo did that too.

Hugs

Donna
  • redroses4me
    redroses4me Member Posts: 4
    Curly
    I had semi-wavy hair b/c and it's coming back curly. Course I put gel in it and scrunch it up to make it curly, trying to give it a little stye so it doesn't look like a puffy football helmet on my head LOL :)
  • Lighthouse_7
    laurissa said:

Hey Wanda

Laurissa you made me laugh too!
    Thanks for making me laugh! I'm seven months after chemo and 6 after rads. I would have to say that my lenght ( when pulled ) is maybe 2 inches but you can't tell because it's pretty tight ringlets! I have to gel it too, so I don't have "football head""oh my I do love this site because we all have so much in common!
    Laurissa, I'm jealous of your straight! I wanted to spike it and have a cool look...but I know I can't complain.....ah, why not? LOL
    Thanks to all.
    Wanda
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Curly before and curly
    Curly before and curly after.
  • mollymousemom
    mollymousemom Member Posts: 18
    CURLY OR STRAIGHT
    MY HAIR HAD A LITTLE BODY TO IT, & WAS LIGHT BROWN W/ SOME GRAY...NOW IT'S DOWN RIGHT NAPPY...THE CROWN AREA WAS LAST TO COME BACK & NOT QUITE A THICK OR KINKY AS THE REST...NOW HAIR IS SALT & PEPPER....A LOT MORE GRAY THAT I HAD BEFORE & THE HAIRLINE IS WHITE ALL THE WAY AROUND MY HEAD.....SUCH A STRANGE LOOKING HEAD OF HAIR, BUT IT SERVES IT'S PURPOSE & IS QUITE A CONVERSATION PIECE....MY HAIR GREW PRETTY FAST.....IT'S ABOUT 2 1/2 INCHES NOW & HAVE ALREADY HAD IT CUT ONCE....IT'S AS SOFT AS A LITTLE POODLE......I'M TRYING HARD NOT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT, BECAUSE AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE TO WEAR THOSE IRRITATING WIGS ANYMORE...BRIGHT SIDE TO EVERYTHING!
    MARGARET
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Hair!
    It's been just a little over a year since I finished chemo and my hair is back and thicker than ever, but to my consternation, it did not come in curly. I was really hoping for some curl, even if it was for a little while. I've always had stick-straight hair and any curl came from a perm. I do have a lot of body and I can actually style it with a blow dryer and brush, which is fun. The color came back a lot darker than before which really surprised me, because I thought for sure it would be grey. I'll try to find a more recent picture of myself than I have for my post picture. That one was taken around Christmas, so it's changed a lot since then. Connie
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    contrail said:

Hair!
    It's been just a little over a year since I finished chemo and my hair is back and thicker than ever, but to my consternation, it did not come in curly. I was really hoping for some curl, even if it was for a little while. I've always had stick-straight hair and any curl came from a perm. I do have a lot of body and I can actually style it with a blow dryer and brush, which is fun. The color came back a lot darker than before which really surprised me, because I thought for sure it would be grey. I'll try to find a more recent picture of myself than I have for my post picture. That one was taken around Christmas, so it's changed a lot since then. Connie

My hair
    My hair was pin straight before chemo and then it grew back with body on the top and curls on the sides and back. Same color except for more white but I love it.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Curly
    I had semi-wavy hair b/c and it's coming back curly. Course I put gel in it and scrunch it up to make it curly, trying to give it a little stye so it doesn't look like a puffy football helmet on my head LOL :)

This may be a dumb question,
    This may be a dumb question, but, why is it that most have curly hair when it comes back?

Is there a reason for that? Anyone know? Thanks!